Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Excluding for "Virus"?
DanceMom 01:39 PM 02-25-2016
I have a 7mth old in full time care that has been getting different "viruses" like weekly. He comes down with something, parents take him in and doc says virus every single time so far. Never a fever with these
"Viruses"....

When do you or don't you exclude for a virus? Obviously a virus is contagious but so is a common cold...
Thriftylady 01:45 PM 02-25-2016
Gosh I am not sure what to say. I can tell you that after my experience with DD when she was little, I would be switching doctors. From the time DD was born, the doctor told me she had a "snot nosed cold" but it never really went away. It was year round and constant. I had used that doctor with my son and trusted him. When DD was 7, we moved to Ohio and went to see a new pedi and she was diagnosed with allergies and the meds cleared her mostly up. She still had a cough at night often, the same pedi diagnosed her with asthma after she finally caught her wheezing. Turns out the coughing was from the asthma. I have decided some doctors just go with the first easy answer. Do you think they would be willing to get a second opinion?
e.j. 01:45 PM 02-25-2016
If it's a mild virus (like a mild cold), I don't exclude. If it's a virus that comes with vomit, diarrhea, fever, rash, etc., I do exclude. I don't want to have to deal with body fluids and/or a miserable kid while I try to care for several other kids.
DanceMom 01:50 PM 02-25-2016
She said she doesn't really agree with the doctor but it's been their pediatrician with their family for 3 yrs(she has a 3 daughter too). So I doubt it...thankfully (and not) the father is laid off so taking time off work isn't an issue - I just don't want him here infecting everyone with his "viruses" but don't want to exclude either if I shouldn't be. I always go with my gut and have sent him right back home each time he's came the last two weeks - but then doc with his virus diagnosis throws me off...
Thriftylady 01:58 PM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
She said she doesn't really agree with the doctor but it's been their pediatrician with their family for 3 yrs(she has a 3 daughter too). So I doubt it...thankfully (and not) the father is laid off so taking time off work isn't an issue - I just don't want him here infecting everyone with his "viruses" but don't want to exclude either if I shouldn't be. I always go with my gut and have sent him right back home each time he's came the last two weeks - but then doc with his virus diagnosis throws me off...
I could be wrong, but it just doesn't sound like virus to me. That could be because of the whole thing with DD though.
Leigh 02:14 PM 02-25-2016
Parents seem to think that "just a virus" isn't a big deal. If it's causing symptoms that I exclude for, I exclude. Just because there isn't an antibiotic available for the illness doesn't mean that it's OK to spread it around my daycare!
snbauser 02:24 PM 02-25-2016
I exclude for the symptoms not for the diagnosis.
Fiddlesticks 08:10 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I exclude for the symptoms not for the diagnosis.
Agree. Influenza is a virus. There is also the rotoVIRUS and measles. Heck, Ebola is also a virus! A virus doesn't make it less serious than a bacterial infection, it just means it is less treatable. If it were bacterial they would be on antibiotics and back in care after 24 hours, with a virus they have to wait out the symptoms.
kitykids3 01:39 PM 02-26-2016
I don't exclude based on diagnosis. I exclude on symptoms listed in my handbook. I'm not a doc, I figure if they have those symptoms severe enough to be 'sick' they're sick, whether virus, bacteria or blue moon. lol Either can make you pretty sick or mildly. It's just bacteria that antibiotics for but nowadays I think most doctors just say 'it's a virus' so that we aren't overprescribing antibiotics and because it's hard to tell difference anyways. Either way, they're both contagious. What are babies symptoms? Do you have a sick policy on excluding for symptoms? If not, maybe make one up and hand out and then you can refer to that if you feel you need to exclude.
Tags:excluding, illness policy, viruses
Reply Up