Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should I Do? :/
DaycareLife 03:22 PM 04-21-2014
SORRY ahead of time I am typing this from my cellphone and it will probably have a bunch of typos.

I work in a center currently. I have been there for almost 3 years. When I first started we had a different teacher with the 2/3 year olds she quit a year ago to do something else and the teacher with them now is always complaining and taking time off for apps. (19 times since january that have been marked down). Her doctors notes look fake too!

I want her position for a few reasons:

More hours
More pay
The kids like me more
The parents like me more too

I can tell you that when the kids are with this other teacher they are misarable. She has taken so many toys out the room too so they have barely any toys. She gets fustrated at everything they do.

She always tells the kids they are bad.
The parents roll their eyes at her when she talks. (After being told thier kid has been bad day after day who wouldnt)
We used to have 4 other kids that all have left since this new teacher started. They stuck around for a bit but they left.
2 of the parents have asked multiple times when will their children be bumped to my class. (I currently have school age. I did in the begining have a small prek class of 4/5 year olds who are all in school now and that gap never got filled so now im only part time)
Such as picking thier nose. Yes it is gross and eww but everyone does it. She has put kids in time out because they would pick thier nose she would tell them stop they would but a little while later they do it again.

Her negative additude has really rubbed off on them. Most of the kids try to come to my room all the time anyway.

The one little girl walked in saw this teacher then tried to run back out the door. So I was like

"Come her ____" and held me arms out for a hug the little girl ran to me and stayed next to me most the time i was in the room.

The baby teacher and other people of the director have all said she should just give me the other teachers job/class.

I am feeling backed into a corner because
I am not making a good enough profit from the part time hours i work
I have worked there longer yet have never taken as many days as this other teacher
I have a jod offer that is closer to where i live and is full time
I really like the daycare i work at now and the kids
The director where i work is also my aunt :/

I dont know how i should go about resigning or what i should even say.

I want to stay but i cant unless i make more money which would require having a full time spot.
I feel this is the best choice considering the other teacher will have all morning for apps and i wouldnt need to constantly cover her hours so she can come in late or leave early.

However i can stay if i dont start making more. I already spend a good amount in gas since the daycare is a good bit away.

What should i do...
If i dont get the position i want should i leave to the other daycare?
Should i give the director time to think about switching the other teacher and my hours?
How should i word my resignition letter...?
Should i just leave to the other daycare?
NightOwl 03:51 PM 04-21-2014
Hmmmmm... First things first. Who is managing the employees? Who is allowing her to treat the children this way? That's crazy to me. Especially if some have been withdrawn specifically because of this teacher's behaviors.
Secondly, it sounds like you deserve this position. It sounds like you genuinely love children and would be an asset to any center. I would have a meeting with the director, owner, manager, whoever handles staffing and schedules. Tell them what you said above, but stay away from throwing the other teacher under the bus. They want to hear about why you deserve it and what you would do differently, not a laundry list of what she's doing wrong. I bet, if they're smart, you will get that position.
If you don't, I would turn in my 2 week notice and accept the other job. Go where you are appreciated, where you will make decent money, etc. It doesn't matter that your aunt works there. You have to look out for YOU.
NightOwl 04:00 PM 04-21-2014
Oh and don't just quit. There's no need to burn bridges. Give them a proper notice and work it all the way out. The other center will be fine to wait. I always appreciated that in a new employee because it showed me they were respectful enough of their employer to work out a notice and I knew they would likely show me the same courtesy when they left my center.
Resignation letter:
I am submitting my two weeks' notice effective today. My last day will be _______.
Thank you so much for the opportunities I have been given here at ______ center.

Sincerely,

Short and sweet. She will then ask you why you're leaving and you can tell her that you really didn't want to, but you want to move to a position with more hours/better pay and it is hard for you to watch ______ have those things when she does not deserve them. Tell her you care deeply for the children and you can't just sit back and watch while ______ occupies the position you want and has no appreciation for it. There's a decent chance she will offer you that position in order to keep you.
mskaykay 04:31 PM 04-21-2014
Your director probably understands the problems with the other teacher. If she doesn't then that's a whole different reason for leaving. I am a center director and my advice to you is set up a meeting with your director. Tell her that you have been offered another position but because you enjoy your current position you would like to give them the opportunity to give you a full time position before you accept the new one. Explain that the only reason you are leaving is because you need full time hours. Do not bring up the other class at all. Your director may have already considered giving you that position but needs an excuse to actually make the change. If they are not willing to accommodate you then move on.
Unregistered 05:12 PM 04-21-2014
The Director/0wner who is my Aunt deals with staffing.

