Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It A Phase?!?!?! Please God Say Yes!!
sahm2three 12:20 PM 04-05-2011
Ok, so my newly 1 yo dcb has decided to give up napping. I don't know what to do. He is the one who was/is colicky. If he is awake, most times he is crying. We got some fresh air today, which usually means good naps, nope. Not for him. He has been a NIGHTMARE for about 2 weeks. He had gotten better, but now, today, HOLY CRAP!!!! How long do you let a child scream before you call parents? I love the parents, and love this little guy, but if this doesn't stop soon, I might lose my mind!!! Right now I have ear buds in and have my ipod on full blast. I have him on the opposite side of the house that I have the other kids for this reason, he never sleeps and screams when I try to make him. Ideas? I honestly thought I paid my dues with my own son who was extremely colicky and high needs but now I have this dcb who is so much like my own son. When it was my own kid, I would pack my son and dd into the van and drive. It would sooth him to sleep and my dd could watch a movie. I can't do that with all the other dck's. I don't want to have to term.....what do I do?!
Live and Learn 01:17 PM 04-05-2011
....ok guys don't flame me....

What would I do? He would cry it out here.
I would put him down for his nap at 1:00 turn on the monitor so I could see him and then go get him at 3:00. Kids at this age sometimes try to trick us into believing they don't need a nap....SO NOT TRUE!!...

C.I.O. Every nap until back on schedule. If you stick with this it really works.
littlemissmuffet 01:20 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:

I would put him down for his nap at 1:00 turn on the monitor so I could see him and then go get him at 3:00. Kids at this age sometimes try to trick us into believing they don't need a nap....SO NOT TRUE!!...

C.I.O. Every nap until back on schedule. If you stick with this it really works.
Same thing would (and has) happen(ed) here.
grandmom 01:42 PM 04-05-2011
I agree, but it is sooooo hard to do this That's why I enjoy this website so much. Thanks.
sahm2three 02:31 PM 04-05-2011

Ugh. Like honestly just put him to bed at 1 and then not go in again until 3?!? I don't know if I could listen to him without going in. I went in a few times to pat his back and lie him back down.....but still nothing. He is a BEAR this afternoon. Just going from one thing to the other that he knows he isn't supposed to do and won't play with toys. And the screaming.....my ipod has been a life saver today!!! UGH! The rest of the kids are on edge a bit too because they are tired of the screaming too. I keep thinking that with each milestone he will get less cranky. Nope.
cheerfuldom 02:49 PM 04-05-2011
its obviously not a phase since you said he had been super fussy from day one. Either just put up with it or let him go. But yes, I institute nap times and a routine and would let him cry it out. But I also don't put up with cryers long term. If they aren't happy here, the right thing to do is give the parents and child a chance to find somewhere where they would be. Plus, don't forget all the kids have to hear that all day too. Its not fair to them either.
mac60 04:38 PM 04-05-2011
Same situation here, and I let them CIO, didn't start doing this till switched to milk at 10 months, now bad poop, bad bum, and incessant screaming at nap. Lucky for me I have a back room to put them in.
MsMe 04:57 PM 04-05-2011

same here.
MsMe 05:01 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Same situation here, and I let them CIO, didn't start doing this till switched to milk at 10 months, now bad poop, bad bum, and incessant screaming at nap. Lucky for me I have a back room to put them in.
is he not napping bc of the bad poops and sore bottom? This doesnt really sound like a CIO situation.....

am I reading something wrong?
sahm2three 06:51 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
its obviously not a phase since you said he had been super fussy from day one. Either just put up with it or let him go. But yes, I institute nap times and a routine and would let him cry it out. But I also don't put up with cryers long term. If they aren't happy here, the right thing to do is give the parents and child a chance to find somewhere where they would be. Plus, don't forget all the kids have to hear that all day too. Its not fair to them either.
He was really colicky. Cried all the time. Then for a few months, he got better. Was still a cranky franky, but didn't cry ALL the time. Now, he is pretty fussy, and this week, if he is awake and not being held he is crying like he is on fire. And naps, FORGET IT. I love this little guy, and have a soft spot for him because my son was so hard and I am so thankful I got to stay home with him. So I want a good loving place for this little guy. I am a bleeding heart. Ugh.
cheerfuldom 07:06 PM 04-05-2011
yes I understand. You are a big hearted person that is trying to make a difference in a childs life. I was exactly you with one particular child because I was afraid that if I sent her away, someone else would mistreat her. She was so exhausting and demanding that I was sure no one else could deal with her gently. However, when I realized that I was pushing away my own child in order to give as much as I could to this DC girl, enough was enough. This was 18 months of trying to work something out with this kid. She was especially jealous of my own kids and would SCREAM the entire time I tried to do anything for anyone else. The best thing I ever did was terminate her, should have done it a lot sooner. I found out later that she was just as awful in the next daycare unfortunately. But I finally had my sanity back and was able to redevote myself to my little girls. I truly regret the mistake of putting someone else's child so far ahead of my own. It was like a new home when she was gone. Everyone was happier, refreshed, and the stress of that constant unhappiness was finally gone. I only share this to encourage you to prioritize correctly. Yes this child is important but your sanity and your home should always come first.
Tags:sleep problems, won't sleep
Reply Up