Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ahh! Why Did I Say This?
Core12 04:06 AM 03-18-2019
I don’t like going against my word. However, one of my parents caught me off guard by saying she was pregnant. She said she would pay to hold a spot until February 2020. I immediately said, “oh no, u don’t have to do that!” I did however say that in 2020 we were raising the prices for new babies but didn’t give a price.
Now, I have another new family who can start in Aug 2019, for more money. So, basically if I hold this spot for my current parent, it will be 6 months of lost income!!!
Should I go against my word and take her up on holding the spot for 6 months?! Just seems like a lot of money for them! But this is a business. Just wish I wasn’t so quick to answer!
Josiegirl 04:17 AM 03-18-2019
'After rethinking the situation from a business standpoint, I do need to require a holding fee for the spot.'
Then tell her you have an opportunity to take an infant in August and decide how much you need from her, if she'll need to pay for the spot when there's one available, or whatever you decide. You're right about the business. As much as we'd love to please and help out(most) parents, making money is also what keeps our doors open. Don't feel bad, I bet we all say things before we think and regret it later.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 03-18-2019
Why not just tell the parent no one else was interested so therefore you offered to hold the spot for free but now someone else IS interested and you have no option but to require payment.

Things change. Nothing wrong with doing something and then having directions change.

PLENTY of time for parent to manage this as Feb 2020 is a long ways out.
AmyKidsCo 01:20 PM 03-19-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why not just tell the parent no one else was interested so therefore you offered to hold the spot for free but now someone else IS interested and you have no option but to require payment.

Things change. Nothing wrong with doing something and then having directions change.

PLENTY of time for parent to manage this as Feb 2020 is a long ways out.
That's what I do. I tell parents that my policies state they must pay to hold the spot, but I'll waive the fee unless another family becomes interested in the position. Then the first family can decide if they want to pay or look for alternative care.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up