Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Teacher, Loves Job, Needs Help
MissLiz 06:15 AM 03-15-2009
Hi everybody! First things first, I am in my early 20's and teach toddlers, some two and some three year olds. This is my first year as a teacher, I have nine little friends in my room, but some days it seems like 90! I love my job, and recently was awarded a scholarship to finish my teaching certificate in early childhood. Here is my concern, my room is out of control. I have had 3 different assistants since August, and just recently got a new one, and she is great! But my kids are out of control, and my director has had enough, and is concerned, as so am I. I have had several different substitutes / floaters to help, and we have lost our routine and schedule. When it's time for nap they won't nap, and run around the room, the few that lay on their cots want me to pat them, and I can't because I'm having to work with those running in the room. I have a circle time, and the children won't stay seated long enough to get through a 5 page story. I have tried re-direction, positive re-inforcement, and now time out, but they won't stay there. I love my children and my families, and so desperately want this to work. I know next year will be a better year, because I can start fresh, and I have heard your first year is your hardest. Several of my friends say it's not my fault, I have had too many changes, and not enough help? How can I get my classroom back? Thanks!
Unregistered 05:46 AM 03-23-2009
I am not a professional, but I do have 4 girls of my own, one with ADHD...so I know the challanges.....one thing I have been doing around here is I created a stop light chart....using red, yellow, and green (each child has their own stop light)....if they are not being good, they go on yellow...as a warning (I like the warning because kids will act up and need reminders)...if they continue to not listen, they go on red and red means time out....or maybe in your case the loss of play time.

As a positive reward for their good behavior, maybe you could get a basket and fill it with little toys (cheaper toys work just great)...the children that do not get on red at all at the end of the week will get to pick a little prize from the basket. Some kids need something to look forward to for good behavior.

I know it's tough, I have been there with my own kids...hang in there and keep trying new things.
mrs.meg 09:29 AM 03-26-2009
I am not a professional, either. I have 4 girls of my own and I babysit 2 boys. I have 3 toddlers at home with me while my others are in school, and it took a long time for me to get them disciplined enough to sit through stories. I started out with picture books, showing them the pictures and having them tell me what they are. Then after they sit through the stories, we sing a couple of songs, they LOVE that. It took a long time to get them to sit there and now they enjoy it.

I worked in pediatrics for years and I have found that most people in this day and age do not discipline their children at home. Parents have a VERY hard time telling their children NO, so then it makes the child care providers job very difficult. I am not mean to the children, but I HAVE to use a very firm voice and be very serious about their behavior. You have to be the boss, if they feel for a second that they are in control, they with run with it. The boys I watch tell their parents what to do, but the parents do not even have a clue, they do not discipline until their behavior is life-threatening or completely atrocious. I talk to the children about respect and being disrespectful, what it means to be an adult and what it means to be a child. They do not understand their role at home, so they were confused at my house for a long time. It has just gotten to the point that I am actually starting to not dread every day of my life, I guess it helps that the 4 year old went to preschool and is not here all the time because he was very difficult. All I can say is that you have to be consistent and try to earn their respect by being serious about right and wrong behavior. Good luck!
Ms.Sue 04:21 PM 03-26-2009
Okay - I can honestly say I AM A PROFESSIONAL ---
I have found that most people in this day and age do not discipline their children at home. Parents have a VERY hard time telling their children NO, so then it makes the child care providers job very difficult.

100% CORRECT! I own and operate a child care center - and believe me - there is NO discipline at home - it is unbelievable!! I have also raised my own children - and they are wonderful young men!!! But we were very firm and strict with them and followed through on punishments.......

Now, yes, we do have families that have great, well behaved children - but they also put in alot of time and effort. Most just don't.

You need to get control of your room --- As this person stated " be very firm, use a firm voice, !! If they are running around ignoring you, get ahold of them and sternly speak to them and have them lay down, don't accept 'no' ---you are only harming the children if you let them run wild !! Too many of our kids - run wild with their parents - but are perfect at daycare - and the parents of 3 and 4 year olds want to MEDICATE them --- because of their behavior!!!!!!! If that's not abuse - I don't know what is!!! It's really getting out of hand.

If you are not in control then the children will not feel safe - because 'no one' IS in control. They need it.
Unregistered 12:28 PM 06-24-2009
I worked in a toddler room as well. It's a challenging, but rewarding job. I think it's a matter of getting the routine under control and back on track. Once the little guys/gals know what is expected again, it should flow more smoothly.

