Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Free Art versus Processed Art
Country Kids 08:21 AM 02-27-2014
I understand the free art versus processed art but on a daily basis? Was wondering how many of you allow free art on a daily basis and what are some things you do?

How do you afford it? I've gone through tons of glue sticks and down to my last few and wondering what kind to buy so they last longer. I but the elmers kind but they kids just plow through them.

Also, it costs for things like stickers-which is another thing my kids will plow through.

Coloring pages were discouraged by my kiddos enjoy them and I think there are lots of benefits to coloring pages. Learing colors, making it their own, small motor skills.

What happens when parents don't want to take these projects home on a daily basis. We have done free art and the parents are fine with possibly a project a week but not every day.

The projects that come with the curriculum we do I guess would be processed art but I have the kids make it their own, so even though its suppose to be "something" I have the kids do it how ever they want.

Just looking for suggestions of what are somethings you do and how you handle the costs!

Thanks ladies-
SilverSabre25 08:28 AM 02-27-2014
I source cheap stuff. Target $1 spot for seasonal stickers and when they're gone, they're gone. Also lots of other awesome art supplies.

Glue sticks from Costco, and one of these days I'll make a glue sponge (I have a gallon of white glue from Lakeshore or discount school supply.

Care with things like crayons and markers and stocking up at school supply time in the fall.

Display artwork at your house and send it home all at once every week or month or something. Don't send it home every day. take pictures, have the kids pick their "best" to take home, that sort of thing.

Lots of "non-permanent" art--like playdough, sidewalk chalk, drawing on our dry erase board (mounted on the wall).

For seasonal stuff I put out an array of stuff in a box--like for Valentines. So it was process because I gave them no instructions beyond, "Here! I thought we could make some Valentines!" and sorta themey product because of the limited stuff.
Annalee 08:40 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I source cheap stuff. Target $1 spot for seasonal stickers and when they're gone, they're gone. Also lots of other awesome art supplies.

Glue sticks from Costco, and one of these days I'll make a glue sponge (I have a gallon of white glue from Lakeshore or discount school supply.

Care with things like crayons and markers and stocking up at school supply time in the fall.

Display artwork at your house and send it home all at once every week or month or something. Don't send it home every day. take pictures, have the kids pick their "best" to take home, that sort of thing.

Lots of "non-permanent" art--like playdough, sidewalk chalk, drawing on our dry erase board (mounted on the wall).

For seasonal stuff I put out an array of stuff in a box--like for Valentines. So it was process because I gave them no instructions beyond, "Here! I thought we could make some Valentines!" and sorta themey product because of the limited stuff.
I use glue sponges (from Pinterest). Saves on glue plus licensing/QRIS can quit hitting providers up on the glue lids being choke hazards. We cut out pics from magazines, construction paper, crepe paper and place in a bin, then the kids can make free expression art anytime they want. Cupcake liners, wiki stix, are good, too. QRIS says we have to have two materials from each of the 4 types (drawing materials, paints, three-dimensional, tools). 85% of children's work has to be free expression so our art center has to be accessible daily.
Kcole1075 08:50 AM 02-27-2014
I use the dollar store a lot. For stickers, pom-poms, sometimes paper, popsicle sticks, tissue paper, pipe cleaners, paper plates.

I stock up on glue sticks and glue, markers, and crayons during back to scool season. My mom is a teacher and so we go together to fill up our classroms and get more out of those sales that have those silly limits ( we usually take dch and my sister too).

My kids love free art. When I have a prepared craft no one is intrested.
blandino 08:54 AM 02-27-2014
I think I do a mixture.

I will give them the materials to paint, say a green shamrock. I will give them a ton of materials, and I would say thats process art. But the paper is cut into a shamrock, which I think is a "teacher oriented" art project.

We made gold medals last week, when learning about the olympics. I gave the kids 3/4 different materials to make the round pieces of foam board gold, and let them go to town. Then I punched a hole and put ribbon through it.

Maybe once a week, they just get a blank piece of paper, and whatever process art materials i choose, and get to go nuts on it and do whatever they want.

The rest of the time, I would call my art projects "contrived process art". A balance between the two.
NeedaVaca 09:00 AM 02-27-2014
I stock up for the year at at back to school time+ with coupons I get tons of stuff for free. Staples and other office supply stores I can get reams of paper and other supplies for free almost monthly. After every holiday I wait for 75-90% off and stock up on stickers, poms, Easter decorating kits, Valentines, Halloween, Christmas stuff etc
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 02-27-2014
My art supplies are out and available at all times. I do not do any type of process art or cookie cutter crafts other than maybe one or two times a year.

