Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sippy Cups ?
BentleysBands 03:51 AM 10-07-2010
how do u work drinks/cups ?? do u allow lil ones sippy cups around ur playroom/area? my daycare is my home and does not look like a daycare ..very kid friendly and tons of wall things.u can tell i do daycare but more a home feeling...i allow them to walk around w/sippy cups but its becoming a pain. each child here has a color just for them so they know their cups and do not share thankfully. just curious on how you do it
DCMom 04:03 AM 10-07-2010
Nope. All food and drink stays at the table here.
marniewon 04:34 AM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Same here. If, for some strange reason, I only have one child here, I may allow them to have a sippy of WATER away from the table, but that so rarely happens.
mac60 04:36 AM 10-07-2010
All food and drinks are at the table only.
MyAngels 04:39 AM 10-07-2010
I only allow food and drink at the table as well. It just keeps the house cleaner overall, and prevents the kids from accidentally sharing each other's cups, etc.
SilverSabre25 05:01 AM 10-07-2010
Food and drinks at the table only and each kid gets a different color cup for the day (I'm not organized enough to do the same color every day, lol). I use the Take or Toss cups so that I don't have to cope with valves...ooooh I HATE those things!
DancingQueen 05:02 AM 10-07-2010
I just instituted the very same policy starting today :lol
Lilbutterflie 05:57 AM 10-07-2010
Food and drink has to stay in the kitchen area. That's also the rule with my own kids at all times, not just when the daycare kids are here.
boysx5 06:00 AM 10-07-2010
after mess after mess I only allow them at the table as well they still try to sneak away but they are getting it for the most part
WImom 06:17 AM 10-07-2010
All drinks and food stay at the table.
Crystal 07:29 AM 10-07-2010
yep. all stay at the table. No way I want to be cleaning up small messes all day.

I did an observation/assessment on a program once....when I walked in all I could smell was sour milk because the provider allowed the children to walk around with cups and bottles which I witnessed dripping onto the sofa and ottoman. It was GROSS.
tenderhearts 07:38 AM 10-07-2010
I do not allow anyone cups away from the table, they want a drink they sit down at the table.
momma2girls 02:51 PM 10-07-2010
I am the same way, they drink or eat on the table in the kitchen!! I once had a mom about 6 yrs. ago, ask me if I would allow her little boy to carry around a sippie cup all day- I told her absolutely not!!
Former Teacher 04:11 PM 10-07-2010
It's against state law (TX) to allow a child to walk around with a bottle or a sippy.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Same here. ALL food and drink stays at table. We also use those plastic cups with the snap on lids (ones that still drip). I use these for new learners and by the time they are 2 years old, they get a Dixie cup with no lid. Kids are capable, they can use cups without lids so much earlier than parents give them credit for. If they spill at the table, so what?! Kids make messes, kids learn...they get better every day. It saddens me to see a 4 and 5 year olds walking around holding a sippy cup under their arm... Why not just let them have a bottle!?! If they are thirsty, they should get a water bottle. I get the whole mess issue for parents but kids do make messes. I always hear moms saying, "But in the car, they'll spill...." Why does everyone think we need to drink in the car? I could see if we were taking a trip or something, but otherwise it doesn't seem necessary. I do not allow any of those dripless sippy cups at daycare either. I never allow anyone to have food or drink unless sitting at the table.
Unregistered 09:34 AM 10-08-2010
Daycare kids cups stay at the table I did allow my own kids walk around with sippy cups until the age of 2 then they got straw cups and they stay at the table.
PAMommy1228 09:52 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here. ALL food and drink stays at table. We also use those plastic cups with the snap on lids (ones that still drip). I use these for new learners and by the time they are 2 years old, they get a Dixie cup with no lid. Kids are capable, they can use cups without lids so much earlier than parents give them credit for. If they spill at the table, so what?! Kids make messes, kids learn...they get better every day. It saddens me to see a 4 and 5 year olds walking around holding a sippy cup under their arm... Why not just let them have a bottle!?! If they are thirsty, they should get a water bottle. I get the whole mess issue for parents but kids do make messes. I always hear moms saying, "But in the car, they'll spill...." Why does everyone think we need to drink in the car? I could see if we were taking a trip or something, but otherwise it doesn't seem necessary. I do not allow any of those dripless sippy cups at daycare either. I never allow anyone to have food or drink unless sitting at the table.
I do this too. My 19 month old is almost on a cup all the time. She tends to play though and think it's s sippy and hold it with one hand and spill, but I already have a huge mess from the food that is dropped on the ground, what is a few drops of water. lol
DBug 10:21 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by PAMommy1228:
I do this too. My 19 month old is almost on a cup all the time. She tends to play though and think it's s sippy and hold it with one hand and spill, but I already have a huge mess from the food that is dropped on the ground, what is a few drops of water. lol
I switch to cups around 18 months or so (depending on the child), and the best is the look on a parent's face when they show up at snack time to see their child drinking from a big kid cup . It's like they've never entertained the idea of giving their child a regular cup -- it has to be a sippy or a bottle. I've had a few kids drinking competently from a cup, while still taking bottles at home . I'm not sure I get it, but hey, if it works for them, who am I to argue?
marniewon 11:49 AM 10-08-2010
I just had a real DUH moment!! Chalk me up as one of those parents who just keep giving sippy cups out of habit or whatever......

My grand-daughter is here every Friday. She's 2 1/2. I just realized that I gave her a sippy cup at lunch today!!! I've never even tried a regular cup with her, but I'm sure she can do it! She drinks out of a water bottle no problem. Now to remember all the way to NEXT friday to give her a regular cup!
misol 11:58 AM 10-08-2010
Same here. I only allow food and drink in the kitchen only. After I started daycare, I started making my own kids follow this rule as well. When they ask why Mom and Dad get to eat elsewhere in the house, I just tell them only grownups can eat outside the kitchen.
DCMom 11:59 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL, I so could have written this! We think alike blackcat31
Tags:sippy cup
Reply Up