Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One of My Cousins Facebook Posts..... OH MY!
JJPlaycare 03:50 PM 03-27-2012
Question: Do any other independent contractors out there get paid vacations? We are new to the in-home daycare thing and had our first interview last night...in her contract she listed 9 paid holidays and 15 days of paid vacation (aka we pay her for 15 days of service when she takes off and we still have to pay her, and then pay someone else to watch our child). I understand the need to be able to... take time off, but I'm confused at the concept of paid time off for independent contractors that work from home...my husband and I don't even get that much time off combined...and we accrue on a monthly basis, not in a lump sum...also our employers don't have to hire someone else to do our job when we take paid time off...and we don't get to enjoy the perks of working from home...not sure I understand this whole thing. Thoughts? Clarifications?
Hunni Bee 04:04 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
Question: Do any other independent contractors out there get paid vacations? We are new to the in-home daycare thing and had our first interview last night...in her contract she listed 9 paid holidays and 15 days of paid vacation (aka we pay her for 15 days of service when she takes off and we still have to pay her, and then pay someone else to watch our child). I understand the need to be able to... take time off, but I'm confused at the concept of paid time off for independent contractors that work from home...my husband and I don't even get that much time off combined...and we accrue on a monthly basis, not in a lump sum...also our employers don't have to hire someone else to do our job when we take paid time off...and we don't get to enjoy the perks of working from home...not sure I understand this whole thing. Thoughts? Clarifications?
24 days of paid closures in one year??? That's beyond outrageous. That's ridiculous even if she didn't require payment. A lot of providers charge for a few days vacation time and some holidays are a given...but fifteen is not even worth signing with her. They'd spend just as much money in backup care. Nah...
daycare 04:08 PM 03-27-2012
I know there are providers out there that get people to sign that. Me personally, I don't charge for the days that I close. I state that I can take up to 14 days off each year, but never have.
I am closed all federal holidays and plus two, so that for me is paid vacation time.
Bella99 04:10 PM 03-27-2012
Agree,Agree,Agree,WAIT WHAT??

That last sentance threw me off from agreeing with her fully. "and we don't get to enjoy the perks of working from home...not sure I understand this whole thing"

ETA ; I agree with "5 paid vacation days per year" whether she takes them all at the same time to make a week, or scattered.
MyAngels 04:15 PM 03-27-2012
Ah, the old "Provider Paid Time Off" beef.

My response to this would be: If this provider's policies do not meet your needs you need to keep looking until you find one that you agree with.

FTR I have no problem with her taking 24 paid days off per year, and if she can find families who are willing to sign on, I say go for it.
SunshineMama 04:19 PM 03-27-2012
So did you comment on her post?
Angelwings36 04:43 PM 03-27-2012
I take 15 days of paid holidays per year (3 weeks) plus 5 paid personal days to use for illness, funerals, appointments, etc. As well as all stats paid.

I guess I'm a little crazy but honestly a lot of people get 6 weeks of paid holidays per year, paid sick days and paid stats.

Never had a problem signing a family on and I would not reduce the amount of holiday time I take.

I get the same amount of holiday time as my husband, which was the whole idea. Meaning we can both take our holidays at the same time and have real family time!
youretooloud 04:45 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
24 days of paid closures in one year??? That's beyond outrageous. That's ridiculous even if she didn't require payment. A lot of providers charge for a few days vacation time and some holidays are a given...but fifteen is not even worth signing with her. They'd spend just as much money in backup care. Nah...

I agree.. that's insane. Maybe it's regional, but I'd never ask for that, nor would I ever get anybody to sign with me if I did... they'd all go to a large chain center and pay the same while having full time care and always open.
Crystal 04:49 PM 03-27-2012
JJ....did your cousin post what you stated above on Facebook.....and who is the provider, you or someone else? Curious because I recognize you as a provider here and your post says your cousin's facebook
BusyBee 05:40 PM 03-27-2012
Shrug.

I have 9 paid vacation days per year. I have 3 sick days and reserve the right to take unpaid days throughout the year. I typically take 3 and they are always notified for the full year ahead.

