Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School-Age Kids
Unregistered 10:25 AM 02-22-2021
Logged out for privacy.

I've got several kids around the same age, so I will be losing them around the same time to KG. I took a school ager last year, and it was just not a good fit for my group. It made me realize that once they hit elementary school, they've outgrown my program. I've decided that I will only continue care for school age kids if they have a younger sibling enrolled.

I'll be losing 2 this year. One will not be receiving care from me anymore as she has no siblings in care. The other one has a younger sibling in care, so I will continue care for him if mom wants to pay for it. Of course, she's going to have to pay the full rate if she wants him to have a spot - which I don't think she's going to want to do.

Just curious if you guys take school age kids and if you have any restrictions? I'm worried about losing so many kids at once and disappointing parents when I tell them that their child has outgrown my program and they won't be receiving care.
284878 10:52 AM 02-22-2021
I have one SA plus my own dd. SA had a sibling in care. What kind of restrictions are you thinking about?

Here is some rules I have in place...

He must read for 20 minutes at the beginning of nap time.
He can not go into dd room for any reason.
He must shut the door when going potty.
He is allowed to bring his back pack but everything must stay in it, including outside food.
He does not get to use electronics unless it is for virtual school. (He signed an electronic agreement)
Unregistered 11:55 AM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by 284878:
I have one SA plus my own dd. SA had a sibling in care. What kind of restrictions are you thinking about?

Here is some rules I have in place...

He must read for 20 minutes at the beginning of nap time.
He can not go into dd room for any reason.
He must shut the door when going potty.
He is allowed to bring his back pack but everything must stay in it, including outside food.
He does not get to use electronics unless it is for virtual school. (He signed an electronic agreement)
I guess I don't know what I mean by restrictions. Age restrictions? I'm curious if it's unusual for me to accept school age kids.

I'll take them if they have a sibling in care. I have a few parents that just assume that I'll take their school age kids, instead of asking me. I have a dcg who will be starting KG this coming year. Dcm told me last week that she would still like to keep 1 day a week next year (we have a 4 day school week). I explained to her that I only take school age if there is a younger sibling enrolled and she seemed upset. It wouldn't have worked out anyway because she only wants 1 day a week, but still. I did let her know that drop-in could be an option if I have availability.

So, it makes me feel like maybe it's unreasonable to think a daycare wouldn't take school age?

I just had a bad experience with a 2nd grader last year and most people don't want to pay for the spot when it's only being used X amount of hours a week anyway. I feel like I'm rambling. Ugh, I guess I want reassurance that it's not unusual for a home daycare to not want school agers.
Cat Herder 11:58 AM 02-22-2021
I only serve birth to age 6.

Once they are in elementary school (5 or 6), they have graduated my program. I do not offer school aged care nor before/after school services.

I used to only offer birth to 5 because everyone went to free pre-k at age 4 (sept 1st cutoff). Now that they have made pre-k half day, few choose to attend and just stay with me.

Unless you have large numbers, school agers simply are not profitable.
Unregistered 12:08 PM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I only serve birth to age 6.

Once they are in elementary school (5 or 6), they have graduated my program. I do not offer school aged care nor before/after school services.

I used to only offer birth to 5 because everyone went to free pre-k at age 4 (sept 1st cutoff). Now that they have made pre-k half day, few choose to attend and just stay with me.

Unless you have large numbers, school agers simply are not profitable.
Did you have any siblings of SA that left because you don't provide care for them?

I would prefer not have SA at all, but I'm worried I would lose the siblings as well. That's a large chunk of my group.
Cat Herder 12:33 PM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Did you have any siblings of SA that left because you don't provide care for them?

I would prefer not have SA at all, but I'm worried I would lose the siblings as well. That's a large chunk of my group.
No. I have not. There are many options that are half my price for school aged care with longer hours and better outdoor play equipment for their body size. It is literally better for the kids and the parents to leave here at 5. I still have to shove some out, it baffles me.

The only time I really lose current 3 and under clients is when one too many become pregnant at the same time. First born, first enrolled is all I can do in fairness. Sometimes other families move their older kids so the younger kids can stay together with their siblings. They like the continuation and function together as an extended family. Sometimes I have to ask, sometimes they offer.

Generally, older kids yield to younger ones as finding infant/toddler care, full actual care, is the hardship locally.
Gemma 12:37 PM 02-22-2021
Logged out for privacy.

