Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Door Alarms and Daycare Monitor
Thriftylady 08:44 PM 08-14-2015
These are two things I need to get yet. I am having some issues. First of all on the door alarms, we rent so I would like something with no holes is that even possible? I am only thinking of getting them at this point because one of the new DCGs I just signed is six and has cerebral palsy. Her mom said the part of her brain affected sometimes causes her to act impulsively and do something dangerous even though she knows better. For instance she knows she can't go in the street, and mostly follows the rule but sometimes she will impulsively run after a ball or something. Cost is also an issue.

I am also looking for a decent baby monitor. There are so many out there I have no idea what to look for. Again cost is an issue.

Any thoughts, ideas, reviews?
spedmommy4 09:46 PM 08-14-2015
GE makes a no drill door alarm in the $10 range. I got one in my big red safety box from the Nationly Autism Association.

In terms of monitors, it sounds like she is going to need to be in your line of sight at all times during outdoor play. My daughter has Autism, is 10, and still occasionally forgets to do things like check for cars.

What has always worked best for her are visual boundaries. When she was younger and I wanted her to stay in a certain area, I put up a few laminated signs along the boundary line that said stop. It was just a reminder but pretty effective. Once she's old enough, or a little less impusive, you can use things in the environment. (Eg: don't pass the bushes)
Thriftylady 10:02 PM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
GE makes a no drill door alarm in the $10 range. I got one in my big red safety box from the Nationly Autism Association.

In terms of monitors, it sounds like she is going to need to be in your line of sight at all times during outdoor play. My daughter has Autism, is 10, and still occasionally forgets to do things like check for cars.

What has always worked best for her are visual boundaries. When she was younger and I wanted her to stay in a certain area, I put up a few laminated signs along the boundary line that said stop. It was just a reminder but pretty effective. Once she's old enough, or a little less impusive, you can use things in the environment. (Eg: don't pass the bushes)
Oh I always go outside with the kiddos. I guess I didn't explain myself well on that, I am looking for more of a baby monitor. For inside not just for this girl, I just fell it is a need.
Thriftylady 10:07 PM 08-14-2015
Spedmommy is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1289027
spedmommy4 05:44 AM 08-15-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:

The one they sent me with the kit had an adhesive on the back, like those command hooks. That is the brand though. The alarm is loud. You can hear it from anywhere in your home.

In terms of baby monitors, I would just check reviews. My "baby" is 10 so it's been a long time since I bought one.
Febby 05:49 AM 08-15-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:

My center uses a similar alarm, but I don't know the brand we use. Ours are attached with an adhesive pad, also. And it makes the loudest, most obnoxious noise ever, haha.

I don't know about baby monitors though.
spedmommy4 10:17 AM 08-15-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
My center uses a similar alarm, but I don't know the brand we use. Ours are attached with an adhesive pad, also. And it makes the loudest, most obnoxious noise ever, haha.

I don't know about baby monitors though.
I agree. The sound is so obnoxious. The nice thing about the ge brand is that you can shut it off. (For nap time, after hours, etc.)
Thriftylady 10:35 AM 08-15-2015
After a text with mom, she said she didn't think they were needed. But I talked to DH and we agreed it wouldn't be a bad idea since this is a daycare. So I got one of them for now, I put it on the front screen door, because we leave the wood door open a lot during the day to see out and get sunshine in. We are going to test it out and see if we want two more. I like that it has off, chime and alarm. I had to buy adhesive strips, it didn't come with them but they are fairly cheap also.
Baby Beluga 12:27 PM 08-15-2015
I have these as well. They were originally put in place for my own child but have come in handy with daycare as well. Make sure to point them out during tours - I have and parents always comment/like the chimes.
Thriftylady 01:40 PM 08-15-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have these as well. They were originally put in place for my own child but have come in handy with daycare as well. Make sure to point them out during tours - I have and parents always comment/like the chimes.
Thanks for the advice. I only have one right now and it is making me nuts. One won't be making noise hardly at all if I use it, we don't use the back French doors much. We do use the back door but it doesn't open and close nearly as much. I have a DCB here right now so it is on. When he leaves, it is getting shut off lol.
MarinaVanessa 01:42 PM 08-15-2015
Before putting in our fancy door alarm system we had inexpensive ones from Lowe's that we got for $10. Those were sticky ones and worked pretty well. I'm sure you can find something similar. It's basically just an alarm that you stick on the door/window and a magnet that you stick to the frame. If they get separated by more than 1 1/2" then it chimes etc.

