Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do Your School Age Kids Get To Your House?
missheather 03:40 PM 09-25-2013
Hello,

I am STILL in the process of opening a small family day care. I was wondering how your school age children get to your day care?
Do you pick them up from school?
Do they ride the bus?
Do they walk from bus stop or do you pick up from bus stop?

I am personally thinking of not doing School age children as I do not have a large enough vehicle that I could pick-up them up with (plus school gets out right during nap time). The bus does drop kids off in my neighborhood but it is about 1,000 feet from my home (down the street and around a corner) PLUS my street is pretty busy and there are no sidewalks.

BUT I would love to hear what everyone else does.

Thanks
Play Care 03:42 PM 09-25-2013
The bus drops them off at the bottom of my driveway
Otherwise I would not do school aged care. And to be honest, I would love not to anyway.
Memc2001 04:00 PM 09-25-2013
I arranged with the school to have them dropped off at my driveway. We are a small district, so it wasn't much of an issue. I will not be doing school age next year. Too many older kids want in my daughter's room.
mom2many 04:32 PM 09-25-2013
When my own kids were in elementary, I would walk over and pick up kids. When my youngest was going to be going into Jr High, they closed down that school and now the nearest one is a mile away and too far too walk.

I used to have a Suburban and was able to drive kids to and from school, but now have a Tahoe with only 6 seats (4 usable seats for daycare kids), so I rely on having my husband here to watch the younger ones, while I do drop off and pick up.

It used to take me forever to get all of the little ones into my suburban and it was difficult because it was during nap time, when they had early days. I am grateful to have my hubby's help now!

Unfortunately they have no buses for kids in our area.
missheather 08:01 AM 09-26-2013
Thank you everyone! I appreciate your answers. I am leaning toward not offering SA care. The only way I would do it is if I can find a helper willing to pick up or walk the kids to our house... even then I would only be able to pay them for 1 hour of there time daily... we will see what happens!
Thanks again
Tags:transportation
Reply Up