Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Urinating
rmc20021 09:23 AM 03-27-2013
I have a 5 yo boy who just started this week and I noticed he's urinating much more than the other kids. This morning he has used the toilet 6 times within 5 hours. Most of my other kids usually go potty once before lunch, once before nap and once after nap each day. They are all 4/5 yo so they know when they need to go so I don't schedule regular potty visits except just before nap as some of them will wet the bed if not.

Is this normal for a 5 yo to use the toilet this many times? He's not drinking excessively here. Milk for breakfast and lunch and water for snacks. He has not been drinking in between meals either so I don't feel he's drinking so much that he would need to use the bathroom so much.
Meeko 09:28 AM 03-27-2013
Diabetes?
Unregistered 09:33 AM 03-27-2013
is he small for his age at all or recently hit a growth spurt??? His bladder may not have caught up with the growth yet. Just mention to his parents and help them to keep an eye on it but my 8 year old goes through periods of the same thing.
rmc20021 09:40 AM 03-27-2013
As I just got him I would't be able to tell if he's going through a growth spurt. He doesn't seem small for his age...about the same as the other kids, just a little heavier, but not much.

If it was diabetes, which is naturally the first thought, would't he also be drinking more??? He's never even asked for more drinks than what I've offered him.
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
As I just got him I would't be able to tell if he's going through a growth spurt. He doesn't seem small for his age...about the same as the other kids, just a little heavier, but not much.

If it was diabetes, which is naturally the first thought, would't he also be drinking more??? He's never even asked for more drinks than what I've offered him.
With diabetics the frequent urination comes from the excessive thirst.

Urinating frequently is NOT a sign of diabetes, just a symptom or fall out of a sign.

You would also see other factors such as moodiness, extreme bouts of tiredness.

I would be more inclined to believe that he has never had to be on a schedule for using the bathroom and/or the growth spurt concept.

I have a couple around that age who use the bathroom a lot but not because they need to but because they don't take the time to fully empty their bladder each time they are in there for fear of missing out on something.
rmc20021 10:07 AM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a couple around that age who use the bathroom a lot but not because they need to but because they don't take the time to fully empty their bladder each time they are in there for fear of missing out on something.
You know, this sounds more like the problem...he's new and doesn't stay focused on anything more than a couple minutes because he's so eager to get onto the next thing. I bet that's what it is...
nanglgrl 10:22 AM 03-27-2013
Have you listened at the door to make sure he's going? My daughter used the bąthroom as an escape at preschool.
daycare123 10:54 AM 03-27-2013
maybe he has a uti or bladder infection?
mema 11:37 AM 03-27-2013
I would think that it was more of the not emptying issue-especially if he can't seem to stay focused and doesn't seem to want to "miss out" on anything.

Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Have you listened at the door to make sure he's going? My daughter used the bąthroom as an escape at preschool.
I had one of these! Every 45 minutes-I need to go potty. After the first day of letting it happen and me standing at the door listening, I was like, um, why don't you hold it for a while. They would just go in to get away from their brother.

My dd is the opposite. She's 9 and I have to ask her before she leaves the house in the morning if she has gone. If she had her way, she would go a few hours after getting up in the morning and then not again until supper. I ask her when she gets home from school to go and also at bed. She has never had a UTI, but I told her she doesn't want one either!
MNMum 11:43 AM 03-27-2013
I have an almost 5 year old who has been here 2 years. He has also been this way. He has to go much more frequently than my newly trained 3 year old. I'm not sure if it is a small bladder thing, a not emptying issue, or a post traumatic potty training disorder (apparently things were not done correctly at previous daycare, I never asked about specifics). From everything I read about it, it can be normal at this age. Every kid is different type of deal. In the last few months he has finally turned the corner. No longer has naptime accidents and seems to be able to hold it a bit longer. Since he is so new, it could be a "nerves" issue.
AmyKidsCo 11:49 AM 03-27-2013
Has he always gone this often? Maybe it's just a habit from when he was potty-training to go as soon as he feels the urge. As long as it's not a new symptom and not bothering you or anyone else, what's the harm?

On a related note... I have a 4 yr old who had to go every 20 min during naptime but could hold it from drop-off at 8:00 until lunchtime hand-washing at 11:45. He got so crabby from not napping long enough that his parents told him he could only go once during nap.
Meeko 12:38 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
With diabetics the frequent urination comes from the excessive thirst.

Urinating frequently is NOT a sign of diabetes, just a symptom or fall out of a sign.

You would also see other factors such as moodiness, extreme bouts of tiredness.

I would be more inclined to believe that he has never had to be on a schedule for using the bathroom and/or the growth spurt concept.

I should have asked about the thirst etc too. I have type 2 diabetes and it was thirst and non-stop potty runs that were my first symptoms!
Blackcat31 12:55 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I should have asked about the thirst etc too. I have type 2 diabetes and it was thirst and non-stop potty runs that were my first symptoms!
My DH's was blurry vision. My nephew urinated a lot and doctor was the one who told us that frequent urination is only a symptom of the excessive thirst.

DH had excessive thirst too but it was July and about 100F degrees outside so we figured the excessive thirst was due to the heat/temps.

We KNEW with DH right away since Type 1 runs in his family so rampantly. It's been good but we've had some scary moments too.

Hope you aren't having any issues with your diabetes. It sure is a sucky thing to have.
Tags:5 year old, diabetes, urine
Reply Up