I keep costs down by buying in bulk, buying on clearance and keeping a list posted of items we are always in need of.

I don't buy stickers and glue sticks. The kids make their own using magazines and other scrap paper.

The kids are free to use any of the supplies they wish to use.
Kcole1075 09:06 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
After every holiday I wait for 75-90% off and stock up on stickers, poms, Easter decorating kits, Valentines, Halloween, Christmas stuff etc
I do this too. That way next year I have a nice stock of stuff for that holiday.
SilverSabre25 09:14 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My art supplies are out and available at all times. I do not do any type of process art or cookie cutter crafts other than maybe one or two times a year.
Mine love cookie cutters---for painting! And playdough.
Blackcat31 09:20 AM 02-27-2014

Hmmm, that is a good idea! I have tons so maybe I will toss a couple in the art supply bin!
Cat Herder 09:25 AM 02-27-2014
I get bulk art supplies (and first aid supplies) at the $1 store (who are now online, ship to store!!!! www.dollartree.com ), oriental trading company, Betty mills, Joann's, and the various 'marts.

I do heirloom, seasonal, cookie cutter, product craft and free style art with the kids. I admit, crafting with the kids feels like "playing" and decorating the room with it keeps me inspired throughout the year. The kids don't seem to hate it.. (the "developmentally appropriate" stuff that comes in our boxed curriculum is another story )

I do not leave supplies out all the time, my playroom is not set up for it. Managing that would make the stress level too high for me, so I don't offer it.

Some projects are gifts for family, some are for the kids themselves, some are simply for parental bragging rights that their provider actually does something WITH the kids.

The popular Art Education trends change all the time, I do what works for my program long term. Give the clients what they want plus keep me inspired and engaged.

Next up: Tissue Paper Tulips and Daffodils. Mrs. Cat Herder needs some Spring in this room!!!
CraftyMom 09:43 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I get bulk art supplies at the $1 store (who are now online!!!! www.dollartree.com ), oriental trading company, Betty mills, Joann's, and the various 'marts.

I do heirloom, seasonal, cookie cutter, product craft and free style art with the kids. I admit, crafting with the kids feels like "playing" and decorating the room with it keeps me inspired throughout the year. The kids don't seem to hate it.. (the "developmentally appropriate" stuff that comes in our boxed curriculum is another story )

I do not leave supplies out all the time, my playroom is not set up for it. Managing that would make the stress level too high for me, so I don't offer it.

Some projects are gifts for family, some are for the kids themselves, some are simply for parental bragging rights that their provider actually does something WITH the kids.

The popular Art Education trends change all the time, I do what works for my program long term. Give the clients what they want plus keep me inspired and engaged.

Next up: Tissue Paper Tulips and Daffodils. Mrs. Cat Herder needs some Spring in this room!!!
I'm almost identical to this. The kids have plenty of free art but also planned projects. They love both! The parents love the planned projects. We do a lot of mixed, such as a big card stock heart and do what ever you want, paint, stickers, glitter, etc. I do not make it available at all times. My playroom is also not set up for this and my kids are all 2 or under. We love all art and do it every day. Whether its play doh, paint, coloring or chalk
CraftyMom 09:44 AM 02-27-2014
Also, we don't have any rules about art here
daycarediva 10:04 AM 02-27-2014
...and stencils here!

I buy cookie cutters ($1 bag at dollar tree) that are seasonal and place them in the playdoh, paint and marker bins. Never fails to get them into a project.

I put a few sheets of paper in their folders in the morning, and when they use it up, it's gone. It also goes back in the folder and they bring it home at the end of the week.

No idea about glue sticks. I buy them in bulk, and I honestly buy cheap. Sometimes 3/4 for $1 at the dollar store. ALWAYS buy crazy amounts at back to school time.

Mine use stickers for baby doll band aids ONLY at the moment. I buy them at the $1 store.

Lots of modeling clay, play doh, chalk, dry erase board, we made marbled paper for later use this week, that sort of thing. At least 1-2x a week I put out paint and paper without them asking for a free paint session.

I have been doing more sensory and less art lately, based on interests.
Laurel 10:57 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I understand the free art versus processed art but on a daily basis? Was wondering how many of you allow free art on a daily basis and what are some things you do?