I take 10 days of 1/2 rate paid vacation, but my families get 5 days unpaid vacation. So I feel that it evens out. They have not once complained. If they do, I will remind them that there are plenty of providers out there that charge the same rate 52 weeks a year, regardless of days off, vacation, etc. And they charge WAY more than I do.
AnneCordelia 06:03 PM 03-27-2012
I take 10 paid statutory holidays per year and reserve the right to take up to 15 days of unpaid vacation.

All my families are off and paid for those stat holidays so that is a no-brainer for me to take. The three weeks vacation...well, my husband gets 4 and my daycare families all get 4 weeks vacation (each, meaning 8 weeks combined for each family if taken consecutively). I don't feel my 3 weeks vacay are a hardship, especially as they are unpaid.

I offer my DCFs one week of free vacation time for themselves to use as well.
nannyde 06:14 PM 03-27-2012
I think she's confusing independent contractor with self employed. If she doesn't want to pay for the paid days off she can just pay an additional daily rate to cover the providers paid days off. It's better for the provider if she pays daily then the provider doesn't have the worry that come vacay time the parent will split to avoid the paid time off.
momma2girls 06:51 PM 03-27-2012
I have 2 weeks(10 days ) paid vac. days, and paid Holidays. I am adding 3 personal/sick days this next yr. There have been 3 times, when daycare gave their sicknesses to everyone in the daycare inc. myself and all my children!!!
SunshineMama 04:37 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I think she's confusing independent contractor with self employed. If she doesn't want to pay for the paid days off she can just pay an additional daily rate to cover the providers paid days off. It's better for the provider if she pays daily then the provider doesn't have the worry that come vacay time the parent will split to avoid the paid time off.
That's similar to what I did. The first year I started I had paid holidays, and everyone all of a sudden had a problem paying for my 5 days, even though they signed a contract.

I changed my contract to 5 days of unpaid vacation, but changed all of the federal holidays off from unpaid to being paid holidays.

So actually, I get MORE paid time off this year than last year, and no one has a problem with paying for the holidays. I think a lot of the parental complaints from those who have a problem with paid holidays is that they are not using the service, and have to pay for someone else, so it can put a financial burdeon on them. If you took the financial burdeon out of the picture, they probably would be fine paying for our vacation.

That being said, there are parents out there that WANT their provider to have 15 days of paid vacation and paid holidays. There are parents that understand how hard we work, and that we care for their most precious little gifts in the world. They want their provider to be treated like gold because they know that 50+ hours a week of work for us is draining, and that fresh, happy, non-burnt out providers make better caretakers for their children.

I have said this before: You would not want a surgeon who is on the last few hours of his 48 hour shift to perform surgery on you, and you wouldnt want a childcare provider who hasn't been able to afford rest time or vacation, working 50-60 hour weeks for months on end without a break- to watch your kid. The human mind and body can only take so much- You put oil in your car- now put $$ into your childcare!
lil angels 05:23 AM 03-28-2012
I have 12 days a year paid and I also have paid holidays. I have never had anyone not sign because of my vacation time. I tell people when they call I am looking for someone that has very good back up care maybe a grandma because I take most of my time of during the summer. I have been doing this for 13 yrs and feel I should get my vacation like e everyone else.
MrsB 06:45 AM 03-28-2012
Mine is 5 paid personal days/ 12 paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation paid at half the weekly rate. I also give parents 2 weeks vacation paid at half the weekly rate if they give 2 weeks notice before the vacation.

I have never had anyone complain to me about it.

I also give the parents the option if they would like to have to not pay on my vacations I will give them a higher weekly rate throughout the rest of the year. Their choice.
JJPlaycare 07:46 AM 03-28-2012
I am a fellow provider and no I am not the provider she is speaking about. We live far apart.

Now one of her comments:
The 3 weeks PTO came as kind of a shock to us. I really liked her but we'd be coughing up around $1300 for her PTO then...might still be worth it, just caught us totally off guard. Alissa - i...t might be different if we (the employers as she looks at us) were the ones determining the factors of the contract, but this was her contract on her terms, yet it is being presented to us. It's like she's trying to make it work like businesses operate but she's not a business (doesn't have to pay the same taxes as businesses do and actually gets to write virtually everything off that is spent that our child touches), and she gets the perks of working from home and scheduling her own hours etc. so I just don't see a direct translation as to how it is the same as a business. If I were hiring one nanny to watch just my children I could see that - but she has 9 other kids in her care and requires the same amount from all of them... We would still pay for holidays and when he is sick or we are on vacation, but I'm just having a hard time swallowing the 15 days off when that is above and beyond what most companies give.

