Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>bringing in the community
MommaNDirector 05:41 AM 10-06-2011
As a new director Im lookin for new ideas for my center ... Im thinking everyother week bringin about getting firefighters, vet, dentist etc to come talk to kids about fire safety , how to pet animals, caring for their teeth ... is Love more ideas i want to have a good list going mejore getting it started Thanks !!
Crystal 07:06 AM 10-06-2011
I think I would make it once a month....it will probably be overwhelming doing so many, so often. If it's once a month, then you actually have time to explore the topic in depth with children, rather than it just seeming meaningless to them.

Also, I'd start with parents. Find out what their careers are and have them come in as guest speakers.

Good luck, sounds like fun!
erinalexmom 09:12 AM 10-06-2011
how about a nurse? How about a cosmotologist? One time when I worked at an after school program I hadone come in and she not only talked about her career she did the girls nails They loved it! Law enforcement would be good. How about the military especially on veterans day
Pammie 09:35 AM 10-06-2011
My dh is a restaurant manager, and went in for career day at my daughter's middle school - his presentation was such a hit that they still ask him to come back every year - even though my daughter is now in college!

I bet managers at your favorite restaurants would be happy to come in and talk to your kids too! They'll probably bring in goodies (food, coupons, kidpacks) too
Pammie 09:36 AM 10-06-2011
Oops
Forgot to add that I agree with Crystal! Find out what the parents of your students careers are - and ask them to come in too!!!
kendallina 09:55 AM 10-06-2011
You could call the library too and see if they have any outreach program for schools/daycares. Where I used to work we had a librarian come in every other and read a story, talk about the library, etc. The children loved it when Miss Rose came!
kendallina 09:57 AM 10-06-2011
You could also ask your parents if they have any talents or activities/books with the children. Some may play a musical instrument, be a good cook or just want to come in and do a story with the children. I think it's great that you really want your center to be a part of the community in this way!
daycare 10:59 AM 10-06-2011
I am huge on this. I love taking my kids out into the community or having them come to us.

So far this school season we have:

Participated in lets move.gov, we went to a child’s gym and the kids got to do a free one hour workout on all of the equipment.

I had one of the parents come in that owns an adult gym and is also a nutritionist. He put on a great presentation for the kids and they loved it. During this time we also went to the grocery store and a store manger took us on a tour. The kids all got to purchase one healthy food selection of their choice and the store manager gave them all an apron to wear during the tour.
This month we have gone on a nature hike lead by a park ranger and learned about parks, our community and how to care for them so that the animals can survive in a clean environment.
We then took another trip to one of our local parks and collected all kinds of leaves, acorns, twigs, and any other forms of nature we found. The kids got to take pictures of the trees still green and the leaves attached. In a few weeks, we will go back and take note of all the changes that fall has brought.

I hate being stuck behind these four walls for 14 hours a day and I am sure that do too. I think it’s a great way to get the kids involved into their own community and get real hands on experience .
Right now this is my selling point that I offer a program that promotes our local community,
Reply Up