I've got several kids around the same age, so I will be losing them around the same time to KG. I took a school ager last year, and it was just not a good fit for my group. It made me realize that once they hit elementary school, they've outgrown my program. I've decided that I will only continue care for school age kids if they have a younger sibling enrolled.

I'll be losing 2 this year. One will not be receiving care from me anymore as she has no siblings in care. The other one has a younger sibling in care, so I will continue care for him if mom wants to pay for it. Of course, she's going to have to pay the full rate if she wants him to have a spot - which I don't think she's going to want to do.

Just curious if you guys take school age kids and if you have any restrictions? I'm worried about losing so many kids at once and disappointing parents when I tell them that their child has outgrown my program and they won't be receiving care.
I used to care for SA while I had my own kids to put on the bus and bring back, but just as you said, once they go to kindergarten then no longer fit in the program, so I stopped
Now I care for 0-5, but very few last till they're 5yr, most kids fit well until 31/2 then I encourage parents to find better suited accommodations .
Stop taking SA kids is one of the best decision I've ever made for my program
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 02-22-2021
Once a child goes to school and their sibling remains in daycare, there are already two different care situations so I never even gave it a second thought when I stopped taking SA kids.

I never lost a single family when I made the change and most totally agreed with me when I explained that SA kids really didn't fit in too well with little ones and vice versa.

I started out with taking only the SA kids that had siblings here but that quickly became a PITA so I just drew the line and stopped taking them once they hit Kindergarten.

BEST move I ever made!
Unregistered 12:49 PM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Once a child goes to school and their sibling remains in daycare, there are already two different care situations so I never even gave it a second thought when I stopped taking SA kids.

I never lost a single family when I made the change and most totally agreed with me when I explained that SA kids really didn't fit in too well with little ones and vice versa.

I started out with taking only the SA kids that had siblings here but that quickly became a PITA so I just drew the line and stopped taking them once they hit Kindergarten.

BEST move I ever made!
Thanks for this! I haven't told the other 2 parents yet that I would take their SA kids since they have siblings enrolled, so I may just do what you did and not take any SA at all. After reading what you wrote, I'm worried I will regret it.

Besides, I'm willing to bet that they are not going to want to pay for the spot anyway.
Unregistered 12:54 PM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I used to care for SA while I had my own kids to put on the bus and bring back, but just as you said, once they go to kindergarten then no longer fit in the program, so I stopped
Now I care for 0-5, but very few last till they're 5yr, most kids fit well until 31/2 then I encourage parents to find better suited accommodations .
Stop taking SA kids is one of the best decision I've ever made for my program
Do you give a reason to dcps why you don't take SA? I don't know how to explain they've outgrown my program without some pushback. When I told one dcp that last week, she told me that dck was behind anyway so she wouldn't be outgrowing anything :/ I just don't know how to explain myself if I get pushback. Parents don't understand the different dynamic it creates when you have SA with younger kids.
Cat Herder 12:56 PM 02-22-2021
"They have outgrown my equipment and space."
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 02-22-2021
Do you give a reason to dcps why you don't take SA? I don't know how to explain they've outgrown my program without some pushback. When I told one dcp that last week, she told me that dck was behind anyway so she wouldn't be outgrowing anything :/ I just don't know how to explain myself if I get pushback. Parents don't understand the different dynamic it creates when you have SA with younger kids.
I explained that the SA quickly got bored and boredom usually meant trouble and that's no fun for them at all.

I also explained that SA kids need so much more than a structured day that was really meant for littles. In the summer SA kids need to be outside and playing with peers not being shushed all the time due to napping littles etc.

SA kids need a completely different type of set up than little ones.

Little ones need to have an environment free of butt jokes, alphabet burping and arm pit farts.

Win win for both age groups.
Unregistered 02:02 PM 02-22-2021
"They have outgrown my equipment and space."
Short and simple. I like it!

I had a dcp ask me if a dck hits a certain age, if they don't count in my numbers anymore. Like if there's a cut-off age for counting in my ratio. Um, no. Dcm said they're trying to figure out what to do with dck when he starts school. Why would they want to know this? I can only assume that if they thought dck wouldn't count in my ratio, then they wouldn't have to pay for a spot??

I'm thinking I may just make it super easy, and not take SA at all. Depending on the child, I may occasionally take them as a drop-in, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Cat Herder 02:09 PM 02-22-2021
Short and simple. I like it!

I had a dcp ask me if a dck hits a certain age, if they don't count in my numbers anymore. Like if there's a cut-off age for counting in my ratio. Um, no. Dcm said they're trying to figure out what to do with dck when he starts school. Why would they want to know this? I can only assume that if they thought dck wouldn't count in my ratio, then they wouldn't have to pay for a spot??