It sounds like rest time is the biggest issue at this time. I would begin by doing wash -up as a group after lunch, books by their cots. Have all the cots up and ready by the time lunch is done. Have an aide or assistant do diapers while the little ones transition and have another(if possible) read to them or sing quiet songs--but ONLY if they sit on thier cots.

Then sit by two at a time and rub their backs. Position their cots around you and your helper(s) so the kids know they have your attention. That should help the caos a bit. Maybe have one helper rock the younger ones that require that one at a time as you rub backs. Again, a back rub is a reward for sitting on thier cots.

Just start by getting one to rest at a time and the others to know that you are there and love them, too.

Hope some of this is helpful and hang in there!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 04:35 AM 06-25-2009
I just want to say KUDOS to Miss Sue,.... hit the nail on the head. Ive owned my own center, and have 4 kids, for the past 19 years Ive been a lic family provider. You have to have your rules, go in monday with a routine, stick to it, Im sorry Billy but it is circle time and you need to be still, we will run around outside in a little while. We use our manners at school and that means you will be nice to me.
Maybe first thing take them out and get them moving,.(the may have had sugary snacks or food before coming in and cant be still).. for a few days to burn some energy. Then come in and do a sit down thing. I promise, if you keep things short,... fun,... exciting and moving,.. they will come around. But when you let them run things, its a different story. There is a difference between a child centered program, and a child run loose program. Good luck! fingers crossed for you.
Unregistered 09:33 AM 06-25-2009
I had a similar situation with 2 year olds in my first classroom just over 12 years ago. They would run around wild at nap and it was really out of control. I think they were feeding off my inexperience and used to getting away with it due to a lot of turnover. Ms. Sue is right. I find when I get new children enrolled in my program who think "anything goes", I have to be very firm...even strict for awhile until they understand what is expected. Especially at naptime. Sinse most of your class is like this you may have to go into drill seargent mode for awhile, rewarding those who obey and not only expecting but demanding proper behavior from all. This may sound harsh, but it is necessary for little ones to know who is in charge so they feel safe and loved. Once a routine is established and they know who's boss, you can mellow out a little. But remember, kids are always ready and waiting to test you to see if you will hold strong or give-in. BE STRONG... YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Dont worry about them not liking you if you are "mean" or in other words "in charge"...they will like you. They will love you because your heart is in the right place.
Unregistered 11:28 AM 07-23-2009
I notice that you have had too many substitutes. their are two many workshops out their, so there is no reason why your children are out of control. you have a great start for your business. if on way does not work try other's don't give up. i have been work my day care in my home for eleven years and i never had my children out of control. some times we don't want to used the hard voice ( not yelling) but with these kids we have to. to gain control of the children and not the children control us. if you are going to get others to help you they must know how to handle children. may be you are too easy with them. but please don't give up you will have some good experience and some bad. enroll in to classes and attend workshop. if not you will give this up because it will burn you out. need to talk on a one on one email me at kcbishop6@aol.com. I have been working with children for over thirteen years, I have two children of my own one is special needs. I have attend workshops attend school take online course, and I am still working with children, and i am going to attend school to become a social worker for special needs children. if this is your passion you will attend and find out all that is dealing with children and attend school.
Originally Posted by MissLiz:
Hi everybody! First things first, I am in my early 20's and teach toddlers, some two and some three year olds. This is my first year as a teacher, I have nine little friends in my room, but some days it seems like 90! I love my job, and recently was awarded a scholarship to finish my teaching certificate in early childhood. Here is my concern, my room is out of control. I have had 3 different assistants since August, and just recently got a new one, and she is great! But my kids are out of control, and my director has had enough, and is concerned, as so am I. I have had several different substitutes / floaters to help, and we have lost our routine and schedule. When it's time for nap they won't nap, and run around the room, the few that lay on their cots want me to pat them, and I can't because I'm having to work with those running in the room. I have a circle time, and the children won't stay seated long enough to get through a 5 page story. I have tried re-direction, positive re-inforcement, and now time out, but they won't stay there. I love my children and my families, and so desperately want this to work. I know next year will be a better year, because I can start fresh, and I have heard your first year is your hardest. Several of my friends say it's not my fault, I have had too many changes, and not enough help? How can I get my classroom back? Thanks!

Tags:controlling classroom, overwhelmed, rules, staying positive
Reply Up