Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How on Earth Does a 1yo Keep Herself from Going to Sleep?!
sahm2three 01:27 PM 11-18-2011
I have a 1 yo dcg who is a super fussy kid. She isn't happy unless I am on the floor with her or holding her (which I don't do so she cries a LOT). So, when it is her nap time, that is when I attempt to get my sanity back. Well, this week she has decided to just not sleep. She stands and screams in her pnp. Sleeping was one thing she used to do well, and I was so thankful for it! Now all the sudden she won't sleep at all. No fever. Doesn't eat well anyway, but that has remained the same. I have given her tylenol and teething tablets thinking maybe her teeth were bothering her. I had mom come get her early yesterday because she screamed all day long. Mom said she was fine in the evening, but went to bed early. Ugh. I just don't know. I, for some reason, attract the screamers and non-sleepers. I moved the other baby out of the room she was sharing so that i can just let her CIO. So, two issues, not sleeping, and is a miserable crying mess when she is awake. Ugh. Ideas? (If I termed every child in my daycare with issues, I would have no kids left)
cheerfuldom 01:34 PM 11-18-2011
you can try the mitted sweatshirts so she can't pull up in the crib and hang on to the side keeping herself awake. Besides that, I would keep doing CIO. I have had several kids hit a stage where they are a crying exhausted mess all the time. Here's what I do: I put them down for nap as soon as they get here, they stay in there and CIO and only come out if they need to eat or have a diaper change, then straight back in there into they take a nap. If they cannot be happy awake, then back they go to try again for a nap. There was one that took 3 days to finally give up and take a nap. Some take a few weeks of crying before every nap before they realize that there is no point and naps are not optional. Sometimes you get a kid that will just not give up and of course they wear themselves out at your house and pass out at home. The parents don't normally care until it becomes a problem at home. Don't even depend on the parents knowing what to do or having helpful suggestions at all.
sahm2three 01:44 PM 11-18-2011
So do I just tough out the next 2.5 hours or call mom and say, "She hasn't slept OR stopped crying all day. As soon as you can get here would be great" I soooooo want to be professional about this, but holy smokes, how much listening to a toddler cry all the live long day can one person take?
sahm2three 01:45 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
you can try the mitted sweatshirts so she can't pull up in the crib and hang on to the side keeping herself awake.
What are mitted sweatshirts?
cheerfuldom 02:00 PM 11-18-2011
It's up to you what you can handle or not.....If you are going to call mom every time she is crying for an extended period of time, then you might as well term her. (Or mom will term you because the calls will show that you cannot deal with her daughter) There IS going to be A LOT of crying in order to overcome this. From your post, she sounds very stubborn with lots of determination to cry until she gets what she wants. I would bet that crying ALWAYS works at home and the looonnnnng bouts of crying with you are because 1. she is exhausted and 2. crying always works at home and she is sure it will work with you. It's either term and replace her with a child that fits in better or do some hard core CIO until she gives up and sees that crying gets absolutely nothing. I have been doing infant only care for going on 5 years (with several years childcare experience before that) and these two options are what I have come up with. As for the mitted sweatshirts, I think you should be able to search for that. I know Nanny as posted pictures and everything, she makes her own. It's basically an oversized sweatshirt with the sleeves folded over and sewn so the hand is covered and the child cannot grasp well. Works for kids that are throwing toys, undressing themselves and such. you can easily make your own and pop it on her before every nap. I bet she will go to sleep if you could just get her to lie down. Before I knew about these, I had one kid that would hang onto the side for so long, he would fall asleep standing up.
KBCsMommy 02:04 PM 11-18-2011
Hang in there!!!!

First off you will have to make the mitted shirt!!!

But they are really easy to make. Just take a sweatshirt that is about 2 sizes too big and sew the ends up where their hands would come out.

This will help with her pulling herself up in the pnp. It will be too slippery so she will give up and lay down, eventually crying herself to sleep.

Also the time change has really screwed up kids too. (At least thats what I think!) Keep putting her down as you normally do and let her CIO.

I have an 8mo dcbaby that is exactly the same way. He started climbing the crib and screaming through his naps. His parents didnt care because he was sleeping fine at home.( UMM no wonder he hasnt slept for 8 hours).

NannyD suggested this to me. I just grabbed one of my kids shirts from last year and hand sewed up the ends. And it totally worked!! So now he still cries but at least I know he will eventually sleep because he cant pull himself up!
But then the timechange happened and he was sleeping two naps a day for an hour and a half. And now Im lucky if he sleeps an hour a day. I did notice today he went right down for his morning nap and cried only a few minutes this afternoon at 12:30 he is still sleeping and its 2!!YAY!!

Dont even talk to the parents about it. I would just let know only if they ask about her napping. Other than that they probaly dont care because she is sleeping fine at home. Its not bothering them so why would they care!! YKWIM!! At least thats how my dcbabies parents feel!!
Tags:1 year old, won't sleep
Reply Up