Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New 4 Month Old
daycare123 01:30 PM 02-13-2013
Yesterday i started a new 4 month old baby. Yesterday he napped for 2.5 hours in a rocking chair for babies as he wouldn't go down in the playpen. Then yesterday afternoon a half hour nap same place. Today i finally got him to nap in the playpen for 35 minutes and 30 minutes in the chair. The kid won't take a pacifier and has really bad eczema. He is constantly making some sort of weird noise. He also eats every two hours roughly 5-6 oz. Question is how do i get him to nap in the playpen? Do you suppose he has a milk allergy with the eczema? Mom said the daycare where he was before she had a playpen in the living room that he slept in. Help!!
Willow 02:38 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycare123:
Yesterday i started a new 4 month old baby. Yesterday he napped for 2.5 hours in a rocking chair for babies as he wouldn't go down in the playpen. Then yesterday afternoon a half hour nap same place. Today i finally got him to nap in the playpen for 35 minutes and 30 minutes in the chair. The kid won't take a pacifier and has really bad eczema. He is constantly making some sort of weird noise. He also eats every two hours roughly 5-6 oz. Question is how do i get him to nap in the playpen? Do you suppose he has a milk allergy with the eczema? Mom said the daycare where he was before she had a playpen in the living room that he slept in. Help!!
I wouldn't let a baby sleep in any sort of chair. Safe sleep practice means in a playpen or crib, put down on their backs, on nothing but a secured crib sheet with nothing else in the space. Stinks but you'll just have to wait that one out. Lay baby down in the playpen or crib on their back only. You can try white noise machines or even a radio if he's used to the noise of a bustling living room.

If he doesn't want or take a pacifier at four months it's not his thing and that's ok.

There is no clear cut cause of eczema. Could be temperature, stress, detergents, types of fabric, exposure to animals etc. etc. I wouldn't be so quick to try to pinpoint formula at this point because there are so many things that could be causing it and contributing to the severity. As long as he's seen a doctor for it and is being treated when flare ups are bad there's not much more you can do.

Sounds like he's eating great for being 4 months old!

When you say he makes weird noises what exactly do you mean?
daycaremom76 02:50 PM 02-13-2013
I had a similar issue with one of the infants I had and ended up buying a co-sleeper off Craigslist, the one I bought is below. The padding in it is a little more comfortable like a regular crib. You might just need to let him cry it out a little until he gets used to it.

http://www.albeebaby.com/arremicoint...paign=shopping
cheerfuldom 02:56 PM 02-13-2013
why did the previous daycare let him go?
countrymom 02:59 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
why did the previous daycare let him go?
this, I wonder if there is something mom didn't say
daycare123 05:45 PM 02-13-2013
It's one of those infant to toddler rockers that reclines. Mom pulled him from previous daycare cause there was some incident that the baby got hurt. Baby did have scratches on his head. The lady had 11 children in her care at the time. Some sort of neglect on the providers part.
Willow 06:33 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycare123:
It's one of those infant to toddler rockers that reclines. Mom pulled him from previous daycare cause there was some incident that the baby got hurt. Baby did have scratches on his head. The lady had 11 children in her care at the time. Some sort of neglect on the providers part.
Ugh, that's too bad....so glad to hear she got him out of there. Hopefully he'll do much better in your care now

I'm wondering if you're licensed? Reason I ask is it wouldn't be ok to let an infant sleep in any sort of chair (or rocker, or swing), at least per regulations here. If you're curious try researching a bit on positional asphyxiation to learn a bit more on why it could be dangerous, especially for bitty infants like your little guy. Even though it might be easier to get him down in a rocker it'll be far better for him if you can help him get sleeping well flat on his back in his playpen.
MNMommy2 09:19 PM 02-13-2013
I recently started a new (PT, 4 month old) infant, as well. The first couple of days I did wonder what in the world I was thinking. I have a very high maintenance 14 month of my own, and the new baby cried all day.

It only took another week, he happened to be here 4 days that week, and now he is a dream. I put him in one of my darker rooms and put on a white noise machine. Now, he fusses when he is tired, I lay him in the pnp, turn on the machine and he puts himself to sleep in about 2 minutes. He even naps in the afternoon when all the other kids do. And when he is awake he is such a sweetheart now that he is getting rest here.

Have you tried a white noise machine? My dd did not like it, but for this baby it has been a godsend.
coolconfidentme 04:56 AM 02-14-2013
I started a 3 month old & thought the same thing. He is is a dream baby too now. It only took a week or two of a routine here. Mom is super please with him sleeping more at night now too!
Reply Up