Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non-Paying Parent Busted!
PitterPatter 10:42 AM 09-13-2011
OK as some of you know I have a client that put a guilt trip on me a couple weeks ago to avoid payment. She said the car tire was bald and she's afraid she will wreck with the kids in the car... laid it on thick so I would have to of course put the lives of children before my $15. I let it go AND without fees. I told her next time I will charge the $10 per day late fee. Well another 2 weeks come and gone. Now DCD calls Friday to say the kids are still ill and will be out. I tell him ok but today is payday and you have another payment due. That makes $25 due today. He says alright I will get it to you when I can. I figure that means I won't be paid and just bite my tongue. I have sent newsletters home on top of the contract on top of reminder notes so this guy has to know policy. Yet I know if he can't afford to pay $15 or the now $25 due then he can't afford $10 per day late. Really if I had charged him that he would owe $180 in fees by now plus the $25. I decided to let it go ONE LAST TIME and ask again for payment next Friday. OH AND as of yesterday the tire is STILL BALD they are still running with the kids in the car on a bald tire, DCM told me so!!! SO where did my money go?

Now today I am pi55ed off!!! I didn't have any kids today by a fluke so I took off for some lunch with my Mother. We got to a restaraunt and guess who walks in? DCD!!! I think ok you can't pay me the money you owe me but you can eat out? I let it go everyone has to eat, it's lunch time maybe he's grabbing a burger. We said hello and took our seats. Then I notice DCD is paying the whole bill for 2 large meals for he and his friend. We finish and go to Walmart. While shopping I turn a corner and guess who I run into with a buggy full of cookies and junk? DCD!!! He actually shows me a halloween decoration and laughs about it. I smile and walk away because I am about to say something!

What should I do? Obviosly he HAS the money to pay me just doesn't want to. I guess his wants come 1st! If I had told my child care provider I didn't have money to pay and then was caught out like that I would be totally ashamed and offer the money right there!! Nope it gets worse!!

Next stop thrift shop/ bread store for some bread. DCD IS THERE TOO!!!! I walk up and say "what are you doing following me?" I smile and look in his cart where he has 4 cases of SODA! He giggles and said it seems that way but no. My Mother makes a comment that the sale is good but she doesn't buy pop. I couldn't help but make the comment "Wow that is a deal but I can't afford POP".... DCD says see ya later.

I admit I can be petty when bills owed are small BUT it's MY EARNED money and I know the latte drinking, camel smoking parents are just being selfish. Today proved it and I wanted so bad to snatch those bills out of DCDs hand at the register and say thanks for the payment! I am going to make it painfully clear that there will be no more payments skipped and if the payment is not paid by closing time on Friday the $10 fee will be applied PER DAY!

What would you do in this situation where you have now caught the client blowing money on junk instead of paying you what you are owed?

I'm sorry this got long!
SandeeAR 10:47 AM 09-13-2011
I would have had the waitress deliver my bill to his table, as soon as I saw him. Let him wiggle out of it, and explain to his lunch partner, why!
snbauser 10:49 AM 09-13-2011
Time for "no pay, no stay". Plain and simple. If you don't MAKE them put you first, then they won't.
awestbrook713 10:50 AM 09-13-2011
Term for non payment. This makes me mad for you. I had dcm who picked up kids and said she forgot to stop at atm she would pay me that weekend, weekend goes by no call nothing, shows up monday and doesn't pay, I ask when will I be getting paid, oh when she brings the kids next time which is wednesday (dcm is my neighbor we live acrossed the street and for some reason couldn't walk acrossed that night and pay me) wednesday comes and I get less then half of the money. I have seen her out at the bar spending money, shes had the opportunity to send in papers to get assistance paying but is to lazy to do it so I ask her to step outside tell her I feel I am being taken advantage of and as much as I love watching her kids if I don't get payment and she doesn't pay me on friday pay days I will have to term, needless to say shes been on time since. Put the fear into him if that doesn't work say goodbye
laundrymom 10:53 AM 09-13-2011
I think I would say wow, look at all the extra goodies you found, I'm guessing you have the funds to pay your past due daycare balance, do you want to give me the $$ in cash right now? Or should I lend you a pen to write a check?
PitterPatter 11:00 AM 09-13-2011
Thanks for the support ladies. They have 2 spots so I have been giving in more with them. No more! I am telling DCM as soon as I see her point blank this can NOT happen again and telling her to make sure she tells DCD AGAIN too! They must assume I will let the $10 per day go all the time now because why else would they avoid paying $25 just to pay $205. I swear I feel like they think I am stupid! Either that or I'm rich and don't NEED the money. BTW this is my family with the entitlement syndrome so it shouldn't come as a surprise to me but it did! I just don't get it, wouldn't you be totally ashamed? Nope he was all grins and giggles.
daycare 11:00 AM 09-13-2011
whenever you see them next, I would say looks like you came into some money since you were out having a great time shopping. I am so happy you can afford to pay me now and avoid all of those late fees. I was starting to feel really bad that I was going to have to charge you guys all the extra fees. then just stand there with you hand out....
Kaddidle Care 11:01 AM 09-13-2011
Was he paying for these things with cash or credit card? Because if it's credit card, he's probably not paying them back either.