As far as baby monitors go, we looked into several different ones and they get pretty pricey. If you want something with a video feed then you're looking at $100 or more easy and that's for a grainy image. Instead of a baby monitor I went out and got a home security camera that plugs into the wall for power and works off of our WiFi. There's an app and a website that you can use (free) that you can log onto and can view the images. The images are super clear and have a night vision that is automatically set for darkened rooms. I can view the feed from my phone, tablet or computer and I spend about the same as I would have for a baby monitor with a good quality video feed ($200) but I a much better quality feed than the baby monitor and if I want to I can hook it up to a recording device. You can hear sound and talk through it, and you can pan up and down and left to right etc. I can also log in from anywhere I am, I don't have to be home. I also don't have to worry about the feed being picked up by someone else's device because it's on a secure connection. Just a thought
Snowmom 05:05 PM 08-16-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Before putting in our fancy door alarm system we had inexpensive ones from Lowe's that we got for $10. Those were sticky ones and worked pretty well. I'm sure you can find something similar. It's basically just an alarm that you stick on the door/window and a magnet that you stick to the frame. If they get separated by more than 1 1/2" then it chimes etc.

As far as baby monitors go, we looked into several different ones and they get pretty pricey. If you want something with a video feed then you're looking at $100 or more easy and that's for a grainy image. Instead of a baby monitor I went out and got a home security camera that plugs into the wall for power and works off of our WiFi. There's an app and a website that you can use (free) that you can log onto and can view the images. The images are super clear and have a night vision that is automatically set for darkened rooms. I can view the feed from my phone, tablet or computer and I spend about the same as I would have for a baby monitor with a good quality video feed ($200) but I a much better quality feed than the baby monitor and if I want to I can hook it up to a recording device. You can hear sound and talk through it, and you can pan up and down and left to right etc. I can also log in from anywhere I am, I don't have to be home. I also don't have to worry about the feed being picked up by someone else's device because it's on a secure connection. Just a thought
What brand is yours? I've been looking at some to buy to view my driveway and I see so many mixed reviews.
Thriftylady 06:43 PM 08-16-2015
Okay that was fun but kinda mean. DD came home from her camp job this evening and I had the door alarm turned off because the chime was driving me nuts and I had no DCKs today. So she left her soccer ball outside, and she places high value on about three things, her car, her music (keyboard and guitar) and her sports stuff. So I turned on the alarm and reminded her that he soccer ball was outside. Talk about jumping out of your pants lol. The worst part is she said "I saw that darn thing up there and you still got me!". It was a good laugh.
MarinaVanessa 02:02 PM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
What brand is yours? I've been looking at some to buy to view my driveway and I see so many mixed reviews.
I'll take a look in a bit when I get home and I'll give you details. I have Mondays off so I'm doing last minute school stuff and appointments. I'll take some screen shots of the feed too.
284878 07:02 AM 08-20-2015
Ltd commodities has 2 both under $10. They hang on the door knob.
Thriftylady 03:04 PM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
Ltd commodities has 2 both under $10. They hang on the door knob.
I might look into those. The one I have keeps needing new pads to keep it stuck in place. One of the doors that isn't used as often may not be so bad, but the front door is a disaster.
rosieteddy 07:55 AM 08-21-2015
I just hunga bell on the door knob it did the trick.It also let me know when parents arrived.
Tags:cctv, door alarm, door chime, monitor
Reply Up