Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Earrings?

I have a child who is 13 mos. Teething necklace has dislodged. Told dcm she couldn't wear it anymore. Dcm glued it on to dcg. I told her if it comes off again that's it.

Now, she took her studs out and put hoops in. She came in this morning with them on. She woke up from nap and they are undone. I took them out and plan to tell dcm she is not wearing them again, period.

What is everyone else's policy on jewellry?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

I've had mostly good luck with the few girls that have had pierced ears. They kept them in and that was that.

The one 4 yo DCG that I have now would not leave her earrings alone! Kept taking them out at quiet time. Then one day I was walking down the hall and I stepped on her earring!!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!! RIGHT THROUGH MY SHOE!!!

I told mom in no uncertain terms that she either needed to put in earrings her child could not remove or they could not be worn at day care.
Thank god it was ME who was hurt. Most of my kiddos wear socks only, so it's not unreasonable to think it could have been them. And I have two toddlers who mouth everything. Accident waiting to happen.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

I don't have a FCC. Working on it, so no policy!... But omg! What was mom thinking with hoops. Seems obvious it would cause problems for a one year old... also, I'm afraid to ask, but what do you mean "glued" it to DCG!?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCare View Post
I don't have a FCC. Working on it, so no policy!... But omg! What was mom thinking with hoops. Seems obvious it would cause problems for a one year old... also, I'm afraid to ask, but what do you mean "glued" it to DCG!?
Right? Crazy.

I searched and saw that some of you require screw on earrings... her necklace was screw on and she figured out how to undo it so should I just say no to earrings period?

She glued the clasp so she couldn't unscrew it. I guess she will just cut it off when she wants it off.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

lol i see. Well, there is no way she could unscrew earrings. I can't imagine that. That would be some kind of amazing baby!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have a no jewelry policy - it is just too risky to me.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
I have a no jewelry policy - it is just too risky to me.
Yes, just when I thought I didn't have any more policies to make
Old 10-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
Yes, just when I thought I didn't have any more policies to make
Isn't it ridiculous?!

I just redid all of my paperwork and I feel like I have to spell out every single thing.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
Isn't it ridiculous?!

I just redid all of my paperwork and I feel like I have to spell out every single thing.
.....and you will forever be editing.

Every time you think you've covered it all you WILL get a family/kid/situation that makes sure you haven't.

As for jewelry? Daycare isn't a fashion show so I don't allow any.

I used to allow screw on backs to earrings but that has posed a risk/hazard/PITA too so now I just don't allow any. period.

Makes it easier for me over all and makes the policy pretty clear and straight forward.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:53 PM

I don't have a policy but I will not look for a lost earring and I won't allow hoops or dangly earrings at all.

I have 3 girls that have or had pierced ears. All 3 have lost earrings and only one still wears them.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

Gluing the necklace is a hazard while the child is sleeping . Those are made to pop open if it gets too tight around the child's neck. No no no ! Tell her she isn't allowed any jewelry during nap except stud earring . Teething necklace should be able to be removed by an adult when necessary.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:38 AM

Seriously? Oh my gosh. I am having another chat with dcm tonight and telling her to take the thing off.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:52 AM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

Only have one with pierced ears (1 year old). I don't have a formal policy,, but I did tell DCM studs only, I wasn't searching for lost back or earrings, and if I had any problems with her or other DCKs messing with them they would have to stay out during daycare. So far I haven't had an issue.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have 1 with ears pierced and ages my first. I hate pierced ears now!! Hers are the studs and they are always falling out then mom gets upset because one is lost. I get upset because I spend forever on my hands and knees looking for the choking hazard. When my renewal contract comes up I'm going to add the screw on backs only!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:01 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

No jewelry.

Tags
earrings, jewelry, jewelry policy