I like the No Pay/No Stay policy. Remind them that you are not blind as well.
Sugar Magnolia 11:03 AM 09-13-2011
Pitter, honey, I am just so sad to read this. I know I've commented to this before, but PLEASE term them. Please! You WILL get another client! Please stop letting this family ABUSE you like this! This is Awful!! Truly awful!!!!!
laundrymom 11:05 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Pitter, honey, I am just so sad to read this. I know I've commented to this before, but PLEASE term them. Please! You WILL get another client! Please stop letting this family ABUSE you like this! This is Awful!! Truly awful!!!!!
Standing ovation!!!!!!!!!
wdmmom 11:06 AM 09-13-2011
No pay, no stay. If payment is due Friday, charge them Saturday $10, Sunday $10 and when they drop off MOnday, they better have payment plus $20. If they don't turn them away at the door.

This family clearly needs to see you have a backbone and use it before they will stop with the nonsense! 4 cases of pop?! Are you kidding me?! A case of pop lasts my whole family a month plus!

Some parents need to quit mooching off the state and learn to sacrifice what they want in order to give to their kids.

When they have no one to watch their child/ren on Monday and don't go to work and don't make the money, they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

Time for you to lay it on and THICK!!!

Your house, your rules, your money, now pay up!!!
daycare 11:08 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
No pay, no stay. If payment is due Friday, charge them Saturday $10, Sunday $10 and when they drop off MOnday, they better have payment plus $20. If they don't turn them away at the door.

This family clearly needs to see you have a backbone and use it before they will stop with the nonsense! 4 cases of pop?! Are you kidding me?! A case of pop lasts my whole family a month plus!

Some parents need to quit mooching off the state and learn to sacrifice what they want in order to give to their kids.

When they have no one to watch their child/ren on Monday and don't go to work and don't make the money, they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

like like like! love love love!! lol
PitterPatter 11:14 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Was he paying for these things with cash or credit card? Because if it's credit card, he's probably not paying them back either.

Cash! He handed the cashier cash at the restaraunt to cover he and his friends meal then again at the thrift store. I made it a point to spy I don't know what he used at Walmart I didn't see him leave there.

Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I know I know. I really like the kids though! I swear they are the best 2 kids I have had here in a long time. They have thier issues and times where their listening ears seem to have fallen off but 90% they are great kids and work well with my schedule. I just got rid of a child that was totally out of hand and abusive so to get these 2 in here I just tend to want to hang on kwim? It's always the same either great parents and naughty kids or great kids and ignorant parents, then we have the duo of terrible parent and child. I know there are great parents & kid combos out there I just have to get 1. I am running my flyers again. I just got a new idea from MarianaVanessa so I will be making a new flyer and get it out PRONTO!

Thank you again ladies for the support. I was feeling petty again
PitterPatter 11:17 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

TY! As for the pop yes serious!! I don't even buy it by the case we buy a 2ltr once in a while or if we have a cookout maybe 1 case. Whats worse is when I see people fill a grocery cart with MANY cases and swipe the food stamp card to pay for it all! I think pop and junk food should not be allowed on the food card. But that's another story.
beachgrl 11:28 AM 09-13-2011
Definitely charge them the late fees and do no pay no stay, no one is going to let them by with non payment do you shouldn't either. Learn to say in your most sincere voice' so sorry u are going through that(whatever their pity party is to get u to feel bad for them so they don't have to pay) and hope u get it figured out, but, no pay...no stay
Meeko 11:28 AM 09-13-2011
This scenario happens over and over and over again in day care. It's maddening...but parents think we are the last ones who need to be paid.