I'm thinking I may just make it super easy, and not take SA at all. Depending on the child, I may occasionally take them as a drop-in, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
For a long time, here, they did not count after age 13. Apparently so many people did keep extra tweens they raised it to age 18. It stinks for those with their own kids at home. My own did not count after 13, and that felt like an eternity. Three slots is a lot to give up for 18 years.

The crazy part is that they can be assistants in centers at 16, but not in home childcare. They are kids until 18. Hmmm?
Sunshine69 07:10 AM 02-23-2021
A lot of providers in my area don’t take SA. They’re just not a good mix with the younger kids, they play too rough and they don’t respect nap time for the younger kids.

I find that the parents get confused about payment too when they have a younger sibling in care. If I charge drop-in rates for school-age they think they shouldn’t have to pay for a day the full-time kids are absent.

I currently have 4 SA and it is a nightmare. I only took them because they have been with me for years with younger siblings in care and our schools aren’t doing full-time in-person learning. The older kids needed some place to go for remote learning while their parents work. I keep my daycare space separate for my sanity but the SA are all in my personal space because they can’t be in close proximity to all the young kids’ noise or each other.

When they play outside, they trash the yard and my home. Throwing frisbees that hit windows, running through the flower beds, climbing on the landscaping bricks, knocking out screens, etc. They simply need a different program that can provide them with activities that fit their age.
Unregistered 09:10 AM 02-23-2021
Thanks everyone! Now, I need a little help with what to say lol

When dcm told me the other day they are trying to decide what to do with dck when he starts KG, I didn't say that I don't take SA. I need to let her know that I don't provide care for SA. I don't know how to phrase it since I didn't tell her when she brought it up.

Any suggestions?
Cat Herder 09:21 AM 02-23-2021
Thanks everyone! Now, I need a little help with what to say lol

When dcm told me the other day they are trying to decide what to do with dck when he starts KG, I didn't say that I don't take SA. I need to let her know that I don't provide care for SA. I don't know how to phrase it since I didn't tell her when she brought it up.

Any suggestions?
"There are several school age daycares, camps and summer program's locally. Would you like me to get together some links for you?" (YMCA, Youth Camps, Etc.)

Also many public school offer homework centers until 530 pm.
Unregistered 02:02 PM 02-23-2021
"There are several school age daycares, camps and summer program's locally. Would you like me to get together some links for you?" (YMCA, Youth Camps, Etc.)

Also many public school offer homework centers until 530 pm.
Unfortunately, our area offers none of those things. I guess I'll just have to let her know that I should've mentioned it the other day, but I don't take SA.
Gemma 04:21 AM 02-24-2021
For me, it's not about the parents understanding or agreeing, I've done that the first few years and it just does not work. No, like it or not it is about me, and what I see fit for my program!
When a child demonstrate the need for something I do not provide, such as: more freedom/less structure, more stimulating environment, age appropriate playmates, outgrown nap etc, then I simply advise the parents to start looking for more appropriate accommodations for their child, and I let them know that "in the child's best interest I will not renew the contract when it expires, so that day will be the child's last day no matter what the parents choose to do.
Josiegirl 07:44 AM 02-24-2021
No help with advice on what to say but mixing SA dcks and younger kids was always so hard. Older kids are rough, don't pay a lot of attention to where the littles are in relation to them so accidents seem to happen more often, older ones can be downright sneaky, "I'm so boorrred", crude/rude, etc., etc. A Lot of them anyways. I had a few that were great helpers and loved the little ones to pieces!
Looking back I believe that was probably 1 of the top 3 most difficult things of running a daycare, trying to keep all ages.

You've got to do what's best for you and your dcks, not to mention your own sanity.
Unregistered 09:47 AM 03-09-2021
OP here.

So, I've decided not to take SA at all. I'm not a SA program.

I don't know if I should send out a message letting everyone know? Some dcp are assuming I'll take SA. The thing is I've never offered before school care or after school care rates. I'm thinking that when May/June comes, I will just let the dcp of kids going into KG know that their child's last day will be August X as I'm not a SA program.

I'm just not sure how to handle this because I had one dcp tell me they are trying to figure out what to do with dcb when he starts KG and I never spoke up. But, I also don't offer rates for after school/summer care.

Any advice will be appreciated
Tags:school age, school age care, school age daycare kids
Reply Up