Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Second Guessing Myself
trippingontoys 12:45 PM 01-02-2013
I have a six month old baby that I have had since she was 6 weeks old. She has never once in that time spit up. Today she took about an hour nap and woke up crying. I got her up and asked my husband to hold her while I got her bottle so she didn't wake up the rest of the kids crying. Not 30 seconds later she vomited all over herself and my husband. Not just spitting up. I changed her and put her in a bouncy seat to throw her clothes in the washer. A few minutes later she threw up again. After it happened 4 times in 30 minutes and I was out of clothes to put on her, I called her mom to come get her. I was holding her the last two times it happened and she was dry heaving. It just wasn't spitting up. By the time her mom got here she was smiling and acting fine.

Mom wasn't upset at all about picking her up, but now I'm questioning myself. Should I have waited to call her? Or not called her at all.

The reason I'm not sure now is she is starting baby foods and was fed prunes last night and today at lunch. But she had no reaction to the ones she ate last night. And she didn't start throwing up until 2 hours after she ate. And I don't want parents to think I call at the least little thing. I've still got two kids here after the baby and her brother left and I always worry that parents would be upset if they found out I had one vomiting and didn't send them home.

But what if it was just normal baby stuff? I worry things to death sometimes. Who am I kidding? I worry things to death all the time.
Daycarelady1979 12:58 PM 01-02-2013
I totally would have done the same thing!
cheerfuldom 01:55 PM 01-02-2013
you dont need to know why a kid is throwing up. If a child is vomiting, you call the parents the FIRST time it happens and you let them figure it out. you are taking responsibility upon yourself that you dont need. They are the parents. If their kid is sick, its their problem, not yours. If she doesnt get sick again at home, thats great....but that doesnt mean that you did anything wrong in sending her home. BTW, next time send the stinky clothes home! if they need any proof that you were telling the truth, there it is!
Scout 03:13 PM 01-02-2013
I would have done the same
e.j. 04:51 PM 01-02-2013
I would have done the same thing, too.
Sereetta 04:58 PM 01-02-2013
I think you did the right thing. Never ignore your instincts.
Mom&Provider 05:22 AM 01-03-2013
Nope, I would have called for pick-up too. If she had throw up once perhaps I would have said food related, but more then that, not so much.

Even my own kids when sick go through periods of sitting still and other moments of more energy. Just because she appeared ok after throwing up a bunch won't mean it won't happen again or that she is fine!
LK5kids 11:14 AM 01-03-2013
No, I don't think this is normal....especially with dry heaves.
kitykids3 11:18 AM 01-03-2013
Two strikes and your out. First time, might be food. If it happens twice in a 24 hour period, then they go/stay home. I also would have just sent the clothes home too. What's your policy on her coming back tomorrow now?
Tags:sick children pickup, vomiting
Reply Up