Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training...How To Let Parents Know What YOU Need From Them
SilverSabre25 05:53 AM 02-15-2011
I have three kids who are ready to be potty trained. At least two are working on it at home; one is showing major readiness signs and dcm has been asking me for potty training tips. I would love to try and have all three completely trained at my house by the time my baby is born at the end of May (I know, I know, wishful thinking, but it's a good time to start, anyway).

The problem is that these kids tend to come dressed in onesies (super annoying for potty training), the girl comes in complicated skirt/tight combos, one boy frequently has pants that are WAY tight to pull up/down, and another frequently wears belts. Ugh...not a good recipe for potty training.

Does anyone have a letter or anything already written that tells parents what YOU need from THEM when it comes to potty training at your house? Plus a tactful way to say, your kid is in diapers here until I say they're ready for undies here?
Unregistered 06:15 AM 02-15-2011
A paragrapgh from the potty training section of my handbook:

To facilitate independent bathroom skills, clothing should be easy to manipulate (pants with elastic waistbands are best). Snap-crotch shirts, overalls, and belts should be avoided during potty training. At least 2 complete changes of clothing are required during toilet training. I do not launder soiled items and will send them home in a plastic bag. Any clothing sent home must be replaced the next day.
Unregistered 06:29 AM 02-15-2011
sorry, I forgot the other paragraph:

For sanitary reasons, diapers/pull-ups/training pants will be required until your child can “hold it” for a couple of minutes. I typically approve underwear once your child has been dry during waking hours for at least 2 weeks straight at my house. Please do not send your child to daycare in regular underwear until I have informed you that it is OK to do so. If you refuse to comply with this request, you will incur a cleaning fee if your child has an accident on the carpets or furniture.
SandeeAR 06:36 AM 02-15-2011
Don't have anything listed in mine but no overalls. I thought the rest would be common sense. But since reading on here, I see I need to update my policies before mine all reach that age. So I will be reading for tips too.

I do know that if after parents were informed of your policy, if they continued to be sent in tight clothes, onesies, etc. I would just strip them down to underwear/diaper/pull up, and the shirt.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Don't have anything listed in mine but no overalls. I thought the rest would be common sense. But since reading on here, I see I need to update my policies before mine all reach that age. So I will be reading for tips too.

I do know that if after parents were informed of your policy, if they continued to be sent in tight clothes, onesies, etc. I would just strip them down to underwear/diaper/pull up, and the shirt.
That's what I do. I let training kids wear nothing but the training pants and a shirt. Socks too if they want. I add clothing back once they master toileting.
cillybean83 07:57 AM 02-15-2011
my oldest lived in sweatpants during potty training, and we didn't get pullups, we got cloth training pants, he learned quick that being wet and poopy was "UCK" and he wanted to use the potty FAST! lol
jessrlee 07:59 AM 02-15-2011
I ask that parents dress potty trainers in sweat pants, or strechy leggings. I ask that they provide me with three full sets including socks and underwear. (I always tell them to just hit the garranimals table at walmart) I also ask that the parents start the training the weekend before, so the child will know what to expect.
kitkat 09:29 AM 02-15-2011
From my handbook:
Potty Training
I will work with you when you have decided it is time to potty train your child. Please avoid sending your child in clothes that are difficult for them to remove, such as onsies, overalls, buttons, tights. Children must remain in diapers/pull ups in my home until they have been accident free for 2 weeks. A child will be considered potty trained when he/she can independently go to the bathroom without needing reminders and has been accident free for 2 weeks at my home.

I also send a note home when the parent and I have talked about training stating how potty training will be done at my house (what our routine is for training) and a reminder to have the children wear easy to remove clothing.

I hope you are able to have all 3 trained before your baby arrives! Dcg was potty training, so I decided to try DD and see if I could get both trained before my baby arrives. Dcg is pretty much there. DD, not so much, BUT she's not quite 2.5 yet (dcg is almost 3). DD is one of those stubborn, I'll do it when I'm good and ready kind of kids She won't be trained before the baby is born, but at least we started and she consistently poops on the toilet.
Tags:parents - help potty training, potty training
Reply Up