My comment to her was:
Maybe you should stay home and start up your own in home childcare BUISNESS and enjoy some of the perks and benefits you speak of.....

Her Reply:

I'm thinking about it! These people with 9-10 kids make more than $80k!! And they can write off anything and everything that a daycare child touches, including cleaning service and gas. And the government sometimes subsidizes their food program...I'm starting to understand why more women are opting to stay home...what an awesome career (if you love kids of course)!
MrsB 07:53 AM 03-28-2012
Point her in the direction of the vent thread first. I agree this job has a lot of perks and is the best job for me on earth. However, not for the reasons she stated.
daycare 08:47 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Point her in the direction of the vent thread first. I agree this job has a lot of perks and is the best job for me on earth. However, not for the reasons she stated.
lol......hahahah Invite her over for a day and let her see you in action....that might be a good start for her...

My friend wanted to start one and I invited her over for a day to observe.....ahhahahah she said NO way in the world could I deal with that all day even 1 day a week....
MizzCheryl 08:53 AM 03-28-2012
Dude we can take off our GAS?
Wow I only take some milage.
I should so be talking to her cause it doesn't quite work that way for me
80K LOL LOL LOL ha ha ha ha ha haha
nannyde 09:16 AM 03-28-2012
I am a fellow provider and no I am not the provider she is speaking about. We live far apart.

Now one of her comments:
The 3 weeks PTO came as kind of a shock to us. I really liked her but we'd be coughing up around $1300 for her PTO then...might still be worth it, just caught us totally off guard. Alissa - i...t might be different if we (the employers as she looks at us) were the ones determining the factors of the contract, but this was her contract on her terms, yet it is being presented to us. It's like she's trying to make it work like businesses operate but she's not a business (doesn't have to pay the same taxes as businesses do and actually gets to write virtually everything off that is spent that our child touches), and she gets the perks of working from home and scheduling her own hours etc. so I just don't see a direct translation as to how it is the same as a business. If I were hiring one nanny to watch just my children I could see that - but she has 9 other kids in her care and requires the same amount from all of them... We would still pay for holidays and when he is sick or we are on vacation, but I'm just having a hard time swallowing the 15 days off when that is above and beyond what most companies give.

My comment to her was:
Maybe you should stay home and start up your own in home childcare BUISNESS and enjoy some of the perks and benefits you speak of.....

Her Reply:

I'm thinking about it! These people with 9-10 kids make more than $80k!! And they can write off anything and everything that a daycare child touches, including cleaning service and gas. And the government sometimes subsidizes their food program...I'm starting to understand why more women are opting to stay home...what an awesome career (if you love kids of course)!

I've seen some HYSTERICAL posts on this site before but I gotta give it to ya... this is the best one yet.

Ya can't make this up.

She should definitely start her own child care. Maybe when she sees the first one leave and she doesn't get notice or a penny of unemployment she'll GET that it is a real business.
SunshineMama 09:19 AM 03-28-2012

Now one of her comments:

My comment to her was:

Her Reply:

BWAHAHAHA! 80k$$$

Sorry....

