Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Food Program & Meal Deduction?
midaycare 10:17 AM 01-06-2015
I'm hiring an accountant this year, but I want to understand how this works. How do you use the food program, and also claim the Standard Meal Allowance?

I know for the FP I can only claim a variation of 3 meals/snacks per day. The SMA allows you to claim up to 6. I never serve more than 4, but how does that work? Am I supposed to be keeping track of all of the extra meals in Minute Menu and then give that tally to my accountant?

TIA,
midaycare
Michael 02:06 PM 01-06-2015
Some more threads on Meal Deductions: https://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=meal+deductions
Unregistered 02:41 PM 01-06-2015
I keep track of all extra meals in minute menu, the food program knows your doing this for taxes, and just disallow the extra meals.
spinnymarie 05:29 PM 01-06-2015
I think the answer is yes TOm's book, the Tax guide one, has a place for you to track all the meals that were paid for by a food program PLUS all the meals that weren't reimbursed and that's the number you use for the taxes. You will also claim the income from the Food program as income.
TomCopeland 02:13 PM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm hiring an accountant this year, but I want to understand how this works. How do you use the food program, and also claim the Standard Meal Allowance?

I know for the FP I can only claim a variation of 3 meals/snacks per day. The SMA allows you to claim up to 6. I never serve more than 4, but how does that work? Am I supposed to be keeping track of all of the extra meals in Minute Menu and then give that tally to my accountant?

TIA,
midaycare
You can deduct all meals/snacks served to daycare children, including those that are not reimbursed by the Food Program. If your CACFP sponsor allows you to put all your meals/snacks into Minute Menu, then do so. If they don't want you to do this, then keep track of these extra meals/snacks elsewhere and add them together when claiming your food expenses.
M&Mgal 02:27 PM 02-17-2015
My food program lady doesn't work with Minute Menu, unfortunately. So no submitting electronically for me. And she doesn't want me to check the extra boxes; she seems to think I'm asking to be paid for those meals I have to print out my MM paperwork for FP each month without the extra meals marked, then after I have printed my monthly forms for the FP I go through and check the extra boxes for my taxes. (Thanks for the reminder! I just realized/remembered that I never checked the afternoon snack boxes for one child last month after printing my FP stuff!)
Tags:food program, meal deductions
Reply Up