Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where'd This Come From?
trytobearunner34 06:00 AM 11-30-2018
DCB 18 months has come back from the break a different kid. When he left for the break he was pleasant 95% of the time. Since returning he is unpleasant 50% of the time or more. At first I thought it was being off schedule but after 5 days back on schedule there is not a ton of improvement and there is a new behavior that seems out of the blue.

My kids are happy shriekers (this little boy included). When they play they often squeal or shriek with joy. All of the sudden this morning when someone else shrieks he becomes hysterical. Throwing himself on the ground and crying for anywhere from 1-5 minutes. Any thoughts as to what brought this on or how I can help him work through it?
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 11-30-2018
Originally Posted by trytobearunner34:
DCB 18 months has come back from the break a different kid. When he left for the break he was pleasant 95% of the time. Since returning he is unpleasant 50% of the time or more. At first I thought it was being off schedule but after 5 days back on schedule there is not a ton of improvement and there is a new behavior that seems out of the blue.

My kids are happy shriekers (this little boy included). When they play they often squeal or shriek with joy. All of the sudden this morning when someone else shrieks he becomes hysterical. Throwing himself on the ground and crying for anywhere from 1-5 minutes. Any thoughts as to what brought this on or how I can help him work through it?
I think kids just have "off" weeks just as they do days

In my experience it seems to be when the child is either coming down with something or they are fighting something off. It's usually cured by consistent routine and lots of good sleep.

I've had kids have a tough week or two and be emotional and non-compliant with everything...polar opposite from normal behavior and then pop right back into their normal disposition like nothing ever happened.

I don't worry unless its been a month or more.
trytobearunner34 06:35 AM 11-30-2018
Thanks, Black Cat! You are probably right. I have watched this little boy since he was 2 months old and the seemingly radical change in behavior just took me so off guard. It is likely just a a phase or teeth or coming down with something. Thank you for taking the time to respond!
littlefriends 07:39 AM 11-30-2018
Same thing happened with one of my twos, he had a two week streak of just terrible behavior-crying fits for no reason out of nowhere, super grouchy, and mean towards the others. It got to where I was starting to think I might have to term because I couldn’t take it anymore! When they came back from break mom told me he’d gotten three teeth in!! He’s been back to perfectly normal since, thankfully!
Reply Up