Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Potential Provider Saying Hi...I'm New Here!
BabyMomma 01:01 PM 07-19-2011
Hi Folks. I've been lurking around this forum here and there and decided, what the hey, might as well get in on the action.

Thus hello, how are you, good, etc. etc. I'm a mom of two toddler divas (literally...you should see my nail polish bin) and have been self-employed for a few years now. Due to "life changes," I'm faced with the option of having to go back to the work force and I'm not going back willfully (kicking and screaming more like it). I'm already involved in a children's service and have been asked by many parents why I don't offer childcare? So, I'm here to learn and see if becoming a Child-Care provider is something that may be a good fit for me.

Look forward to the experience.

Be blessed all!
Cat Herder 06:22 PM 07-19-2011
Welcome!!
daycare 07:16 PM 07-19-2011
Welcome
Hope we can be of help to you!!!!
rbmom 05:25 AM 07-20-2011
Hello and welcome!
BabyMomma 03:16 PM 07-20-2011
The titles says it all. Looking forward to much dialogue here. For those who responded (and anyone else) 3 questions:

(1) Are you in home or center care?
(2) How many years have you been in the childcare business?
(3) How has it changed over the years (depending on when you started)?

Thanks.
mom2many 03:36 PM 07-20-2011
Welcome! I'm new here too. I have operated my home daycare for 25 years. Regulations have changed over the years...more paperwork is required by the state and continual changes in what rules/laws we follow here in CA...but overall, my business hasn't changed much...I just watch way more little ones than I did at the beginning!
I began when first child was born and wanted to be able to stay home with him. This business allowed me to do that, while helping to supplement my husband's income! It was and still is a wonderful & rewarding job.
BabyMomma 03:12 AM 07-23-2011
My mom was a provider in the 80-90's for near 20 years and was very good at it. Kept a waiting list, etc. Never even thought to ask her about the business, because I didn't think I'd even consider going this route.

I think more than anything she had a mind for business and the love for children grew with it. At her funeral, numerous people talked about how she helped them get started in the childcare business, they were able to leave corporate, do this, that and the other. I sat there with my mouth opened because I only remember "she kept kids."

What I wouldn't give to get that advice now... then again, that's why I'm here - go figure (lol).
Michael 11:05 AM 07-23-2011
Welcome, let me know if I can answer any forum questions.
BabyMomma 07:14 AM 07-29-2011
Will do...
Cat Herder 08:58 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by BabyMomma:
My mom was a provider in the 80-90's (lol).
Great....now I feel old.

1. I am home based.

2. My first daycare center job was 24 years ago (1987). I opened my home daycare 17 years ago (1994).

3. A. The State is so involved in my personal business and home that I feel like a State servant without benefits, representation or civil rights.

B. The parents have changed to a kind of "no parenting" philosophy so the kids seem to WANT to be here, they grab on tight in the mornings with that sweet little "I'm home" sigh , they cry at going home time (I don't remember seeing that as often 15 years ago). ALL my kids are here from open to close; 50 hours a week. (that was rare just 5 years ago)

C. I am expected to be it all...on call for evening, weekend and their vacation "emergencies" involving such childcare issues as "he wont eat for me", "how do you get him to sleep" or "she has not pooped in two days". They are so sweet about it, it is hard to get upset...they REALLY don't know where else to get this information.
mom2many 06:46 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Great....now I feel old.

1. I am home based.

2. My first daycare center job was 24 years ago (1987). I opened my home daycare 17 years ago (1994).

3. A. The State is so involved in my personal business and home that I feel like a State servant without benefits, representation or civil rights.

B. The parents have changed to a kind of "no parenting" philosophy so the kids seem to WANT to be here, they grab on tight in the mornings with that sweet little "I'm home" sigh , they cry at going home time (I don't remember seeing that as often 15 years ago). ALL my kids are here from open to close; 50 hours a week. (that was rare just 5 years ago)

C. I am expected to be it all...on call for evening, weekend and their vacation "emergencies" involving such childcare issues as "he wont eat for me", "how do you get him to sleep" or "she has not pooped in two days". They are so sweet about it, it is hard to get upset...they REALLY don't know where else to get this information.

I am on the same page with you & totally agree with all of your points, but I especially liked 3A! I started my in home daycare business in 1986 & have seen so many changes over the years in this aspect alone!

I too feel ancient at times...even though I just turned 50! I have some of my dcks gramas younger than me!
BabyMomma 10:15 PM 08-21-2011
I agree. BTW, don't feel old. I'm sure you've got the zip of a 20 year old, especially if you've worked with children for the length of time mentioned. It's funny you mention how things have changed. As a parent, it's amazing to me how many "today" parents take childcare for granted.

I had my children's daycare centers so spoiled to me being involved they forgot I didn't work there. I never wanted them to feel it was their obligation to take care of my children. My involvement was to let them know I appreciated them looking after and teaching my children.

As far as the State is concerned, Lordy, that's a whole story in itself. Anywhere money making is involved, the State is sure to follow...
Tags:new member
Reply Up