Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Unhappy Being Over Protective?

Hi, my son who is 4 has complained to me about 4 times about a certain boy being mean to him. Once he was kicked by the boy, and once pushed to the ground and the other two, he was taunted.

I brought this up to his "teacher" and she said that there have been some issues with some boys being mean, and not much else. When I asked what they do as disciplinary actions, she told me she tells them to stop. I wasn't totally put at ease, but didn't want to make a big deal out of the situation. However, the other day, I dropped my son off, and he brought in a stuff animal. When we entered the room two boys started yelling at my son. I started to get my son's gloves off when the two boys came over and again started yelling at my son and even got nose to nose with him. I try to tell them to stop so they took a couple of steps back, though they kept yelling at him. Then they both start to grab and kick the stuff animal and even kicked my son, though I think it was not their intention. I later found out the one boy is the one who is regularly mean to my son and is actually the daycare director's son.

I talked to the teacher and told her I felt that this was inappropriate and really unacceptable and I am concerned that if this boy is comfortable enough to behave this way in front of me, what he does when I am not there. She told me that my son does not instigate or even retaliate when this boy is mean to him. When we got to my car, my son told me that this same boy hit him and then called him names repeatedly until the teacher told him to stop.

Part of me feels that because this child's mother is the director, that they are not fairly addressing the issue. Am I overreacting by wanting to take him out of this daycare?

Last edited by Michael; 12-13-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Johnathan

Wink Daycare Bully is the Teachers Son

We went through the same thing and there is one thing I would say. Get your son out of that daycare! This teacher obviously has lousy parenting skills and this situation will only make your son more inhibited. I have even had a teacher call it the "pecking order". Your son will only lose in his current situation and through life will most likely feel threatened. We took our son out of the school and home-schooled him. He excelled and is now in collage at the age of 15 and loves it. I am not saying that you should home-school him but at the very least move him to a more educational and inviting environment. It will save you so much grief in the future. Good luck.

Tags
over protective