Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Liquor bottles at home daycare
shamrock 06:21 AM 09-01-2009
My grandsons home daycare is not licensed. I am concerned because the home is literally full of liquor bottles because her husband works for a liquor distributor. Should I report this? I am afraid one of the children is going to get into one of these bottles any day.
mac60 07:05 AM 09-01-2009
If you are insinuating they are out in the open where the children can get them, then yes, something should be said to the provider that they need be put put behind closed doors. If they are in a room/cupboard/area that is not used by daycare, then I don't think it should be a problem. Home daycares do not have to have every inch of their home open to their daycare famlies, imo. Most of us, well me anyways, have certain areas of my home open to daycare, other areas are off limits.

Personally, I would speak to the provider first.
Chickenhauler 11:05 PM 09-06-2009
If they're not accessible to children (on top of cupboards, in the garage, in an area that children are kept out of, in a cupboard out of reach), then there is nothing to worry about.

But, if they're kept in the toybox, the swingset, in the crib, then I'd be concerned.

My liquor is kept in a high cupboard that the kids can't get at, but the beer is in the fridge.
seashell 05:13 AM 09-08-2009
I have a home daycare and I'm a bartender. I have a fully stocked liquor cabinet. (Margaritas anyone?) It is not accessable to the children, but yes, it's here. If the bottles are out where they can touch them, it's a problem. If they are not accessible, I don't see the problem. It's still their home and it is not illegal to have alcohol in a home daycare. I know that I store alot of stuff in liquor boxes because they are a good size and very strong. Maybe your just seeing storage boxes that do not contain liquor? Having owned a bar for several years, I can tell you there are tight controls on alcohol and I doubt the liquor is waiting to be distributed. Anything that's there, they have purchased for personal use. Each bottle that is delivered is either signed for by the permitee or returned on the truck to the terminal at the end of the day. Anything that is unaccounted for is grounds for immedate termination.
ConcernedMotherof2 06:34 AM 09-09-2009
Originally Posted by shamrock:
My grandsons home daycare is not licensed. I am concerned because the home is literally full of liquor bottles because her husband works for a liquor distributor. Should I report this? I am afraid one of the children is going to get into one of these bottles any day.
I agree with some of the other posts here, that there just isn't enough information here to recommend reporting anyone. If there's an actual danger, rather than simply getting report-happy, wouldn't you remove the children from care? If it's not an immediate danger, but you're simply concerned, you should feel free to speak with the provider about your concerns and go from there. As long as the liquor is not within reach of the children (reach, not sight), it shouldn't be an issue. While I would prefer not to have such things within sight of my children at daycare, I also know that I have no right to tell someone that they shouldn't have alcohol in their home (as long as it's not accessable to the children).
Reply Up