Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Earn Money Outside Child Care?
TomCopeland 02:56 PM 09-21-2012
I want to write an article about providers who earn money in other ways besides caring for children. Do you have a part-time job? Do you earn money on weekends? Do you do fundraisers? If you would like to tell me more about what you do for my article, email me at tomcopeland@live.com.
clep 03:45 PM 09-21-2012
I run another business providing a university accredited curriculum to parents and professionals in the field of personal development and leadership. I also help others to start their own home based business in the field. I make four times the money I make as a provider with six children in care and my rates are not cheap.

I would quit my day home today, but I am having a hard time leaving a girl that has been in my care for three years. I will quit over the next few months. I just need some time to absorb and process losing her every day.
cheerfuldom 04:13 PM 09-21-2012
we do! we make a variety of handmade items and sell online or at local festivals. its not anything major for right now....more of a hobby but we could easily make more if we had more time to put into the venture.
Crystal 04:34 PM 09-21-2012
Hi Tom. I do some side stuff.

I am a mentor teacher for the California Early Childhood Mentor Program. I mentor student teachers, they conduct their practicum hours in my program and I also mentor them at their programs as well. I conduct workshops for them as well. I am an independent consultant for SETA/Headstart, conducting environmental rating scales for them. I also do this for the school district.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM!
Sugar Magnolia 04:43 PM 09-21-2012
I sell antiques online. I wish I didn't have to. My mother in law died in April, we have over 6000 items to sell. She was an antique dealer, it is her stock. Tedious, huge hassle, not fun, in fact, I hate it.
Crystal 05:32 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I sell antiques online. I wish I didn't have to. My mother in law died in April, we have over 6000 items to sell. She was an antique dealer, it is her stock. Tedious, huge hassle, not fun, in fact, I hate it.
As much as you hate it, would you please share a link?
Sunchimes 05:46 PM 09-21-2012
I do, although it's rather convoluted. I had an etsy shop selling handmade toys, purses, and any other fabric craft that struck my fancy. I haven't done anything in a long time because my sewing room in now my playroom and there wasn't time.

I lost one of my 3 kids recently, and I haven't been able to replace her. So, I expect my shop to start up again since I'm only working 3 days a week.

But, last night, we made a new plan. My semi-retired husband has a part time business. I've worked with him off and on for over 30 years, so it isn't anything new to me. He has a mobile car/truck wash, mostly car dealers right now. He has a dealer that has been wanting him, but he didn't want to take it on. He has some health issues and it's just too much for him. I decided last night that we could take that new account and I could go one day a week to help him. In 4 or 5 hours, I can make as much--or some weeks more--as I would with a full time dck. It isn't my favorite work, but it isn't bad and I can do anything for a few hours. The only reason I started daycare is that in this economy, it's hard to pick up new dealers who want to spend money getting their cars washed each week.

If this works out, and I have no reason to believe it won't, I will make in 32 hours what I was making in 50 hours a few months ago. I won't give up daycare though. For one thing, unless the economy improves, it's hard to find accounts, especially since we live in such a rural area. We lose work if it rains or if it is below freezing. We don't like putting all our eggs in one basket. Second, I am crazy about the 2 day care kids I have. I don't want to give them up until they go off to school in 2 and 3 years. Of course, if I lose them, I'll probably move to the city and get out of this dead town. I'm thinking it will be easier to get kids there.
MyAngels 06:25 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
As much as you hate it, would you please share a link?
Oooh yes - if you have a link do share .
queenbee 06:35 PM 09-21-2012
I have fun making boutique hair bows, tutus, tutu dresses and other fun clothes

I use naptime and evenings to make them. My dcg's are spoiled. They're always getting free stuff
Sugar Magnolia 06:55 AM 09-22-2012
Crystal, My Angels,.....I sell them one item at a time on ebay and craigslist, right now I have a pie safe listed.

I need a better way. I truly hate it.
wahmof3 07:15 AM 09-22-2012
I have really wanted to, but haven't found the market I want to get into. I've thought about things like thirty-one, mary kay, scentsy, etc. but it seems like everyone is selling those things. I'm looking for something different. I could use the extra income AND the adult interaction
Happy Hearts 07:42 AM 09-22-2012
I sell Close To My Heart scrapbooking supplies.
MyAngels 07:51 AM 09-22-2012
Crystal, My Angels,.....I sell them one item at a time on ebay and craigslist, right now I have a pie safe listed.

I need a better way. I truly hate it.
Maybe you should set up an e-Bay store? I used to sell vintage and antique glass that way, but have gotten away from it the past few years. It was a bit better than tending to individual auctions IMO.

