Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! DCB Cries Most Of Day
MNmamaOf4 10:30 AM 02-17-2011
This is DCB's 2nd week at my house, he's almost 5 months old. After mom went back to work, Grandma started taking care of him, so I'm his first provider other than Grandma, grandma couldn't handle 5 days a week anymore, so I have him 4 days and she has him 1. Which is nice for me to have a day to run errands, etc w/ my kids when he's not here. He's my only DCK aside from my 4. My oldest is in kindergarten so she's only here 4-5 with him. My other kids are 4, 2 and 5 months. My 4 year old is very self-sufficient for 4, so other than preparing meals for him he pretty much plays and does his own thing all day long. DCB is use to being held all of the time, dad warned me of this the first day at drop-off. I can't get him to sleep more than 20 minutes unless I hold him or he's in the swing. I try and place him in the pack n play and within 10 minutes he's awake and screaming. He'll play on the floor for a bit and in the exersaucer for a while. But if I get up and walk away he cries, if I put him down he cries, if I'm trying to give DD (5 mos) her bottle, he cries because I'm not holding him. He's cried much of the morning and finally fell asleep, in my arms of course. I know the minute I go lay him down he'll be awake again. Grandma is on vacation for 2 weeks so that should help. I can't and I won't sit and hold him all day. Thankfully DD is a very easy going baby and will just hang out playing with her toys on the floor while I try and take care of DCB, but I feel like she gets the short end of the stick and I don't like that. Because I can't always help her right away when she needs something. When he wakes up after being laying down by himself for 10 minutes, I go in, calm him down, give him his pacifier and shut the door, and he continues to cry until I pick him up. Ialways make sure he's had all of his needs met, make sure he's dry and fed. I play with him, but the minute I walk away he cries. I can't even as much as unload the dishwasher during naptime because he will only nap 20 min when the other kids nap. I know this is only his second week and it'll take some adjustment for him and I both, but the crying all the time is hard to listen to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Zoe 10:42 AM 02-17-2011
There seem to be a LOT of providers who have been having the exact same problem as you this past month! Do a forum search for infant being held!
MNmamaOf4 10:59 AM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
There seem to be a LOT of providers who have been having the exact same problem as you this past month! Do a forum search for infant being held!
Thanks! I'll do that! He's been laying down for 10 minutes and just started crying again. ETA: Thought it was DCB, really my two year old who doesn't want to nap!
MommyMuffin 11:01 AM 02-17-2011
I have the same issue with my 5 month old dcb. I have noticed that mondays are the worst. I have just been following this:

If all needs are met and baby is still fussy I rotate from floor, bouncy, swing...letting him be in each area for 5 - 10 min.

Then if still fussy I put him in pnp in hallway where he can see me. After 5 - 10 minutes if he is still crying then I do it all over again.

One thing that has really helped is I have a neat highchair that can sit back and is padded for infants and I put him in that to watch the other kids play and he seems to really like this.

Whatever you do try to be consistent.

I told myself I will give him until 7 months and if we are still having issues then I will term because I have lots of babies on my waiting list.

It really makes it hard to pay attention to the other dcks and really gives me a headache and makes me sad that he is so sad. Its not worth it to keep him if he isnt fitting in..IMHO.
MNmamaOf4 11:22 AM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I have the same issue with my 5 month old dcb. I have noticed that mondays are the worst. I have just been following this:

If all needs are met and baby is still fussy I rotate from floor, bouncy, swing...letting him be in each area for 5 - 10 min.

Then if still fussy I put him in pnp in hallway where he can see me. After 5 - 10 minutes if he is still crying then I do it all over again.

One thing that has really helped is I have a neat highchair that can sit back and is padded for infants and I put him in that to watch the other kids play and he seems to really like this.

Whatever you do try to be consistent.

I told myself I will give him until 7 months and if we are still having issues then I will term because I have lots of babies on my waiting list.

It really makes it hard to pay attention to the other dcks and really gives me a headache and makes me sad that he is so sad. Its not worth it to keep him if he isnt fitting in..IMHO.
Thanks for the advice. It makes me wonder if Grandma ever puts him down during the day. I've been trying to stay consistent and he and my DD are only 2 weeks apart in age, so I do the same things with both of them, DD loves the exersaucer because she can be up and see everything, but she also loves rolling around on the playmats on the floor and playing with toys.
Tags:crying, held constantly
Reply Up