Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Morning routine help!
momneedscoffee 12:13 PM 10-24-2016
So I need some help with a morning routine. I haven't had much of one since it started getting cooler outside. So I would love to hear what you all do to keep busy until lunch! Right now mine looks like this: 730- 9 is when the daycare kids are dropped off so it is just free play during this time. The kids are usually super happy at thia time so that works well. Then I'm basically lost until lunch. If the weather is good we will sometimes go to the park around 10. If it's not super nice we will play in the backyard for awhile but they are usually wanting to come in pretty quickly. I try to do some sort of art or craft but it has been hard thinking of things to do with a 1 yr old, 1.5 yr old, 2.5 yr old, and 4 yr olds. It seems like around 10 the kids either need to get rid of energy or have something to focus their attention on or they are naughty and just want to drag toys around.... ugh. Help please !
Controlled Chaos 12:26 PM 10-24-2016
I would cycle though other indoor gross motor activities inside.
Monday - Kids workout video
Tuesday - Freeze Dance
Wednesday - Halloween Dance Party
Thursday - Indoor Obstacle Course
Friday - Parachute Play

Something like that.
And maybe try to have an extra sensory activity available on days they are extra antsy. Playdoh or corn is our favorite right now.
BrynleeJean 12:38 PM 10-24-2016
7a. Kids arrive Freeplay and breakfast
8:25a Clean up for outside OR large motor activity, if the weather isn't nice we will do kids yoga or group games or dances
9:00a clean up and water break
9:10a Circle time- could be flash cards, songs like abcs or other preschool songs, intro a theme your focusing on, story to back that theme. I put children under 1 in a bumbo so they aren't destroying the class while we are doing circle time.
9:30a. Table work: I have a curriculum and specific books for each child and their skill set, it's mostly coloring or painting for older ones for building their hand muscles and hand eye coordination. Mine under 1 plays in the adjacent room for babies, or in a bimbo with a book or a table toy like the bead train.
9:50a. Manipulative free play/one on one working, I work with the kids for a time one on one to help them where they need it academically on what we are learning, and it's our special time they love it, the other kids will do toys like puzzles or blocks on the floor. I'll have them switch toys if they get antsy
10:15a. Arts and crafts OR group game/activity: some days we will do something like paint a pumpkin other days if I didn't plan anything we may go no a "color hunt" finding things that are orange like a pumpkin, or other games like Mr Clown.
10:40a. Music and movement I have them free dance while I make lunch
11:00a. table toy : they do a table toy together while I'm finishing up lunch plates
11:15a. Lunch

I find my day goes much faster and there isn't much time for bordum (with the kids) when I break everything up in 15-30min activities as well as rotate between Learning/sitting activities and Freeplay/Non structured activities.

Would love to hear others schedules!
daycare 01:21 PM 10-24-2016
Originally Posted by momneedscoffee:
So I need some help with a morning routine. I haven't had much of one since it started getting cooler outside. So I would love to hear what you all do to keep busy until lunch! Right now mine looks like this: 730- 9 is when the daycare kids are dropped off so it is just free play during this time. The kids are usually super happy at thia time so that works well. Then I'm basically lost until lunch. If the weather is good we will sometimes go to the park around 10. If it's not super nice we will play in the backyard for awhile but they are usually wanting to come in pretty quickly. I try to do some sort of art or craft but it has been hard thinking of things to do with a 1 yr old, 1.5 yr old, 2.5 yr old, and 4 yr olds. It seems like around 10 the kids either need to get rid of energy or have something to focus their attention on or they are naughty and just want to drag toys around.... ugh. Help please !
would you be open to circle time, with a book reading or story board?

We are inside from 9am to 11 every day, outside until 12:15, lunch is outside at 12:30pm..

my advise would be to set up a quiet play area for your littles who may not be able to do circle time. eventually they will gravitate over to join in on circle time when they see how much fun it is. the only kids in my group that are required to do circle time are my pre-kinders.

9:00-clean up

9:10-dance time
9:20-welcome everyone song
9:30-calendar-jump number of days
9:40- reading time, with movement
9:55-get up and move, wiggles
10:05 bathroom toilet time, those that don't have to toilet, have them read a book to a little until it's time for thier diaper change.

10:30 am snack
10:50-outside prep
11:00- outside activity time, small circles, free play
12:15-clean up, potty time
12:30-lunch

adjust for your age group and kids
Josiegirl 02:56 PM 10-24-2016
Nothing is written in stone for my group but this is essentially our schedule-
arrival of all between 7:15-8
Breakfast and clean up
Potty time
Outside at 9:00-10:00
Free play when we get back inside, but that can include anything from sensory tub, playdoh, puzzles, dramatic play, blocks, large motor games, art/crafts, etc. In other words they get to choose and I help maintain the peace.
Lunch 11-11:30, then clean up and potty time, stories
Nap 12:15-2
Pick up, snack, outdoors from 3-4
Freeplay again from 4-closing(today at 4 they were all working puzzles, my whole kitchen was filled up )
We have a flexible schedule based around meals and naptime.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:11 PM 10-24-2016
I like really big blocks of time so kids can get deeply involved. My schedule is flexible and adapts according to mood, weather, kids' engagement, etc, but is generally:

8-11 Outside play (with morning snack/meeting at 9:00). In nice weather, we're out this whole time, including kids' drop offs and snack. In addition to outside stuff, I often bring out a stack of books to read on a blanket, or some art supplies, or an indoor toy like magnatiles (we love those in the sun). As the weather gets colder, we stay inside until after snack, but get out by about 9:20-9:30 or so.

