Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When parents question your policies...
finsup 05:38 AM 11-11-2014
So I'm having some "issues" with a daycare family and they need to be nipped in the bud, NOW.
First problem, not letting me know their schedule. They get their schedules Friday and I'm not knowing what days/times etc until Monday-Tuesday. They work retail, they don't have the same schedule every week. I knew that going in and would accommodate (never again but that's beside the point) as long as they told me as soon as they know what days/times they need. That is not happening. I have told them that this is not acceptable, and schedules need to be given when you get them.
Then, payments. Payments here are made the first day of your week. The rule is "no pay, no stay." Well, they had half the money and the other half I would get at the end of the day. That's not how things work. I allowed it for today because I've had them for 5 months with no payment issues what so ever, but, I did make very clear that this was not to happen again. Both were apologetic at least. Did try to make me feel guilty about it though.
...Anyways, so they def. are giving the attitude "why does it matter if we pay in the morning or the afternoon?" or "why does it matter if I don't tell you my days/hours until we think of it?" I know these questions are coming this evening. Basically my answer is "because it's my business and that's how I want to run it." Is that good enough? Does anyone have any good wording for something like that? *sigh*
Laurel 05:45 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by finsup:
So I'm having some "issues" with a daycare family and they need to be nipped in the bud, NOW.
First problem, not letting me know their schedule. They get their schedules Friday and I'm not knowing what days/times etc until Monday-Tuesday. They work retail, they don't have the same schedule every week. I knew that going in and would accommodate (never again but that's beside the point) as long as they told me as soon as they know what days/times they need. That is not happening. I have told them that this is not acceptable, and schedules need to be given when you get them.
Then, payments. Payments here are made the first day of your week. The rule is "no pay, no stay." Well, they had half the money and the other half I would get at the end of the day. That's not how things work. I allowed it for today because I've had them for 5 months with no payment issues what so ever, but, I did make very clear that this was not to happen again. Both were apologetic at least. Did try to make me feel guilty about it though.
...Anyways, so they def. are giving the attitude "why does it matter if we pay in the morning or the afternoon?" or "why does it matter if I don't tell you my days/hours until we think of it?" I know these questions are coming this evening. Basically my answer is "because it's my business and that's how I want to run it." Is that good enough? Does anyone have any good wording for something like that? *sigh*
"Because payment is due at the beginning of the day. Would it be easier for you to pay me the Friday before instead?"

"Because I need your schedule as soon as you get it so I can plan. Is this going to be a problem?" (I'd make them squirm)

Laurel
finsup 05:52 AM 11-11-2014
Perfect! I def. need to turn this back around on them
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 11-11-2014
If they want to submit their schedule later than when it's due, charge them drop in rates.

Once you charge them drop in rates once, they will never forget to submit a written schedule again...I used to do this and never ever had a repeat offender. Funny how being charged 1.5x's more per day helps them suddenly have impeccable memory skills.

As for the payment issue...just enforce your policies and any time they question you, just tell them you don't need to explain your policies. You only need to enforce what THEY agreed to when they enrolled.

Sometimes, we HAVE to take the lead and show parents how we want them to behave. It's hard at times but so worth it.
finsup 06:14 AM 11-11-2014
Oh if it continues to become an issue, I'm so doing that! Drop-in rates are considerably higher and I know they already think they're paying too much
Being assertive doesn't always come easily to me, and although I've become more so lately I haven't had to do it enough where I really feel comfortable with it yet. That's part of why I like to have statements in my head before conversations happen, easier then coming up with things on the spot. I think they need a bit of a refresher on who is in charge and that they are replaceable !
Thriftylady 06:19 AM 11-11-2014
I agree with the drop in rates, and suggest they take a pick of the schedule with the phone and text it to you, that way they don't even have to write it down. Some people are just that lazy. As far as the payment, don't accept that again, give them the line "the contract states XX with a late fee of XX, if it is not paid on time I will have to charge you the late fee".
Cradle2crayons 06:20 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If they want to submit their schedule later than when it's due, charge them drop in rates.

Once you charge them drop in rates once, they will never forget to submit a written schedule again...I used to do this and never ever had a repeat offender. Funny how being charged 1.5x's more per day helps them suddenly have impeccable memory skills.

As for the payment issue...just enforce your policies and any time they question you, just tell them you don't need to explain your policies. You only need to enforce what THEY agreed to when they enrolled.

