Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Before/After school pickups
Unregistered 08:46 AM 08-11-2015
I have a licensed home daycare. I also drive a full size van labeled "Home childcare". This year one of my DCKs will be going to kindergarten at a school I have not picked up at before. I contact administration to find out procedure and was told only KinderCare can pickup in the bus lane. They will require me and the 7 other children in my care, to park and come in the school to pickup the child just like parents do. I feel this is discrimination. I have a licensed home daycare with a clearly marked vehicle. I pickup at two other local school who have me drive up in the bus lane. I cannot take all 7 little ones out to pickup this child; logistically its not possible. Because of their policy I will not be able to continue care for this child. I am upset! Am I wrong, or are they wrong to give preference to center based childcare?
Thriftylady 08:54 AM 08-11-2015
Who did you talk to? Is there someone higher up you can talk to? Offer to give them a copy of your license and such if they need it. Don't take the first no lol.

ETA: Let them know you are doing this at other schools and if they are in the same district let them know that also.
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a licensed home daycare. I also drive a full size van labeled "Home childcare". This year one of my DCKs will be going to kindergarten at a school I have not picked up at before. I contact administration to find out procedure and was told only KinderCare can pickup in the bus lane. They will require me and the 7 other children in my care, to park and come in the school to pickup the child just like parents do. I feel this is discrimination. I have a licensed home daycare with a clearly marked vehicle. I pickup at two other local school who have me drive up in the bus lane. I cannot take all 7 little ones out to pickup this child; logistically its not possible. Because of their policy I will not be able to continue care for this child. I am upset! Am I wrong, or are they wrong to give preference to center based childcare?
It's their rule. It's not discrimination.

Anyone can put magnetic signs on their vehicle and claim to be something they aren't. NOT saying you are but I would imagine picking up ONE child is the issue whereas the larger center probably picks up multiple children.

Kind of like a car pool lane....a certain number of pick ups/people would be required to meet the rule.

If they allow you to do it, what would be their reason to not allow a parent to use the bus lane then too?
Unregistered 09:53 AM 08-11-2015
There are 4 districts in my town, so all school I pickup at are different. I have offered to supply a copy of my license. I am speaking with the district office now. They tell me they have "sitters" pickup like parents. I have explained the difference, but I don't think she cared to hear it. I am trying to advocate for this child... she is apprehensive about starting school and wants to know at the end of the day I will pick her up and bring her back to play with her daycare friends. Not a huge request, IMO.
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 08-11-2015
There are 4 districts in my town, so all school I pickup at are different. I have offered to supply a copy of my license. I am speaking with the district office now. They tell me they have "sitters" pickup like parents. I have explained the difference, but I don't think she cared to hear it. I am trying to advocate for this child... she is apprehensive about starting school and wants to know at the end of the day I will pick her up and bring her back to play with her daycare friends. Not a huge request, IMO.
You are viewing your individual request as not a huge deal. Imagine every parent requesting to be the exception to the rule. For the district it IS a huge request.

I understand the child is apprehensive about starting school but aren't all Kindergarten's?
Thriftylady 10:02 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You are viewing your individual request as not a huge deal. Imagine every parent requesting to be the exception to the rule. For the district it IS a huge request.

I understand the child is apprehensive about starting school but aren't all Kindergarten's?
I agree with you. I am saying it doesn't hurt to try to ask the right person, but if it is still no after that then not much you can do. Perhaps the parents have a friend or family member who can just do the drop off and pick up for them. Or could the child go to a different district of one of the kids you already have that you are dropping off and picking up.
Play Care 10:03 AM 08-11-2015
I see both sides.

Ultimately I'd have to tell the parents I could not accommodate a pick up request due to the school's policy.
MarinaVanessa 10:09 AM 08-11-2015
It's not discrimination. The school can have whatever drop-off and pick-up rules they want. All you can do is request that the school allow you to park in the bus lane, if they say no then you can go to the board.

I was lucky enough to be allowed to use the bus loading and unloading area but for kindergarteners I was still required to personally get out of my van and go to the classroom to get a client's child (all centers have to pick up the kindergarteners up like this). That wouldn't work for me so I just told the parents that I wouldn't be able to pick their child up and they would have to figure something out or find alternate care. My clients were able to talk to the school and get it worked out so that their daughter could walk out to the loading area and meet me on her own.

Maybe having your clients talk to the school as well will help. Otherwise you'll have to either be willing to get down and take all of the kids out also or tell the parents that they'll have to figure out a way to have their child dropped off at your house or they'll have to find alternate care with someone that's willing to get down to get their child.
Unregistered 07:31 PM 08-11-2015
Is it possible for the child to switch to one of the other schools in the district that you can pick up easier at?
Unregistered 08:30 PM 08-11-2015
I guess the big issue for me is that it was a big surprise to me they would not have me pickup in the bus lane. I have been doing it for years at other schools in town. I see the point about the number of students being picked up, but that was not the problem according to the admin. She said they only allowed buses and vans from childcare centers that are identifiable. My full size van is marked (not just a magnetic poster). She made it sound like parents would see a minivan in the bus lane and think they could use it too.
The idea of schools in my area giving preference to centers is not new... when calling area schools to be put on the daycare list they only gave parents information for daycare centers. Many home providers had to get together and talk with the schools before they allowed all licensed care providers on the daycare list. (This was several years ago.)
Unregistered 08:32 PM 08-11-2015
Also, I am sad to discontinue care for this child. She is a good kid and a friend to my daughter.
Unregistered 08:34 PM 08-11-2015
Switching her to another school isn't really an option. Due to the taxes a parent would have to pay full cost to educate and it was around $13,000 for a year. I had a family ask before because they lived in an area with under performing schools.
Thanks for the thought though!
childcaremom 02:02 AM 08-12-2015
I guess the big issue for me is that it was a big surprise to me they would not have me pickup in the bus lane. I have been doing it for years at other schools in town. I see the point about the number of students being picked up, but that was not the problem according to the admin. She said they only allowed buses and vans from childcare centers that are identifiable. My full size van is marked (not just a magnetic poster). She made it sound like parents would see a minivan in the bus lane and think they could use it too.
The idea of schools in my area giving preference to centers is not new... when calling area schools to be put on the daycare list they only gave parents information for daycare centers. Many home providers had to get together and talk with the schools before they allowed all licensed care providers on the daycare list. (This was several years ago.)
I would continue talking to the school about it. In the meantime, I would do as MV suggested and talk to the parents, let them know about the situation as it currently stands, and see if they have any ideas. Maybe some pressure from the parents will help change the school's mind?
DaisyMamma 04:57 AM 08-13-2015
I agree that it's discrimination. You're not a babysitter.
Maybe reword how you ask a higher up... "I'm calling from a local licensed daycare trying to find out the procedure for pickup in the bus lane."
heyhun77 05:23 AM 08-13-2015
I would also talk with the parents. Is it possible that they know another family who goes to that school (doesn't need to be another in K) that picks up and they could bring the child out to you each day? Or do you have someone who is licensed to be a helper for you that could ride with you and go inside or stay in the car with the other kids? Maybe you could find a neighbor who would be willing to do this with you each day and get them licensed to be with the kids for this purpose. it's always nice to have backups/subs already done with paperwork for later anyway.
Silly Songs 05:47 AM 08-13-2015
Is there a carpool pick up area ?
Reply Up