If you have 6,000 things maybe you should contact an auction house in your area? I know they take a commission, but you could move a lot of stuff fast that way.
BABYLUVER 11:10 AM 09-22-2012
The last 2 years were so unrealistically bad that I just quit and now work a regular full-time job. I used to work part-time jobs during slower times but it's too much sometimes, when you know your business isn't doing well. Partly, it was no calls, but when I would get calls and promises of registration, it would be that unlicensed/unregulated daycares would undercut rates so much that no licensed person in their right mind, could/would compete. So, I shut down completely.
providerandmomof4 02:56 PM 09-22-2012
Last Christmas I worked at our local Arena for some extra Christmas money. Not a good wage at all but I had to find something that worked around my daycare hours, which unfortunately doesn't leave very much to choose from. I made it work, rushing there the second dcp's picked up and getting home around 10pm, three to four nights a week. Needless to say, I quit after Christmas.
lindysmiles 03:26 PM 09-22-2012
I do. I work 4 to as many as I want hours per month as a homecare RN. I don't at all miss working full-time in this field, as full-time was extremely overtime and I never saw my kids/husband. But it's good to keep my skills up should I ever leave home daycare, which I hope I never have to do. Niether one provide retirement options, so I guess my retirement plan is to work forever!
MNMum 03:52 PM 09-22-2012
Several! I work very part-time as a NICU RN and a Lactation Consultant - right now it has been about 3 days per month, but I could work as many as I would like.

Also, we have 3 rental homes. So, for the past three weeks I have been tearing out carpet, painting, moving appliances, very glamourous stuff. Right now my husband does most of the business side of this.

My daycare hours are very short as compared to many of the providers on this board. I am open Mon-Thursday from 7:30-4:30
thatdivalady 04:11 PM 09-22-2012
I work as a Therapist, my hours are flexible. I think that actually helps my families take some of my recommendations!
momma2girls 05:12 PM 09-22-2012
I am a nurse, and a Scentsy consultant- I have been a nurse for 20 yrs. quit almost 10 yrs. ago, and I have been selling Scentsy for 3 yrs. and LOVE IT!!!!!
countrymom 06:04 AM 09-23-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
I sell Close To My Heart scrapbooking supplies.
I love their stuff.
countrymom 06:08 AM 09-23-2012
I too made hair bows and such, this year the big festival was cancelled so I do have an etsy shop but haven't paid too much attention to it because we've been busy but I just lost a girl and now I need to pay attention to my shop.
Breezy 09:06 AM 09-23-2012
I just started Pampered Chef!
dave4him 09:48 AM 09-23-2012
I tried Avon for a little while but didnt make any money off it. I have been working part time at Lowe's during the week, now just the weekends. Its hard because i miss spending time with my wife. We havent really had any time together as a whole family in a while
MaritimeMummy 10:07 AM 09-23-2012
For extra money, I am an Usborne rep. :-)

For just volunteer jobs, nothing that brings in an extra income, I am a car seat tech (I do car seat clinics through a friend's baby and maternity store), I'm a Certified Lactation Educator (I spend a few hours on Saturdays at my local hospital volunteering because their only IBC lactation consultant, the one they pay, is there business hours, Monday to Friday, and they have no one over the weekend. I had my first child on a Saturday and with no lactation consultant until Monday, we were having a really rough go of it. Then I also volunteer my time for about a week, 4 times a year, proofreading stories for a natural birth advocacy magazine.

Between my volunteer work, my Usborne sales job, and my home day care...my house is being totally neglected. I'm taking a break with a coffee right now and then going straight back at purging and cleaning, LOL.
Sunchimes 02:04 PM 09-23-2012
MaritimeMummy, how do you become a car seat tech? We really, really need one here. The fire department used to do it, but the guy didn't renew his certification and he won't even look at a car seat without it. I begged him to just double check, not for insurance or anything, just my peace of mind, but he wouldn't do it.

The nearest one is 35 miles away and only available a few days weekdays by appointment.
dave4him 03:07 PM 09-23-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
MaritimeMummy, how do you become a car seat tech? We really, really need one here. The fire department used to do it, but the guy didn't renew his certification and he won't even look at a car seat without it. I begged him to just double check, not for insurance or anything, just my peace of mind, but he wouldn't do it.

The nearest one is 35 miles away and only available a few days weekdays by appointment.
I cant believe he wouldnt look at it, i wouldnt want to be responsible for not having had the chance to save a life. YOu just never know
Unregistered 03:18 PM 09-23-2012

Check with your nearest hospital, they may have someone who does car seat checks, but only by appointment.
MaritimeMummy 03:06 AM 09-24-2012

I emailed a specific department in my provinces' children's hospital. I was extremely disappointed when my sister in law gave birth because she actually gave birth in this children's hospital, which also offers prenatal, postpartum, and women's health care. It's supposed to be the top place in the Maritime provinces to give birth. Well, she gave birth there, and there was NO ONE on staff to install her car seat. NO ONE. It really made me mad that my local rinky-dink hospital can supply a paid car seat tech 5 days a week during working hours, but the top maternity and delivery hospital in the same province that trains car seat techs can NOT staff one. Ridiculous. I've been seriously considering making the hour-long drive to that hospital to volunteer an evening a week if I wasn't already so damn busy. No new parent should leave a hospital not knowing how the car seat is supposed to go in. That's awful.
Sunchimes 05:53 AM 09-24-2012
I agree. When I first started dc, I asked one of my moms who helped her install her seat. She said the hospital info packets said they would do it before she would be allowed to take the baby home, but no one did. I called and they didn't know what I was talking about.