How do you afford it? I've gone through tons of glue sticks and down to my last few and wondering what kind to buy so they last longer. I but the elmers kind but they kids just plow through them.

Also, it costs for things like stickers-which is another thing my kids will plow through.

Coloring pages were discouraged by my kiddos enjoy them and I think there are lots of benefits to coloring pages. Learing colors, making it their own, small motor skills.

What happens when parents don't want to take these projects home on a daily basis. We have done free art and the parents are fine with possibly a project a week but not every day.

The projects that come with the curriculum we do I guess would be processed art but I have the kids make it their own, so even though its suppose to be "something" I have the kids do it how ever they want.

Just looking for suggestions of what are somethings you do and how you handle the costs!

Thanks ladies-
We don't do art every day. We do it when either I or the children show an interest or ask. Usually about 2 times a week on average. Sometimes we'll just be on a roll and do it for several days in a row and then not for a bit again...depends.

I don't use glue sticks. I put some cheap glue (dollar tree for 4 bottles) on a paper plate and give them a paint brush to apply it with.

I use coloring books and tear a page out for each. I don't apologize for using them as I loved them as a child. Cheaper than printing out coloring pages except for special things.

I limit what I put out for each session. They can do stickers but not whole package is out. Same with other supplies like construction paper.

We do all open ended art except for the coloring book pages and an occasional project for the holidays to take home.

Hope this isn't a double post as I was on my tablet and it didn't look like my post went through.

Laurel
Laurel 11:01 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
I think I do a mixture.

I will give them the materials to paint, say a green shamrock. I will give them a ton of materials, and I would say thats process art. But the paper is cut into a shamrock, which I think is a "teacher oriented" art project.

We made gold medals last week, when learning about the olympics. I gave the kids 3/4 different materials to make the round pieces of foam board gold, and let them go to town. Then I punched a hole and put ribbon through it.

Maybe once a week, they just get a blank piece of paper, and whatever process art materials i choose, and get to go nuts on it and do whatever they want.

The rest of the time, I would call my art projects "contrived process art". A balance between the two.
I also do some contrived art (like that name ). When I worked in a Montessori preschool they would cut out things like shamrocks, hearts, etc. on large sheets of paper and put them at the easel to paint for holidays. I like that idea because once in a while it is nice to have it look like 'something'.

Laurel
melilley 11:01 AM 02-27-2014
We mostly paint and color (blank paper). My kids love, love to paint.

I also do some projects where I cut out the shapes, but the kids put them wherever they want to. For instance I will cut out a lion head along with eyes and whiskers and the children can glue them on wherever they want. To me, it looks super cute! I guess it would be your "contrived" art...lol

I do some cookie cutter art, but only for special occasions.

When we have garage sale "season" here, I look for art related materials and sometimes on cl, people want to get rid of supplies.
itlw8 11:17 AM 02-27-2014
I think this group eats glue sticks. I try but they do not work. I put some glue on something or in a dish and they use q tips or popsicle stick to put glue on the paper. They love stickers so they only get them sometimes. BUT the colored circles for garage sales are loved also. some times they color on labels and make their own sticker. This week I have had the easel out as a choice and it is working well. Boy we have used a lot of paint But that is better than paint going bad in the art closet because it was not used.
lovemykidstoo 11:34 AM 02-27-2014
I stock up for the year at at back to school time+ with coupons I get tons of stuff for free. Staples and other office supply stores I can get reams of paper and other supplies for free almost monthly. After every holiday I wait for 75-90% off and stock up on stickers, poms, Easter decorating kits, Valentines, Halloween, Christmas stuff etc
Can I get your secret on how you get things free?
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
She is a coupon guru! Seriously....this gal can shop and shop cheap too!

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52976
NeedaVaca 12:46 PM 02-27-2014
I follow couponing websites They do most of the work for me!
NeedaVaca 12:48 PM 02-27-2014

awww, thanks! For me, couponing is as addicting as this website!! When people come to my house they always want to see my stockpile lol-and the neighbors know who to ask when they need something ha ha
Kcole1075 12:50 PM 02-27-2014
I follow couponing websites They do most of the work for me!
I do the same I just goggles southern california match ups and boom a blog with all the stores in my area their sales and what coupons to use.
Leanna 03:10 PM 02-27-2014
Free art and process art mean the same thing - that the child chooses the medium and what/how to express themselves. Process as in the process is the focus not the product.

