Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Is this OCD or a Sensory Issue?
CedarCreek 11:18 AM 03-19-2013
This is for myself.

All of my life I've had issues with touching certain textures.

Foil, wool, tulle, and silk all freak me out. Some to the point of even thinking about touching them will make me gag.

Recently though, I've noticed that I now have to "warm" my hands up before I touch fleece. And I used to love fleece! And when I say warm my hands up I mean I have to vigorously rub them against my jeans before i touch it.

Anyway, does anyone know if something like this an OCD problem or a sensory problem? I've read different answers.

Or better yet, anyone else deal with this?
Mom&Provider 11:32 AM 03-19-2013
Sounds sensory to me - not based on anything but what I've read/seen.

OCD would come into play if you had to rub your hands on your pants before touching anything, not just specific things. I think OCD is more a ritual thing right? Like when someone has to turn the lights on and off X number of times before leaving them on or turning them off.

Have you spoken to your Dr.? Perhaps he/she can help!
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 03-19-2013
I agree...it sounds like a sensory issue.

If you google, issues touching certain fabrics, there is LOADS of info about it.

For those with Sensory Integration Dysfunction (SID) or sensory processing disorder (SPD), sensory information is sensed normally, but perceived abnormally.

I would definitely consult with a professional if you feel this interferes with normal daily functioning.
e.j. 11:57 AM 03-19-2013
Sounds like a sensory issue to me, too. If you "had" to rub your hands on your jeans before you could touch fleece as part of a ritual, my guess would be OCD but since you are doing that to "warm up" your hands in order to stand the feel of fleece, I'd say it's a sensory thing.

My son has sensory integrations issues. When he was younger, I had to clip the tags on the back of his shirts before he could wear them and he has never liked long sleeve shirts. His issues now are mostly food related. He may like the taste of a certain food but can't eat it because of it's texture.

I used to have some of my own sensory issues. Nasal sounding voices could bring me to tears when I was young and they still bother me somewhat now as an adult. As a kid, I couldn't stand the feel of certain fabrics on my skin and anything touching my wrists bothered me to no end! I still can't stand the feel of cotton. It's a killer to have to take dried cotton towels out of the dryer!
CedarCreek 12:00 PM 03-19-2013
Thanks!

I just wasn't sure because I have read conflicting things. I didn't know if it was sensory because the warming up of my hands just developed.

I do want to talk to my doctor about it, just not sure if I should talk to the gp or the therapist! I will talk to the gp!
CedarCreek 12:03 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Sounds like a sensory issue to me, too. If you "had" to rub your hands on your jeans before you could touch fleece as part of a ritual, my guess would be OCD but since you are doing that to "warm up" your hands in order to stand the feel of fleece, I'd say it's a sensory thing.

My son has sensory integrations issues. When he was younger, I had to clip the tags on the back of his shirts before he could wear them and he has never liked long sleeve shirts. His issues now are mostly food related. He may like the taste of a certain food but can't eat it because of it's texture.

I used to have some of my own sensory issues. Nasal sounding voices could bring me to tears when I was young and they still bother me somewhat now as an adult. As a kid, I couldn't stand the feel of certain fabrics on my skin and anything touching my wrists bothered me to no end! I still can't stand the feel of cotton. It's a killer to have to take dried cottom towels out of the dryer!
Not being able to touch cotton would be terrible!

It's pretty much one of the only materials I wear!
AfterSchoolMom 06:36 PM 03-19-2013
Yes, it sounds like a sensory thing to me.

I can't stand to touch styrofoam, and I absolutely cannot tolerate the sound of styrofoam squeaking when it's rubbed against itself or something else. It makes me feel nauseous.

My son won't wear any clothing with buttons, collars, or high necks. He won't wear sweaters or any rough fabrics. It's challenging to dress him for special occasions.
Heidi 07:03 PM 03-19-2013
when I was a kid, coloring with a yellow crayon made me nauseous....

I just remembered that...

OP-I think it's sensory. We have a few sensory people in this family. If it were OCD, I agree with the pp's that there would need to be patterns or rituals vs. just aversions.
e.j. 07:54 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Not being able to touch cotton would be terrible!

It's pretty much one of the only materials I wear!
Well...I probably should have been more clear. For some reason, cotton clothing doesn't generally bother me but having to fold cotton towels just out of the dryer does. I can get through it without too much trauma but it's not my favorite thing to do. What really bothers me, though, is touching cotton balls! (Ooh, I'm cringing right now just thinking about it!) I can get through a craft using them but I usually either quickly toss them on the table or have the kids help themselves from the bag so I don't have to touch them for long.
CedarCreek 04:48 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Well...I probably should have been more clear. For some reason, cotton clothing doesn't generally bother me but having to fold cotton towels just out of the dryer does. I can get through it without too much trauma but it's not my favorite thing to do. What really bothers me, though, is touching cotton balls! (Ooh, I'm cringing right now just thinking about it!) I can get through a craft using them but I usually either quickly toss them on the table or have the kids help themselves from the bag so I don't have to touch them for long.
Speaking of crafts, touching those poms is awful! I would like to not use them at all but they are so versatile.
Patches 06:24 AM 03-20-2013
Sounds sensory for sure

I can't stand chalk! I hate the way it feels and the sound it makes when writing or drawing. I can't even stand to think about it.

I used to not be able to stand the feel or sound of sheets. I would just have a comforter on my bed and no sheets. Not even certain pillow cases. Now, it's not a problem

Anyway, my point in saying all that is that maybe it;s something that can develop or go away over time.
Tags:ocd, sensory problems
Reply Up