11:00 Inside to make lunch. In gorgeous weather, we go back out to eat. Otherwise, we stay in. Lunch is at about 11:15, followed by potty/teeth, followed by a short circle, then nap/rest.

12-2 Nap for preschoolers. I also have homeschoolers; they rest 12-1, then do reading and writing stuff with me.

2:00 Afternoon snack.

2:30-4ish. Free play and project time (when I'm available to work with the kids on ongoing project work; we're Reggio-inspired). In gorgeous weather, we often go back outside.

Clean up, and then something small (reading, puzzle, etc.) until kids leave at 4:30.

(In the winter, sometimes I'll reverse this schedule so we're outside in the afternoon, when it's warmer, but outside play in the morning works better for our nap.)
Unregistered 03:20 AM 10-25-2016
7:00-8:00. Arrival. Choice of table toys

8:00 Clean up table

8:15 Breakfast

8:30-9:30. Free choice play. Two to three days a week a creative art choice is available during this time.

9:30 clean up

9:40 circle time-stories (book, flannel board or puppet prop story), songs, weather, possible inter-active learning activity,etc I keep circle to about 10 min.

Wash hands

10:00 snack

10:15-11:15 outside play. We've had a super nice fall, so we are still out this long. I'm in a northern state. We do go out all winter unless too cold. I don't do snow suits...coats, hats, mittens, boots and we play on the driveway/sidewalk

If it's too cold I do music and movement and a second free play later in the morning.

11:30-11:50 select from the math game shelf- some small motor options on here. there are options on there for kids under two like a pegboard with large pieces or I direct them to puzzles. Young toddlers might play a little too.

11:50 wash hands

12:00 lunch

12:30-2:30/3:00 nap.

3:15 snack

3:30-5:00 outside during warmer weather. Shorter time in fall. Not out in winter usually. So free play till departure in winter.

I have two dedicated rooms set up in interest/play areas. My kids generally stay engaged.

I have the sensory table open almost every day. Usually a pouring material. It's orange lentils and colored noodles right now. I don't change it a lot tho. Usually the containers get changed. I usually have oatmeal in there. I stay close by if I have a younger group.

I have play doh, paper, oil pastels-dark paper, crayons, scissors, glue, markers, & coloring books available on our table at all times. I make my own playdoh and color and scent change often.

I have an easel up all the time with markers. It's a wooden easel with clear panels. Kids can see through it and see their friend on the other side. They use that a lot!
childcaremom 03:57 AM 10-25-2016
Arrivals 7 - 8:30

8:30 Snack

9:00 - 9:30 Art, playdough, or sensory

9:30 - 11:30 Outside, free play

11:30 lunch

That is how our morning goes. We go outside all weather. If it is freezing cold (wind chill) we shorten our outdoor time and have free play inside.
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 10-25-2016
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I like really big blocks of time so kids can get deeply involved. My schedule is flexible and adapts according to mood, weather, kids' engagement, etc, but is generally:

8-11 Outside play (with morning snack/meeting at 9:00). In nice weather, we're out this whole time, including kids' drop offs and snack. In addition to outside stuff, I often bring out a stack of books to read on a blanket, or some art supplies, or an indoor toy like magnatiles (we love those in the sun). As the weather gets colder, we stay inside until after snack, but get out by about 9:20-9:30 or so.

11:00 Inside to make lunch. In gorgeous weather, we go back out to eat. Otherwise, we stay in. Lunch is at about 11:15, followed by potty/teeth, followed by a short circle, then nap/rest.

12-2 Nap for preschoolers. I also have homeschoolers; they rest 12-1, then do reading and writing stuff with me.

2:00 Afternoon snack.

2:30-4ish. Free play and project time (when I'm available to work with the kids on ongoing project work; we're Reggio-inspired). In gorgeous weather, we often go back outside.

Clean up, and then something small (reading, puzzle, etc.) until kids leave at 4:30.

(In the winter, sometimes I'll reverse this schedule so we're outside in the afternoon, when it's warmer, but outside play in the morning works better for our nap.)
We are very much like this ^^

Our schedule is a loosely followed routine that allows for large blocks of time whether it's outside time, art or block play or whatever it is the kids are into that day/time.

The only real hard fast time we observe is morning snack (9 a.m.) and lunch (noon) and rest time (1:00-3:00)....otherwise, it's wide open and flexible.

Our "circle time" happens during morning snack.
Even the youngest participate because they are present.
Tags:classroom management, daily routine, morning routine, schedule - preschool, sensory table
Reply Up