Projects where the adult decides what the child will make is called product orientated art. Product as in the focus is on the end product not on the process of making it. Crafts and any kind of cutout activity are product orientated art. Cutting out a heart, shamrock, etc. and having the child decorate it is product orientated even if the child decides what they will decorate it with. Cutting a painting a child painted into shape is taking a process orientated art activity and turning it into a product orientated one.

Just wanted to clarify what those terms meant.
Crazy8 03:38 PM 02-27-2014
just curious how old all your kiddos are for these "free art" projects??? Mine are ages 0-3 (oldest will actually be 3 next month) and I couldn't imagine having art supplies accessible all day every day - could just see the mess of the 18 month old getting into it all!!
Unregistered 07:56 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Free art and process art mean the same thing - that the child chooses the medium and what/how to express themselves. Process as in the process is the focus not the product.

Projects where the adult decides what the child will make is called product orientated art. Product as in the focus is on the end product not on the process of making it. Crafts and any kind of cutout activity are product orientated art. Cutting out a heart, shamrock, etc. and having the child decorate it is product orientated even if the child decides what they will decorate it with. Cutting a painting a child painted into shape is taking a process orientated art activity and turning it into a product orientated one.

Just wanted to clarify what those terms meant.
Just wanted to say say thank you for clarifying, and ask if you had suggestions for the former type of art. My kids get overwhelmed w too many options. So far in a months peuod we will do some structured (sorry product oriented) art free painting free coloring, stamps, and maybe sculpting w bakes le clay... Thoughts?
blandino 09:41 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
just curious how old all your kiddos are for these "free art" projects??? Mine are ages 0-3 (oldest will actually be 3 next month) and I couldn't imagine having art supplies accessible all day every day - could just see the mess of the 18 month old getting into it all!!
Mine are 0-3, and we do process art. But I don't leave my supplies out all day.

We have a time each day for art. When we do process art, I will typically put an array of mediums out and let the kids go to town at the table.

For instnance, I will lay out glue/glue sticks, salt, water colors and tissue paper. And they just go...
childcaremom 04:25 AM 02-28-2014
Mine are 0-3, and we do process art. But I don't leave my supplies out all day.

We have a time each day for art. When we do process art, I will typically put an array of mediums out and let the kids go to town at the table.

For instnance, I will lay out glue/glue sticks, salt, water colors and tissue paper. And they just go...
This is exactly how I do it, too, with the same age group. I will switch up the supplies but generally just let them play with it and see what they come up with. I display everything in our room and send it home at the end of the month.

I buy in bulk and at back to school times when all the deals are on, as well. My group isn't really into glue yet so we have the same sticks and bottles since September. They love stickers, though, and the dollar store is great for those. I've gotten construction paper at Costco. Paint is my big expense, and everyone's favourite, but the kids love it so I don't mind. We are also big playdough fanatics but I make it myself.
CraftyMom 05:52 AM 02-28-2014
Mine are all 2 and under, I don't leave supplies out all day. I would have a playroom covered in glue and collage pieces!

I like to switch out my supplies often and I don't offer them all at the same time, to keep interest, just like with toys. They get excited when I bring in a "new" supply. I found that when everything is available they lose interest quicker. Just my experience or it may be my young age group

I'm big on the $ store and I hit up after season sales also!
Leanna 06:38 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Just wanted to say say thank you for clarifying, and ask if you had suggestions for the former type of art. My kids get overwhelmed w too many options. So far in a months peuod we will do some structured (sorry product oriented) art free painting free coloring, stamps, and maybe sculpting w bakes le clay... Thoughts?

Process orientated art ideas don't have to be elaborate. Think about many ways to change up the experience for the kids.

Offer many different types of drawing/coloring media: crayons, large crayons, markers, scented markers, colored pencils, oil pastels, pens, chalk, etc.

Offer many types of surfaces to draw or paint on: newsprint, butcher block paper, tissue paper, cardboard, foil, wax paper, sidewalk, chalkboard, whiteboard, etc.

Offer different items to paint with: brushes of different sizes, rubber band brushes, leaves and pine tree pieces, those poofs you wash dishes with, sponges, string, hands, etc.

Put out a tray of found items (non-choking hazards if you have little ones), glue and brushes for collage making: milk bottle caps, large buttons, paper scraps, etc. For even younger ones use clear contact paper and let them stick things to it.