Sometimes, we HAVE to take the lead and show parents how we want them to behave. It's hard at times but so worth it.
Because I provide services for contracted care ONLY, schedules are very important here also.

Here is my policy... "Schedules for the following week are to be submitted by the end of care on Friday. If schedules aren't submitted on Friday, I will not accept drop off on Monday morning. No exceptions."

And yes, I've refused care.

The way to make this work for you is to change your payment policy to Friday afternoon at pick up. If they don't pay and give you their schedule on Friday at pickup you say. "I'm sorry but care for next week will not be provided"
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by finsup:
Oh if it continues to become an issue, I'm so doing that! Drop-in rates are considerably higher and I know they already think they're paying too much
Being assertive doesn't always come easily to me, and although I've become more so lately I haven't had to do it enough where I really feel comfortable with it yet. That's part of why I like to have statements in my head before conversations happen, easier then coming up with things on the spot. I think they need a bit of a refresher on who is in charge and that they are replaceable !
I agree!

Sounds like it might be a good idea to offer them two different scenarios and let them pick which option is best for them. Of course both scenarios work in your favor but giving parents the choice sometimes makes a huge difference as if there is any issues going forward, you can always remind them THEY chose the option that worked best for them and therefore MUST aide by their choice. It's just a nice way to put it back on them and still get what you need/want.

Something like:

DCP

It's become obvious that you are having difficulty scheduling your child and/or submitting your weekly schedule by Friday for the upcoming week and making timely payments as agreed upon when you enrolled in my program.

In order to be more conducive to your needs, I would like to offer you two different options for scheduling and payments and allow you to choose which option works best for you.

Option #1

Schedules for the upcoming week are due NO LATER than Friday at 5PM WITH payment in FULL for the time you reserve.

Option #2

Attend as a "Drop-in" and let me know the days/times you need as they arise. Of course, drop in children are not guaranteed space so you would need to call and check for availability of the days/times you need as I do have other drop in children that occasionally need services.

Attending as "Drop-in" also requires payment prior to services being rendered however payment can be made the morning of the scheduled day rather than all at once the Friday prior.

Please let me know which option works best for you and I will invoice/schedule accordingly.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely Provider

finsup 07:51 AM 11-11-2014
Thank you all! These are great suggestions! It's nice to talk to others who "get it"
daycare 08:36 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

THis is exactly what I used to do years ago when I allowed this type of schedule.

first off what does your contract say?

I would go off of that and need be make changes if necessary.

I used to require all schedules no later than 5pm friday closing. If I did not get it, then you were #1 not guaranteed those days needed. #2. you were charged a drop in rate which is $10.00 more a day.

I would also make certain that they pay when payment is due. I have mine set up so that they pay every friday by closing for the next week. if they don't pay it friday night by 5, then there is a $50.00 late fee that will be due first thing monday morning. If they don't have it monday morning, they can't stay and at that point I would require cash payment. I need to know that the check cleared over the weekend and payment is there for the next week, so it would have to be cash monday with late fee...
finsup 09:52 AM 11-11-2014
My contract says schedules need to be given the week before care. There's a few updates that I'm making for the 2015 year and that is so getting changed to an exact date. Kicking myself for not doing that in the first place...oh well, live and learn I suppose!
Got a message from them a little while ago trying to change the schedule AGAIN. Needless to say that got a big NO. I'm just making them all sorts of happy today! lol
e.j. 11:08 AM 11-11-2014
I don't accept families with rotating schedules unless they're willing to pay for each day they may need. For example, if a family needs Monday, Wednesday, Friday one week and Tuesday, Thursday, Friday the following week, they would have to pay Monday thru Friday to keep those slots open and available to them. They could use their contracted time (or not) as they saw fit.

If I did take families with rotating schedules and they didn't get their schedules in to me on time, though, I would either charge a higher drop-in rate or I would just go about filling my open slots as I could with other kids. I would be willing to bet that the first time they heard, "I'm so sorry but since I didn't have your schedule and didn't know you needed care for Wednesday, I've already filled my slots for that day. This is why I require you to give me your schedule the week prior to needed care.".... they would remember to give you their schedule ahead of time from then on!

Also, I don't mind explaining to parents why I put certain policies in place so I would probably just explain that I ask for payment prior to service because once I render services (child care) and a parent decides not to pay me or only pays me half of what they owe me, I can't get that time back and not offer it. It's just an assurance for me that I will be paid for services rendered.
Reply Up