A few years back, I had Mom One give me a sob story and so I let her slide a few days on her payment. Mom Two arrived one day and innocently let it slip that she had seen Mom One at the mall over the weekend. She said that Mom One showed her a $100 bottle of perfume she had just bought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She couldn't pay me, but she could buy a $100 bottle of perfume!

I vowed then and there to never buy the sob stories. I'm a business. Walmart doesn't give stuff away with the promise of payment later....I don't either. The credit card company doesn't care WHY the payment was late...just that it was late and therefore late fees apply. Same here.

Parents sometimes wonder why we have such rigid rules and policies. It's because if we don't, we get walked all over.
TBird 11:37 AM 09-13-2011
YUP...It's all sh**s and giggles when it's not THEIR money. But let their company not pay them for a hard day of honest labor.....UH BOY....there would be HELL to pay!!!

Sorry Sweetie but they have no respect for you or your business whatsoever. And the funny thing is that they probably act like their child is the most beautiful, special, important thing in their world. Well, apparently not if non-payment to that child's provider is the giggly highlight of their day.

NiNi.R. 11:55 AM 09-13-2011
Oh the nerve! that is horrible...I'd lay your foot down hard from now on. They would be absolutely stupid if they didn't understand why after you seen them do all that. Sorry that might sound horrible of me to say. But seriously, how can they just walk around and pay for stuff like that without feeling embarrassed.

On a side note you must be from an incredibly small town like I am
Christian Mother 12:25 PM 09-13-2011
It's hard when you love the kids so and you know the parents are playing hooky with your hard earn $$. I would draw up a letter and tell them effective immediately they are to pay what they owe plus late fees. You can tell them right there what the letter in tells or just hand it to them and let them know right away that kids will not be allowed back into care with out full payment CASH at drop off Monday morning. Or tell them directly at pick up that bc of running into dcd and witnessing that there really is no hardship you see that you do expect that they pay up what they owe plus late fees. There is no dout that they will most likely fight it. Get good and mad if you have to. That is how you gain your back bone and let them know your upset. By smiling back to dcd it's letting him know there isn't any fault or harm in what he was just caught doing. Or what it implied to you. Some parents are clueless unless they are made to know there is something wrong with that picture. You've got to take back your biz. Let us know what happens!! We all stand by you 100% girl...lay it on them...they need to know that just wasn't ok!!
Crystal 12:54 PM 09-13-2011
Oh hell no! I would have called him out on it right in front of anyone who was with him. I also would have told him not to return, other than to retrieve belongings.

This is a business. It needs to be treated as such, by the parent and by the provider. You can only be taken advantage of it if you allow it.
Happiness 02:44 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I would have had the waitress deliver my bill to his table, as soon as I saw him. Let him wiggle out of it, and explain to his lunch partner, why!
Now that would have been SOOO FUNNY...