"Free" art for a child under two does not have to be elaborate. You don't have to lay out every possible choice if your kids aren't old enough or haven't worked up to that yet. Lay out a couple of trays with large crayons and blank paper. Lay out a tray with a paper, a small container of glue and a brush, and some different textures of paper for gluing. Set up the easel with 2 colors of paint. Put out play dough, some rollers, plastic cutters, etc.
countrymom 06:42 AM 02-28-2014
I have a 3 drawer bin that the kids can go in any time they want. I also have a crayon coral that is out every day.

we don't use glue sticks because they were using it as chapstick and lipstick lol! I do have special scissors but then they all got excited and wanted to cut up so much paper.

I shop in the states as in ontario does not have your back to school specials like you go guys do.

so I buy alot in aug.

also, I shop end of season season clearance. Last week I was buying valentine cards in boxes for 14 cents a box and stickers too, I bought lots of them. And the kids love them

also, you know all the fancy cards people send you, well I rip off the cover part (the part that isn't written on) and put them in the bin, the kids LOVE them, and its free. Ask parents to save you the card fronts too.

I start the kids off really young, they learn pretty quick what they can do with crayons and that they can only color on paper.

also, with coloring books, I started ripping the pages out, because i found that kids would scribble in a book, but by having a sheet they seem to use it better.

I would love to have paint out, not sure where I would put it and how would I keep the kids from painting everything.
lovemykidstoo 08:06 AM 02-28-2014

I can't access this link for some reason. It says I'm not authorized.
NeedaVaca 09:07 AM 02-28-2014
I can't access this link for some reason. It says I'm not authorized.
I just bumped it up for you in the OT section
lovemykidstoo 09:30 AM 02-28-2014
I just bumped it up for you in the OT section
Thanks so much!!
EntropyControlSpecialist 04:59 PM 02-28-2014
I think I do a mixture.

This is where we are at most of the time, too. The parents just love things that look like something.
Unregistered 05:29 PM 02-28-2014
I think I do a mixture.

This is what I do too. Kids decorate or paint a shape any way they want. I do more "process" type crafty art about once every couple months.

I also buy $1.00 stickers from Michael's.

I use large paper plates a lot. Bingo daubers on p. plates, water color on paper plates, sticker dots on paper plates, etc.

We paint a lot with kool-aid. Sprinkle unsweetened kook-aid on paper ( I use Wal-mart card stock-large pack for about $5.00) I sprinkle various colors on the paper and the kids paint with water. They will do this forever! I aways look at it as science too. The color changes and it smells so good!

Also, I put a coffee filter on a paper plate. Kids color all over the filter with markers. I like how crayola turns out best. The kids then paint over their marker design, and the colors run together.

I do this kind of stuff all the time.
countrymom 05:15 AM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is what I do too. Kids decorate or paint a shape any way they want. I do more "process" type crafty art about once every couple months.

I also buy $1.00 stickers from Michael's.

I use large paper plates a lot. Bingo daubers on p. plates, water color on paper plates, sticker dots on paper plates, etc.

We paint a lot with kool-aid. Sprinkle unsweetened kook-aid on paper ( I use Wal-mart card stock-large pack for about $5.00) I sprinkle various colors on the paper and the kids paint with water. They will do this forever! I aways look at it as science too. The color changes and it smells so good!

Also, I put a coffee filter on a paper plate. Kids color all over the filter with markers. I like how crayola turns out best. The kids then paint over their marker design, and the colors run together.

I do this kind of stuff all the time.
I like the idea with koolaide but doesn't it stain.
CraftyMom 06:44 AM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I like the idea with koolaide but doesn't it stain.
That's what I'm thinking too, I'd love to try it though!
spinnymarie 11:41 AM 03-01-2014
We do a group craft every week, mainly for me to make sure the kids who don't do it on their own are getting some cutting in.
Otherwise we have an art center that is always available. There is glue, not sticks just bottles but I'm going to look into that glue sponge!, scissors, adapted scissors for the littles, all kinds of paper and envelopes. I got a lot of free envelopes from different places and the kids love those, plus i have some stickers, crayons, colored pencils, and some random items like pompoms and sequins that I some times restock I have 18m - 5 yrs right now, so it works just fine. Every once in a while I have to clean crayon off of the wall

Two of my best tips: I have DH bring home the paper from his work recycling bin for us to draw on the back, and stores that sell cards will give you extra envelopes for free if you get there at the right time.
Tags:art activites, art supplies, arts and crafts - supplies
Reply Up