Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCF at 10pm
BabyMonkeys 09:50 AM 07-16-2014
I started a new little 6 month old little girl on Monday. Everything seemed ok to me. She didn't come yesterday because her dad had the day off. Last night my phone rings at 9:45 and I send it to voice mail. When I listen to the message it is from a DCF investigator needing to talk to me about the little girl. I freaked out thinking that something must have happened to the baby and they were blaming me. Thankfully the woman answered the phone when I called back. She told me that they were investigating the family, but could not give me any details. She assured me that I had done nothing wrong, and if I was in the childcare business long, I would get used to these calls. Today the little girl doesn't come again. Her mom texts me to let me know she will be here tomorrow.

I'm kinda freaked out about accepting her back. I have no idea what the allegation actually was, but I'm sure if they are calling me at 10pm it's not a routine investigation. The parents paid for a full week on Monday. What would you guys do? I've only been in business since the beginning of the year. The last thing I need is some new family bringing DCF to my door! I've been incredibly lucky that both of my current babies have amazing parents.
lovemykidstoo 09:55 AM 07-16-2014
I think this sounds rather suspect. What did the woman ask you? How do you know she was who she said she was? Is it normal for someone like that to call that late at night? Makes me wonder what really is going on.
BabyMonkeys 09:59 AM 07-16-2014
When I first called back I went to a DCF answering machine saying that they are closed and the hours to contact them. As soon as I hung up the woman called me right back from that number, so I'm pretty sure that it was legit.

She asked me who had dropped the baby off and picked her up. How the baby reacted to being dropped off and picked up. If I saw any injuries, including bruises or scratches. If she had a diaper rash. If she was dressed appropriately and if they provided enough formula, diapers, etc.

I only had the little girl for 10 hours, one day. I have no idea what her life is normally like, but during those 10 hours I saw nothing troubling.
CraftyMom 10:02 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I think this sounds rather suspect. What did the woman ask you? How do you know she was who she said she was? Is it normal for someone like that to call that late at night? Makes me wonder what really is going on.
I'm sketchy about this too. Maybe it's valid, but I don't see why they would call you that late. Maybe it's someone who wants some dirt on dcm, putting on an act to be DCF?

I would be sure that's who you are actually talking to before giving out any info
nannyde 10:03 AM 07-16-2014
Tell the mom they called and ask why.
BabyMonkeys 10:04 AM 07-16-2014
I asked the mom this morning if everything was ok with the baby and she told me that there had been a false allegation when the baby was a couple of months old, which DCF never substantiated, and they were just talking to other adults that had been around the baby so that they could clear them and let them get on with their lives.

I might believe that. I have heard that DCF can wreak havoc on a family's life because of a false accusation. It's the 10pm call that makes me think something is not right.
CraftyMom 10:04 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
When I first called back I went to a DCF answering machine saying that they are closed and the hours to contact them. As soon as I hung up the woman called me right back from that number, so I'm pretty sure that it was legit.

She asked me who had dropped the baby off and picked her up. How the baby reacted to being dropped off and picked up. If I saw any injuries, including bruises or scratches. If she had a diaper rash. If she was dressed appropriately and if they provided enough formula, diapers, etc.

I only had the little girl for 10 hours, one day. I have no idea what her life is normally like, but during those 10 hours I saw nothing troubling.
Must have been posting at the same time lol

Was she at a previous daycare? Maybe they reported something
Childminder 10:05 AM 07-16-2014
I would never give info out over the phone about anyone, especially a dcfamily. If they are who they say they are they show up at your door with ID for initial contact.
hope 10:08 AM 07-16-2014
I would look up your local DCP phone number and call it and ask to speak to the person you spoke with last night. Explain to them that you find it odd to get a call at 10pm.
debbiedoeszip 10:15 AM 07-16-2014
I started a new little 6 month old little girl on Monday. Everything seemed ok to me. She didn't come yesterday because her dad had the day off. Last night my phone rings at 9:45 and I send it to voice mail. When I listen to the message it is from a DCF investigator needing to talk to me about the little girl. I freaked out thinking that something must have happened to the baby and they were blaming me. Thankfully the woman answered the phone when I called back. She told me that they were investigating the family, but could not give me any details. She assured me that I had done nothing wrong, and if I was in the childcare business long, I would get used to these calls. Today the little girl doesn't come again. Her mom texts me to let me know she will be here tomorrow.

I'm kinda freaked out about accepting her back. I have no idea what the allegation actually was, but I'm sure if they are calling me at 10pm it's not a routine investigation. The parents paid for a full week on Monday. What would you guys do? I've only been in business since the beginning of the year. The last thing I need is some new family bringing DCF to my door! I've been incredibly lucky that both of my current babies have amazing parents.
In the future, I would tell anyone calling from DCF that you cannot discuss clients over the phone with someone who has not proven their credentials. Invite them to drop by at some convenient time to show you their credentials and that after that you will be happy to cooperate.
coolconfidentme 10:17 AM 07-16-2014
They do come &/or call that late at night in my state, Indiana. I use to be a state police officer & work in the child neglect/abuse division.
lovemykidstoo 10:27 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I would never give info out over the phone about anyone, especially a dcfamily. If they are who they say they are they show up at your door with ID for initial contact.
Yes, definately.
BabyMonkeys 10:34 AM 07-16-2014
I called and confirmed that she is actually with DCF. I didn't speak with her directly, but the receptionist said that the investigators are trying to juggle so many cases that they can't always complete things during normal business hours. It is common practice to contact home daycares after hours because someone will be more likely be able to talk to them, as opposed to a center that is only available during business hours. I guess it does make sense.