Do any of YOU make 80k? I sure as heck dont even make haf of that...before taxes, and I work 50-60 hours a week!
JJPlaycare 10:43 AM 03-28-2012
AND my reply..... LOL wish I had enough backbone to say this to some of the parents I haJeney I can promise you, no one, no where makes $80K a year doing in home childcare. Yes in home childcare comes with some of the perks you speak of such as making your own hours, your own contract and running your house how you want it to be run... just a few of the benefits of being self employed. ; ) However, there are ALOT of downfalls as well. No health benefits, wear and tear of your house and belongings, no retirement plans, no unemployment when a family decides to leave with no notice and leaves you jobless, etc. Childcare is very costly to operate as well, so the money you are making as a childcare provider is also being put right back into the buisness to be able to provide for your child. You speak of all of the write offs, yes they are there, but only a portion can be used and gas definately isn't one of them. The food reimbursements do not add up to how much it actually costs to feed a child, it is a small portion. A childcare provider works 50-60 hours a week being a second mother to your children and ontop of that 50-60 hours there is prep time outside of daycare hours which is spent cooking, cleaning, shopping, curriculum/craft set ups, etc. If you break it down hourly how much you are paying your childcare provider to love your child unconditionally, teach, provide and be a second mommy to them, it is definately priceless. Childcare can be a very thankless job...^^ props to _______ for being so thankful for his provider and realizing just how hard they work and how important they are in your life as well as your childs, parents like you are sometimes hard to come by. : ) I know the journey to finding childcare is a rough one and you only want what is best for your child, which is understandable and completely important and that is why you as a parent gets to shop around and choose what best fits your family. This provider doesn't sound like a good fit and that is ok there is someone else out there that will meet your needs, but please realize that childcare providers work very hard, put in alot of hours outside of regular daycare hours, put alot of money back into their buisnesses to benefit your child and definately deserve time off and to be paid for it, it takes a special person to be able to do what they do and it definately isn't popsicles and lollipops all the time. I know it sounds expensive and it is alot to swallow, but your provider will be there for your child when you aren't able to be and to me that is absolutely priceless and you need to find someone who fits that role to a T! She is out there and you will find her, it just takes time, good luck to you and if you have any questions or need any help feel free to contact me, would love to hear from you! : )ve dealt with over the years! : )

The Dad I mentioned and gave props to, his comment was this... : D

One last point that I think is very important is that those holidays really recharge our provider. It is hard work to care for 8-10 kids every day and can be very draining. When she gets a week off it really recharges her and benefits our... children that are there. For my wife and I, we feel that money is well spent as it really helps our provider stay focus and devoted in the care she provides. Without it, we feel her ability to stay energetic would really be hindered
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 03-28-2012
Not to high-jack this thread but making $80K a year before taxes is not unthinkable or impossible.

10 full time kids at $160 per week = $1600 per week x 50 weeks (let's say 2 weeks off with no pay for vacations) = $80,000.

This is before taxes. Plus figure in drop in rates, part time rates and other charges and making $80K before taxes is easily attainable.
nannyde 11:39 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
BWAHAHAHA! 80k$$$

Sorry....

Do any of YOU make 80k? I sure as heck dont even make haf of that...before taxes, and I work 50-60 hours a week!
Yes I've made that plus many years of doing Cat C daycare here with a "co-provider" and running double shifts but you don't get to keep it all yourself. There are a lot of hard costs involved in generating that much money from home. The wear and tear on your house/stuff and staff are huge.
SunshineMama 11:44 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not to high-jack this thread but making $80K a year before taxes is not unthinkable or impossible.

10 full time kids at $160 per week = $1600 per week x 50 weeks (let's say 2 weeks off with no pay for vacations) = $80,000.

This is before taxes. Plus figure in drop in rates, part time rates and other charges and making $80K before taxes is easily attainable.
Yes, you could gross 80k using those figures. I was thinking more along the lines of what you net as an individual. I think OP's cousin was indicating that the single provider was getting 80K a year all to herself, which, if that IS the case, I am moving to wherever she lives

I am only allowed 6 total in my state, and 2 are my own so I dont get paid with those 2, so 80k is totally unreachable for me at the moment.
CheekyChick 11:48 AM 03-28-2012
Even though I'd love it and think it's fair, I would never have my parents pay for my vacation time. I care too much about them and I'd worry how they would find alternate care and pay for it - plus me.

I take Federal Holidays off (paid) and cherish each and every one of those days.
Ariana 12:00 PM 03-28-2012
I think the problem with her line of thinking is that she's only looking at the best case scenario. Can she handle 10 kids? Will she always have 10 full-time kids on a constant basis? Will she be hiring someone else to help with those 10 kids? Paying for food and toys and art supplies for 10 kids is not cheap!!

I think WAY too many people get into this business because they think it's very lucrative but in reality we're usually able to pay the bills.
JJPlaycare 12:06 PM 03-28-2012
I think she is looking at the hard figures thinking this much times this much/child equals this much and yes you can MAKE $80K easily, but do you walk away with $80K no and that was the point I was trying to make.
Tags:paid vacations
Reply Up