My insurance company doesn't even have any suggestions.
Crazy8 06:40 AM 09-24-2012
I worked a part time evening job (6-10pm) a few nights a week for the first 4 years I was running my daycare. I did it more to be around adults and keep up on my job skills (was an HR position) than for the money. Eventually as my own children got older and had more evening activities I couldn't find the free nights to work so I quit - sometimes I'm sorry I left but my nights are filled with sports practices, etc. now and I doubt I will EVER go back to working HR full time again.
countrymom 10:45 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I worked a part time evening job (6-10pm) a few nights a week for the first 4 years I was running my daycare. I did it more to be around adults and keep up on my job skills (was an HR position) than for the money. Eventually as my own children got older and had more evening activities I couldn't find the free nights to work so I quit - sometimes I'm sorry I left but my nights are filled with sports practices, etc. now and I doubt I will EVER go back to working HR full time again.
don't you feel like sometimes you live in your van. I know have paper cups and silverware so I can eat too lol!.
daycarediva 01:25 PM 09-24-2012
I make and sell custom wooden furniture. I also make and sell laundry soap, handsoap and dish soap. I don't have a shop, it's strictly word of mouth now. I am actually making an entry bench for my daycare parents (after I go measure and talk shop) I wish I had more time to devote to it, but I don't!
MN Mom 01:29 PM 09-24-2012
I do too! My husband and I do it by choice though. We go to local flea markets, garage sales and auctions and have aquired some pretty cool little pieces of history to sell. We sell on Ebay.com and Etsy.com and have our own website linking to both etsy and ebay. It is daunting, and tedious...but I LOVE old things :-)
Country Kids 02:02 PM 09-24-2012
How does everyone have time for this? I'm have literally started doing childcare almost non-stop. After hours its cleaning, paperwork, setting up for the next day, etc.

I still have loads of family things to do on top of this and I've never been a good balancer of work and family.
daycare 02:03 PM 09-24-2012
I am a certified personal trainer and am in the process of getting my CPAT certificate so that I can train fire fighters to pass their physical agility test. I do this 4 days a week. early mornings on the week days, saturday morning and afternoon and all day on sunday. I do have 3 other people I work with, so I do not have to work every weekend. BUt I do normally work all morning hours as of late to help pay off my husbands medical school.

I also teach at a soccer coaching clinic, but that is only 3 months out of the year.
grandmom 02:45 PM 09-24-2012
I was going to email you privately, but I'm so enjoying these other stories.

I care for children. Different than my child care children mostly, but always in their home. One family has me come almost every weekend for at least one day. I clean and cook for them also on occasion.

I teach CPR/First Aid.

I clean houses and am a gardener.
paperairplane 06:57 PM 09-24-2012
I like these stories also. I still work part-time as a paralegal, my health/dental/optical benefits are fantastic. I only do daycare three days a week.
MyAngels 09:11 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
I do too! My husband and I do it by choice though. We go to local flea markets, garage sales and auctions and have aquired some pretty cool little pieces of history to sell. We sell on Ebay.com and Etsy.com and have our own website linking to both etsy and ebay. It is daunting, and tedious...but I LOVE old things :-)
Do you have a link to your website? I'd love to take a look .
pollyo 04:43 PM 09-25-2012
I work as a personal caregiver to an elderly woman in her home 2 nights a week. The shift is 7pm-7am and I can sleep there. Bonus is that my husband cleans the house and puts the kids to bed 2 nights/week and the pay is not bad either.
clep 05:13 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
How does everyone have time for this? I'm have literally started doing childcare almost non-stop. After hours its cleaning, paperwork, setting up for the next day, etc.

I still have loads of family things to do on top of this and I've never been a good balancer of work and family.
I do two hours of work before I start my day home. In the first hour it is free play so I prep crafts for the next day. I do another hour and a half of work at rest time while making the food for the next day. That is when I make my calls and return them. I have a headset for hands free. The last hour of the day is cleaning the day home, getting the children involved so they are in eye sight and busy. They move the toys for me to vacuum and put them back and do other things. My day is then complete, food cooked and I spend one or two hours at night doing other work for my business. Sometimes I do all of my night work on the weekend in a five hour block. That is how I work my time. Mind you my other business is completely online and phone based so I don't have to even go outside or meet people.
Tags:extra money, outside jobs, second job
Reply Up