Totally agree with everyone in here... it sounds like it is just TIME to stand up to them..... best to do it in writting though... that normally works a lot better...
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:57 PM 09-13-2011
That takes a lot of nerve! Sees you all over the place while wasting his money on junk food and stuff, but doesn't pay his daycare bill?
Since you've let them go without a late fee up to now, but you DO want to keep this family because of the children, I would NOT charge a late fee right now. Nor would I mention seeing him blowing his money on junk food (unless you want to lose the children). Let it go. BUT let them know by written note that their money is due by Friday ALONG WITH this week's money. If not paid on Friday, you will have to charge the late fee. If both weeks are not paid, with the late fee, by Monday morning at drop off, you will not be able to care for the children that day, or anymore, until the money is paid, plus each day's late fee. Usually parents just have to see that you do mean what you have written in the policy. That your policies apply to them as well as everyone else. Once they see you're serious, they will more than likely pay up without taking the children out. Then from then on, NO MORE SYMPATHY! They pay regardless. You go to a store and buy things, but walk out without paying because you can't afford what you bought? No, I don't think so! They bought services from you, but have walked out without paying twice now. To me that's plain and simple stealing.
Last year I had a mom that owed me $10. That was it. But she "couldn't afford it and would pay later". Her daughter told me they went out to eat with mom that night. And "Look at my new shirt! Do you like it? Mommy got it for me." But yet, my $10 didn't get to me until the next week, after nagging her all week, and each day she said she'd pay the next day. After she tried that again the next month, I Finally sent out a note saying late fees for the payments are $1 per day. The next time and from then on, when I asked for the payment, she gave it on time. She simply saw I was serious and that rules applied to her as well. I didn't have to actually charge her a late fee. I just had to tell her there would be one. And constant reminders every single day probably helped also. She could see I wasn't going to let her by without paying, and she probably ran out of reasons she "couldn't afford it"
Just remain professional... and stick to your own polices
PitterPatter 06:01 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
That takes a lot of nerve! Sees you all over the place while wasting his money on junk food and stuff, but doesn't pay his daycare bill?
Since you've let them go without a late fee up to now, but you DO want to keep this family because of the children, I would NOT charge a late fee right now. Nor would I mention seeing him blowing his money on junk food (unless you want to lose the children). Let it go. BUT let them know by written note that their money is due by Friday ALONG WITH this week's money. If not paid on Friday, you will have to charge the late fee. If both weeks are not paid, with the late fee, by Monday morning at drop off, you will not be able to care for the children that day, or anymore, until the money is paid, plus each day's late fee. Usually parents just have to see that you do mean what you have written in the policy. That your policies apply to them as well as everyone else. Once they see you're serious, they will more than likely pay up without taking the children out. Then from then on, NO MORE SYMPATHY! They pay regardless. You go to a store and buy things, but walk out without paying because you can't afford what you bought? No, I don't think so! They bought services from you, but have walked out without paying twice now. To me that's plain and simple stealing.
Last year I had a mom that owed me $10. That was it. But she "couldn't afford it and would pay later". Her daughter told me they went out to eat with mom that night. And "Look at my new shirt! Do you like it? Mommy got it for me." But yet, my $10 didn't get to me until the next week, after nagging her all week, and each day she said she'd pay the next day. After she tried that again the next month, I Finally sent out a note saying late fees for the payments are $1 per day. The next time and from then on, when I asked for the payment, she gave it on time. She simply saw I was serious and that rules applied to her as well. I didn't have to actually charge her a late fee. I just had to tell her there would be one. And constant reminders every single day probably helped also. She could see I wasn't going to let her by without paying, and she probably ran out of reasons she "couldn't afford it"
Just remain professional... and stick to your own polices
I have had it in my contract that the late payment fee is $10 per day. Should I make that lower? I don't want to make it so low that the clients think, so what I will pay it, but right now the fees are much more than the payment.

What I dont get is why DCD thinks he can do this. Unless he thinks I was paid somehow I dont know. As for DCM I told her right to her face last time that the fees would no longer be forgiven because it effects my personal obligations as well as family. With the little bit of cash I get from the parents I use to replenish the kids milk, bread, eggs etc. I am only paid by the state once per month so I depend on the payments to get by. She said she understood so apparantly it's that they just don't care.

After getting the support here I will be telling her when she brings the kids Friday morning that I need payment or they will not be able to attend. I am also having her sign a seperate piece of paper aknowledging the fees so when DCD claims he didn't know oh well DCM did sorry, not my problem that you guys dont talk. I get that a lot by the way that she doesnt tell him anything and he is in charge of finances. Not my problem. I wrote on the last reciepts that I forgave the $10 late fees and that they wont be forgiven anymore. Being the 1 in charge he should see that but he claims she doesnt give them to him. He said he never saw a single newsletter that I put such details in so this month I called him told him she had recieved it and to ask her for it or check the diaper bag where it all goes. I think he knows too just doesn't care. So as of Friday care will be denied. I am also going to see if I can charge them up front and whatever they dont use in those 2 weeks will be credited. I have to ask the state because in the past they denied us that right.

Thanks everyone, I will update!
Crystal 07:03 PM 09-13-2011
No! Don't make it lower, that will just tempt them to pay late even more!

It is in my contract that there is a $25 per day late fee.....in over 14 years in this business I have NEVER had a parent pay me late. They know I mean what I say and do not want to pay $25 per day.
Kaddidle Care 11:30 AM 09-14-2011
I had asked if he paid in cash or credit card:

Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Cash! He handed the cashier cash at the restaraunt to cover he and his friends meal then again at the thrift store. I made it a point to spy I don't know what he used at Walmart I didn't see him leave there.
Oh bugger! I'd be pretty hot too!

What I dont get is why DCD thinks he can do this. Unless he thinks I was paid somehow I dont know.
He doesn't/did not think. Without his kids in eyesight he's not thinking about you at all. Trala-lala-la!

