Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Question About Daycare Bill Please Help
sandrab77123 06:29 PM 03-19-2013
OK heres my question. in 2004 I had both my kids in daycare after school. When they were enrolled you had to pay every week and if you didnt they didnt get to go to school. I had no problems with this in fact I paid 2 weeks at a time when I got paid every two weeks. The issue im having is that all of a sudden last week I got a bill from them for almost 400 dollars. I always paid my bill so I dont understand why 9 years later im getting a bill. I called them today and the woman said that its because we didnt pay. I informed her we did always pay or else my kids couldnt have gone. The bill back in 2004 was only like 90 dollars a week for both cause it was only from 330-530 6 at the latest. the woman informed me that they are converting all there files to computer and notifying all parents with an outstanding balance. I again told her we always paid. She said payments were collected on the begining of the month and i told here that 9 years ago they did it weekly. All she could tell me was my last payment was nov 15th 2004. I believe that was my last payment cause we moved around that time. I even remember giving notice and talking to them after we moved because they found and mailed my daughters jacket to us. Never at anytime was an outstanding ballace mentioned. The issue im having is I live in a whole other state now and dont even have the same bank acct. I know I paid my bill with them if I hadnt then my kids wouldnt of been able to go. I have not heard from them in 9 years now all of a sudden I get a bill. I dont think its right that I should have to pay cause they dont keep good records. I would like some advice on how to handle this.
Michael 06:35 PM 03-19-2013
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status.
MissAnn 06:40 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by sandrab77123:
OK heres my question. in 2004 I had both my kids in daycare after school. When they were enrolled you had to pay every week and if you didnt they didnt get to go to school. I had no problems with this in fact I paid 2 weeks at a time when I got paid every two weeks. The issue im having is that all of a sudden last week I got a bill from them for almost 400 dollars. I always paid my bill so I dont understand why 9 years later im getting a bill. I called them today and the woman said that its because we didnt pay. I informed her we did always pay or else my kids couldnt have gone. The bill back in 2004 was only like 90 dollars a week for both cause it was only from 330-530 6 at the latest. the woman informed me that they are converting all there files to computer and notifying all parents with an outstanding balance. I again told her we always paid. She said payments were collected on the begining of the month and i told here that 9 years ago they did it weekly. All she could tell me was my last payment was nov 15th 2004. I believe that was my last payment cause we moved around that time. I even remember giving notice and talking to them after we moved because they found and mailed my daughters jacket to us. Never at anytime was an outstanding ballace mentioned. The issue im having is I live in a whole other state now and dont even have the same bank acct. I know I paid my bill with them if I hadnt then my kids wouldnt of been able to go. I have not heard from them in 9 years now all of a sudden I get a bill. I dont think its right that I should have to pay cause they dont keep good records. I would like some advice on how to handle this.
I would never bill someone 9 years later. Whether you actually owe or not, they made the mistake of not catching it sooner.
AfterSchoolMom 06:44 PM 03-19-2013
I'd talk to a lawyer, or try to find out if there's a statute of limitations for something like that. Either way, there's no way I'd be paying that, and as a provider, there's no way on earth that I'd send someone a bill 9 years later...that's ridiculous!
itlw8 06:44 PM 03-19-2013
You tell them that not only is it not your bill but even if it was after 7 years bad debts are written off credit reports. So even if they can figure out WHO owes them $900 they will not be able to collect it.
Heidi 06:57 PM 03-19-2013
ignore them completely. Double check on the statute of limitations for your state, but in most states it 7 years.

Tell them to leave you alone!
Willow 08:05 PM 03-19-2013
I'd put my money on this being a scammer. Someone got a hold of old enrollment records and is trying to to bilk you out of some money hoping you won't be smart enough to challenge their claim.

Tell them if they want to collect after all this time you'll gladly respond to a court summons once they file one and not to bother you again unless they do. Tell them if they attempt to harass you again you'll notify local law enforcement.
Angelsj 05:14 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I'd put my money on this being a scammer. Someone got a hold of old enrollment records and is trying to to bilk you out of some money hoping you won't be smart enough to challenge their claim.

Tell them if they want to collect after all this time you'll gladly respond to a court summons once they file one and not to bother you again unless they do. Tell them if they attempt to harass you again you'll notify local law enforcement.
Agreed. We had someone try this with an old medical bill 10 years after the fact. Luckily, I keep really good records and a lawyer on tap. The lawyer wrote a cease and desist letter and I never heard from them again.
crazydaycarelady 10:38 AM 03-28-2013
I agree - ignore it.
Tags:south carolina, south carolina member
Reply Up