Thankfully I didn't have any information to give anyone! I definitely would have refused to answer questions if they was anything at all to tell.
daycarediva 10:49 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
In the future, I would tell anyone calling from DCF that you cannot discuss clients over the phone with someone who has not proven their credentials. Invite them to drop by at some convenient time to show you their credentials and that after that you will be happy to cooperate.
I agree.

Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
They do come &/or call that late at night in my state, Indiana. I use to be a state police officer & work in the child neglect/abuse division.
Here, too... I had one family under investigation in my care and the caseworker would often call me around 8-9pm.
nannyde 10:56 AM 07-16-2014
I asked the mom this morning if everything was ok with the baby and she told me that there had been a false allegation when the baby was a couple of months old, which DCF never substantiated, and they were just talking to other adults that had been around the baby so that they could clear them and let them get on with their lives.

I might believe that. I have heard that DCF can wreak havoc on a family's life because of a false accusation. It's the 10pm call that makes me think something is not right.
Oh bull

They aren't going to call at ten at night to wrap up a case.
My3cents 11:07 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Oh bull

I don't think so either-

never discuss a client over the phone with someone you don't know that has not told you where they are from and shown you credentials.

For future reference- tell anyone that calls this late at night that you would be willing to talk with them in person at such and such a time that is convenient for you and it would not be when I had daycare kids, it would be after hours when my hub or another adult could be present. Too many freaks in this world you have to be careful. UGH!

Mom confirmed that she was under investigation but I would have asked why she didn't tell you this before- kinda important to know this type of stuff- ugh!
Leigh 11:31 AM 07-16-2014
Oh bull

Very true. 10PM calls, to me, would signal that they are trying to remove a child from parents ASAP.
nothingwithoutjoy 01:51 PM 07-16-2014
As far as taking her back, if there is something going on (true or false) your home might be the sanctuary of normalcy and calm. I'd want the child to have that, and if there were no other problems with you and mom, I'd leave it up to them to settle it.

But I'd be pissed she hadn't told you about it upfront.
TwinKristi 01:54 PM 07-16-2014
How did they know you watched her after only 1 day??
LysesKids 02:13 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
That's exactly how I handled it in Indiana in 2004... I keep thinking that if I hadn't been closed for illness, that the poor baby in care wouldn't have almost been killed (she was severly injured by the boyfriend at age 5 months and is now deaf & partially blind).

The Mom & her boyfriend were new to the area and I was the ONLY one that had any info on them whatsoever, so of course when DCF & Cops showed up within an hour of the call, I handed over all the files I had... it was the only time I have closed for illness too. It still breaks my heart, but something like that sticks with you
tehck_1013 02:21 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
How did they know you watched her after only 1 day??
I was wondering the same exact thing...
e.j. 02:40 PM 07-16-2014
Oh bull

Something isn't right. Any call after normal business hours (5 or 6pm) would raise my suspicion but 10:00 pm.....?? Seems awfully late for a non-urgent call.
BabyMonkeys 02:58 PM 07-16-2014
Apparently the mom told DCF that I was her childcare provider. Supplied her with my licensing number and a copy of my contract. She didn't bother to mention the fact that I had been her provider for exactly one day. She didn't bother to let me know that she was under investigation, much less that she had given they my contact information. So Monday she comes, Tuesday she doesn't come and I get the 10pm call, and then she doesn't come again today. Something is seriously off here.

I hadn't thought about the fact that I should want the baby to be with me so that I know she is safe at least those few hours a day.
TwinKristi 03:19 PM 07-16-2014
Perhaps part of the investigation was regarding who cares for the baby?

I do believe someone could potentially call at 10pm. They have people staffed around the clock for emergencies, so if the person on-call that day had to make contact with certain people I could see a call that late. I don't know what kind of response they would get at that hour, but they could document that they called and left a message or whatever to cover their butt. Especially if when the OP called it was the same number and went to the after hours message.
Sugar Magnolia 03:44 PM 07-16-2014
Yes, a 10pm call is odd, but DCF in Florida is notoriously under staffed to a level that can best be described as shocking.

I do think the baby will be safer in daycare.....however......the omission if this extremely important detail (dishonesty) could be a deal breaker for me. I'd be wary that this family is looking for someone else to point the finger at.
hope 04:16 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Yes, a 10pm call is odd, but DCF in Florida is notoriously under staffed to a level that can best be described as shocking.

I do think the baby will be safer in daycare.....however......the omission if this extremely important detail (dishonesty) could be a deal breaker for me. I'd be wary that this family is looking for someone else to point the finger at.
It's sad bc I have to agree with you. We all want what's best for the children but I'm sure so many of us have been burned to know that people are capable of blaming us when things go wrong. I would not trust this mom.
Tags:after hours - phone call, cps, investigator
Reply Up