Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Started a 10 Month Old Today Who...
melilley 11:04 AM 10-13-2014
is terrified of my dog!

When dcg interviewed, mom told me that she has never been around dogs, but that her dh would be happy if dcg was around a dog. I introduced my dog (who is a 85 lb lab) the day of the interview and dcg kind of laughed and cried when she saw him, but seemed ok.

Well today dcg has been screaming bloody murder every time my dog comes around her. He would just walk around her and she just screams bloody murder. I have been trying to separate them for the most part, but this is not always possible and I don't want to have to constantly do that! I hope I don't have to term over this. When I interview, I explain that my dog is around the kids during dc hours and haven't had any problems with any of the kids not liking him. Oddly enough my dog has been a selling point with a couple of my families, one of them chose to come here because I have a dog.

Any suggestions besides putting my dog away during hours?
AuntTami 06:54 PM 10-13-2014
Can you separate the dogs and the little one with a baby gate? At least until she gets used to him? A large dog like that can be scary for a little one who's never been around a dog, much less one that's taller than she is! DCG can still see and interact with the dog then, but the dog can't "get" to her.

That's how we do all interactions around here since our lab is an 8 month old puppy yet so he's very hyper but has the strength to knock kiddos down. One of my part time DCB's is afraid of dogs too, but he's come a LONG way since he first started. He used to SCREAM bloody murder if the dog was even in the same room. Now he'll wander up to the gate and let our dog smell and sniff him and he'll give the dog a quick pet and then he wanders away.

I don't encourage any interaction with them as I noticed right away that made it worse. I just let him do his thing. If he wants to say hi, he'll go say hi, and if he wants to be left alone, he can just walk away from the gate and the dog can't follow him.
NightOwl 07:30 PM 10-13-2014
I baby gate my dog so the kids can still interact with her, but she's not all up in their space. They would get a tongue bath every day if I allowed her to stay with us constantly. But she is an EXCELLENT vacuum cleaner.
cheerfuldom 07:39 PM 10-13-2014
i had a young toddler who screamed around my dog. i tried to accommodate for months and it never got better. finally i just put the kiddo in a high chair and let the dog in for extended periods during the day for several days and just let the child scream till he couldnt scream anymore. i went about my business, the other kids ignored it and now, there is no more crying around the dog. might sound harsh but i think this child gets a lot of attention for crying in "distress" and needed to see that no one else here was scared or even noticing the dog.
AuntTami 08:31 PM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I baby gate my dog so the kids can still interact with her, but she's not all up in their space. They would get a tongue bath every day if I allowed her to stay with us constantly. But she is an EXCELLENT vacuum cleaner.

Charlie is our resident "Hoover" because he's an excellent vacuum as well. After lunch/snacks, I let him into the dining room and he gets to snack on whatever is on the floor haha. Then I Swiffer mop after he's finished. My regular DCB is catching on that Charlie gets the "treats" on the floor so I'll catch him intentionally dropping food on the floor for Charlie And lord have mercy if Charlie is actually allowed by DCB when he's eating in the high chair. Two for the puppy, one for the baby!
Reply Up