Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Was Weird
countrymom 07:38 AM 08-20-2012
I just had a lady come to the door with her 2 kids looking for care.

Instead of knocking, she just walked right in, which is weird (my odd was hollering to me that there is some boy coming up my driveway)

she's looking for care for her 2 boys, a 3 yr old and a 9 yr old. I told her that I don't do school agers.

here's the best part. I've had my sign down for 2 weeks maybe 3 but thats because I've been making a new one. So we put it up on sat. She tells me that she's been trying to get a hold of me for a while. Which is weird because I'm always home. And she STARTS HER NEW JOB TOMMORROW.

not only this, she wanted care for 630am till about 3pm which means in laymans terms, that she'll drop him off at 6am till 330pm, BUT HERE'S THE KICKER. Its only till october and it was going to be roughly 2 days a week.

so I did give her some other people and places to look at. But she said that this job was going to just supplement her income, so unless she makes alot of money, I'm not sure how she thought she was going to make money, after she pays me.
Thetotspot 01:00 PM 08-20-2012
Every single one of the parents I have...except the one that started today...walked in and never called ahead. so far it has all worked out. but I don't run out of my home...i would actually be freaked out by that. I did babysit a girl out of my home years ago and my husband and I, though we said they could walk right in to get her, never really got past that feeling of intrusion. Especially in days when early for drop off and I wasn't fully ready for the day. Sorry it was not a better situation...just the right amount of kids, right ages, right hours, right attitude...with a mom who knows how to dial a phone
MarinaVanessa 01:15 PM 08-20-2012
I would FREAK out if someone just up and walked into my home. Who does that?! I can understand that someone would come up and knock and such especially if there was a sign posted out in the front but she just WALKED in?! No way!!
providerandmomof4 01:48 PM 08-20-2012
I had a similar thing happen the other day. It was right during nap time but my dog was barking his head off from out in the yard. So I look outside and then go out to my driveway when I see her and ask if I can help her. So, she comes up and asks if I do daycare. (I had my sign down too) I tell her yes. She asks for my info and I wrote down my name and phone number on a piece of paper and advised her to call me and we can set up an interview and I would give her a packet at that point. (Didn't really want to give an entire packet during this kind of setting) Was it rude? I'm not sure ....I really think she wanted to come in but it was naptime and I felt totally unprepared for an impromptu interview. She never called me. I felt strange about the whole incident....
Blackcat31 01:52 PM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I would FREAK out if someone just up and walked into my home. Who does that?! I can understand that someone would come up and knock and such especially if there was a sign posted out in the front but she just WALKED in?! No way!!
I have two DCK's who came to me in an unconventional manner.

One the dad walked up and knocked on the door and said "I drive by all the time on my way home from work and see the kids so I was wondering if you were a daycare and if so, if you had any spaces open." We don't live in a huge city so I wasn't really worried and said yes if he was interested in setting up an interview he was welcome to schedule one. He (and his GF) came later that week, enrolled their child and have been here ever since.

The second one was weird, I had a caller who asked if I was a daycare. When I said yes, she said "Ok, I come in then. I am outside."

I told her politely that I didn't do impromtu interviews so she would have to schedule a different time so I had some notice. She did, they signed on and are "golden" parents. Turns out mom was foreign and they don't have daycares in her home country so searching, interviewing and all that stuff was completely unfamiliar to her.

I have gotten some weird situations before and a few I thought "No way would I deal with this family....." but I just try to take each situation as it is and listen to my gut instincts and go from there.
countrymom 01:57 PM 08-20-2012
it was weird and she already told the boys that they were coming here, dh was shocked that she walked right in, we just finished breaky so I had all the dishes everywhere, and the kitchen was messy.
Happy Hearts 02:31 PM 08-20-2012
One time, I was having a yard sale. It started pouring rain, so we took down the signs and packed everything back in the house. Later in the morning we could hear someone downstairs. It was a lady rifling through the boxes in my house!!!!!!!! I'm sure glad we were home, because I never lock my doors unless the daycare kids are there so they can't escape.
Reply Up