She knows of this teachers behaviors and has commented on it yet hasn't really given any consequences exept not paying the teacher for missed time. She was going to give her 90 day probation but never did.

She puts toys back in the room but they always end up back in the storage closet. She has said the kids cant be put in the high chairs for time out yet when she is not there the other teacher does it anyway.

The other Director who is also the baby room teacher agrees that i should be in the other teachers position but she has no authority to do anything about it.

It was never said that it was because of this teacher they were leaving. A reason wasnt given at all really. So It was wrong of me to make it seem like it was because of this teacher. I was only drawing conclusions based on the information i know and what i have seen from peoples body language(such as frowning or rolling eyes when they talk to her). There was only one boy that the mother however did say that she did not like the other teacher a few times to the baby room teacher and myself her son used to come 4 days then he started coming only 1 or 2 days then recently we were told he wouldnt be coming any longer.

I appologize for this and it was wrong of me.

Thank you for your advice. I think I will give the letter tomorrow.

Sorry this turned into a vent/rant in a way. I know that whatever happens I will be happy because it will be what is best for my family. My mother could use help with bills which was another reason behind my wanting to make more money.

How long do i wait to tell the parents? Do I tell the kids...or how do i tell them?

I believe it would be best to give a letter to the parents simply telling them that it was wonderful getting to know their children and that i will miss them all however there were new opportunities presented to me.
Or should i leave it to the director to inform everyone?
mskaykay 05:20 PM 04-21-2014
You should leave it to the director to inform everyone. You can ask if she would like you to stay one day and introduce the new teacher to the families. Whenever I left a job I would tell the kids the day before or the day of my last day depending on the age... school agers maybe a little earlier. You have to make it a positive experience for them... Introduce the new teacher and let the children see that you are excited for them (even if your aren't)
Unregistered 05:32 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by mskaykay:
Your director probably understands the problems with the other teacher. If she doesn't then that's a whole different reason for leaving. I am a center director and my advice to you is set up a meeting with your director. Tell her that you have been offered another position but because you enjoy your current position you would like to give them the opportunity to give you a full time position before you accept the new one. Explain that the only reason you are leaving is because you need full time hours. Do not bring up the other class at all. Your director may have already considered giving you that position but needs an excuse to actually make the change. If they are not willing to accommodate you then move on.
If I do this how long do I wait for the director to make that choice?

I had asked for more hours before and the director told me to ask this teacher if she would switch a few days with me. This would give her a chance to do all her doctor apps on those days. Like i would work all day mon and tue she would do all day wed,thur,fri. The other teacher said no and that was that.

Sorry for some reason it says unregistered. I did sign in though. But im using my cellphone. So idk what is going on with that
cheerfuldom 05:55 PM 04-21-2014
I would talk to the director first and let them know that you must have a full time job/hours in order to remain at the center. Is that something they can accommodate immediately? If not, THEN hand them the resignation letter letting them know that you will have to find another position which offers more hours. Simple as that. If the other teacher is not doing anything against regulations or center policies, I would just leave that situation alone, unless you are asked your opinion. No point adding drama to an already hard situation especially since your aunt is working there too!
mskaykay 06:00 PM 04-21-2014
I would say you need an answer right away so you can either decline or accept the other job. Say you need a response by the end of business the next day so you can let the other job know. And if she says no, give your two weeks notice, then and there. Are you in CA? I'll interview you lol
NightOwl 06:35 AM 04-22-2014
Updates?
Unregistered 09:14 AM 04-22-2014
so I have written up my resignation letter.

I have not had a chance to talk to the director. she has been busy moving and simply hasn't had the time.

I will talk to her this afternoon once all the children are gone.
Unregistered 09:15 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by mskaykay:
I would say you need an answer right away so you can either decline or accept the other job. Say you need a response by the end of business the next day so you can let the other job know. And if she says no, give your two weeks notice, then and there. Are you in CA? I'll interview you lol

Nope, I live in MD! Sorry! lol
Tags:center, daycare, helpless, kids attitude, new center, quitting
Reply Up