Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Vacation Policy

I need some advice. My vacation policy reads;
Vacation Days: Karla’s home daycare will take two weeks paid vacation per year. Each family is given one week unpaid vacation per contract year.

Example; if you have multiple children enrolled you do not pay for your first but must pay for each additional child. Please provide at least two weeks notice prior to taking vacation.
Is this clear? I have a DCM that says she gets 2 weeks vacation because she has 2 children/contracts enrolled with me. I only give 1 week to each family and I want the wording to be crystal clear!
Old 04-23-2019, 07:45 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

"One-week unpaid vacation per family, per year, with a 30-day notice. Must be taken in a full five-day block." Typically clears this up.

"if you have multiple children enrolled you do not pay for your first but must pay for each additional child"

Q: If she takes a week off and keeps both kids out she should owe nothing for the week, right? If she has to pay for one child she should be able to drop off one child that week.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

If I allow my parent with 2 kids to "owe nothing " for a one week vacation then I'm missing 2 weeks pay. I only allow 1 week per family no matter how many kids they have.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAmomof4 View Post
If I allow my parent with 2 kids to "owe nothing " for a one week vacation then I'm missing 2 weeks pay. I only allow 1 week per family no matter how many kids they have.
I am not following your thought pattern at all.

Are both children not enrolled at full tuition?

Do you not have unpaid vacation time worked into your annual tuition rate? 51 weeks?

Is this an unpaid family vacation or simply a discount?
Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

If it is one week PER FAMILY, then they would get one week (5 consecutive days) of unpaid vacation, regardless of how many children they have. Vacation is per family NOT per child.

If they have 1 child or 3 children, they would owe nothing that week. A family with 3 children would only get ONE week of unpaid vacation.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

I personally would not give them unpaid time.I would recind the original and send a memo''.Due to confusion and misinterpretation Karlas vacation policy is as follows.Family childcare will take two weeks vacation paid each year.Any additional time taken by individual families will need to be paid."Then I would let them know your expected weeks so they can choose their own vacation to coincide.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:07 AM

I re-read a couple more times.

I'd recommend changing the terminology as it is misleading and would not likely hold up in small claims court.

You are essentially giving a discount of one week's tuition for one slot, per family, per year if they keep all of their children out.

You are not offering a week of unpaid family vacation.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

both children are full time. I use the word "family" to cover multiple children. But because the children started at different times They each have their own contracts. This is where, I think, the confusion is coming in.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I am not following your thought pattern at all.

Are both children not enrolled at full tuition?

Do you not have unpaid vacation time worked into your annual tuition rate? 51 weeks?

Is this an unpaid family vacation or simply a discount?
Good point. Maybe if it's 2 kids in care but you're only willing to give 1 child a free week, then rephrase it and say 50% off care for that week. You have to understand her point though because she's paying you full time rate for 2 kids, therefore both kids should get a free week. Think of if you have 1 child from 2 families and they were both off the same week, you would give that to them. I understand her point, but if you want your rule to be different, you have to explain it different. It doesn't make sense that first child is free, but 2nd isn't.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
Good point. Maybe if it's 2 kids in care but you're only willing to give 1 child a free week, then rephrase it and say 50% off care for that week. You have to understand her point though because she's paying you full time rate for 2 kids, therefore both kids should get a free week. Think of if you have 1 child from 2 families and they were both off the same week, you would give that to them. I understand her point, but if you want your rule to be different, you have to explain it different. It doesn't make sense that first child is free, but 2nd isn't.
This is what I was going to suggest, as well. Just do 50% off for all children during vacations. You probably net more, and then it's "fair" for all families and easier to explain.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

Obviously you would still put a limitation on it i.e "must be taken in 5 day increments" and "limited to 5 days per year"
Old 04-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy_mom View Post
If it is one week PER FAMILY, then they would get one week (5 consecutive days) of unpaid vacation, regardless of how many children they have. Vacation is per family NOT per child.

If they have 1 child or 3 children, they would owe nothing that week. A family with 3 children would only get ONE week of unpaid vacation.

This is very confusing. I would just take away the unpaid vacation maybe discount the week by 50%. In the child cares my kids attended, one week meant one week for both kids.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

I read through this post twice and I still don't understand.

So, I can see why they are confused.

Tags
discounts, paid vacations, unpaid vacation, vacation paid, vacation pay, vacation payment, vacation policy