You get him girl!
mismatchedsocks 02:01 PM 09-14-2011
Do not lower it! Mine is $25 a day like Crystals. I have had a parent try to be last once, told me Friday at pick up, can I just pay you Monday morning? I said sure, but add $50 on for late fees. Needless to say she whipped out her check book and paid on the spot.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:14 PM 09-14-2011
Oh, no. Don't lower the late fee. I didn't mean the $1/day was for their weekly daycare rate. It was for something else. She owed me for something rather than the owner. Our weekly payments are supposed to be due on Friday, paid in advance for the upcoming week. Our policy says the late fee is $10/day for daycare payments. Don't feel bad about that. Their full rate would probably be at least $100/week if they weren't on state assistance, so $10/day is just enough to make them NOT want to make that mistake again
dEHmom 07:09 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

true, BUT he could easily walk over to the atm in walmart and pull out some cash on the credit.
PitterPatter 01:07 PM 09-15-2011
Updating.... I probably won't ever see my money. DCM just called me and told me the kids won't be coming tomorrow now either because she is terminated from her job because she calls off too much. Her words to me were this "Work just called to tell me not to come in tomorrow I am terminated because I have had to call off too much on weekends when you can't watch the kids because I have no one else" She just took an extra unnecessary week off THAT is why she got fired!!

I told her there is not a provider on this earth that will keep daycare open 7 days a week for her kids. She said she understands and for me not to worry because she applied for a night time job and told her friend she better get her hired. (ok ask that friend to watch the kids on weekends. AND she BETTER get her hired? niiice ) I informed her that she may want to try to find another day shift somewhere else because I don't stay open all night. She says it would only be until 1am or so. Yeah and I open at 8am so when am I supposed to sleep and have some family time? She said she might just have to find another provider. I said ok you do that good luck to you. I reminded her I still need paid tomorrow. She said she will try to stop by.
MarinaVanessa 01:17 PM 09-15-2011
She said she might just have to find another provider. I said ok you do that good luck to you. I reminded her I still need paid tomorrow. She said she will try to stop by.
My response?

Um ... no. You have no job. That means you are free tomorrow. You need to pay me when I'm due no matter what. I get paid tomorrow period. If I am not paid when I'm due I AM adding the late payment fee. Let me know if you just don't plan on paying me at all so that we can save time and I can go straight to the collections office.

... or something like that. Late payers + try to skip payment = me mad. Grr
sharlan 01:21 PM 09-15-2011
I'd be notifying the state shortly that she has no job.
PitterPatter 01:49 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'd be notifying the state shortly that she has no job.
Already did

Not to be spiteful but simply because it effects me as well. I have to report any changes with state clients.

The office informed me she can still come to daycare if I want to allow it because she can have a 30 day job search. I guess the state will pay for daycare while she is searching. She said she can bring the kids 4 days per week for 5 hours per day for 30 days so that she can look for work. She said problem is she has to have the paperwork in and since these parents have a record of waiting til the last minute to get paperwork in I may want to think about that because they can't guarentee that I get paid unless she is issued a new certificate.
sharlan 01:51 PM 09-15-2011
Have you told them that this family doesn't pay their portion?
PitterPatter 01:57 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Have you told them that this family doesn't pay their portion?
Yes she said she will send them notice if I am not paid tomorrow.

I have had problems in the past with other state clients not paying. They never use to help. At least now they send a reminder letter. Fat lotta good it does though. I said they should be denied childcare assistance until previous providers are paid. She said they are not allowed to do that.
cheerfuldom 02:37 PM 09-15-2011
seriously i would just term.
sharlan 02:39 PM 09-15-2011
Yes she said she will send them notice if I am not paid tomorrow.

I have had problems in the past with other state clients not paying. They never use to help. At least now they send a reminder letter. Fat lotta good it does though. I said they should be denied childcare assistance until previous providers are paid. She said they are not allowed to do that.
I agree, they should be cut off.
Crystal 03:15 PM 09-15-2011
Why are you torturing yourself? It is not your responsibilty to take care of Mom.....if she cannot pay, cannot adjust to your hours, etc. then she needs to find another provider that better meets her needs.
PitterPatter 05:40 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Why are you torturing yourself? It is not your responsibilty to take care of Mom.....if she cannot pay, cannot adjust to your hours, etc. then she needs to find another provider that better meets her needs.
I'm not adjusting the hours. I told her to go ahead and find another provider and good luck to her because I don't know anyone who will work until 1:00am or 7 days per week so that she can work every weekend.
Tags:bad parent, lie, money owed, non-payment
Reply Up