Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Doesn't Nap...Really????
CraftyMom 10:30 AM 03-03-2014
I have a dcb 2, who is ready to fall asleep right after lunch everyday, falls asleep the second he hits the pillow. In fact I CANNOT keep him awake! I have to though because he doesn't nap as long as the others and wakes everyone else up, so he has to be the last to fall asleep. I have him read books in a different room until the others are sleeping, and quite often he falls asleep sitting up.

Several times I have seen mom posting on fb about how dcb won't take a nap all weekend. This amazes me because I cannot keep this boy awake for anything! Makes me wonder what goes on all weekend. Frustrates me thinking about how tired he must be.

cara041083 10:39 AM 03-03-2014
This post makes me laugh lol. All of my DCK's parents always tell me they can't get them to nap at home. I also always see them on FB posting about how they can't get them to lay down. Here I don't have that problem at all. All I say is "ok guys lets go" and they go lay down lol. I think we as providers set standers and the kids learn how it is going to be when they are with us.
Scout 10:56 AM 03-03-2014
Yes, but, keep in mind most kids are not woken up early on the weekend either. My youngest son doesn't take weekend naps either but, sleeps every naptime mon-fri when he is up by 8.
JoseyJo 11:01 AM 03-03-2014
My little 4yo dcg told me first thing this morning " I LOVE naps!" Last Thursday when I asked her what her favorite part of the day was and she said Nap Time!

She has the biggest grin every day after lunch when it's time to go to sleep. I have never seen a child love to sleep so much! She needs it too, she is dragging by lunch. She is a great eater too. But her mom says she can't get her to eat or sleep? The only thing I can think of is a power play or something?
daycarediva 11:04 AM 03-03-2014
Either sleeping in or lack of structure/discipline.

My almost 6yo naps on weekends and days off from school. He NEEDS IT!
jenn 11:07 AM 03-03-2014
I think it is a combo of 2 things.

1. The parents will not get strict. If they don't want a nap, whine, cry, or whimper, they let them get up.

2. The kids sleep later on the weekends and then spend their awake time running errands (where they are basically sitting in the car), or using some time of electrical device (that basically means more sitting). They simply aren't as tired as they are on weekdays when they get up early and are busy playing at daycare.
cheerfuldom 11:11 AM 03-03-2014
I had a family tell me recently that their 15 month old was only taking one 45 minute nap a day....eeek! he is exhausted and miserable by Monday and no wonder. I give him 2 two hour naps here a day and sometimes he sleeps more. I really don't know what they are doing at home with him. If they would just tuck him in and leave him, he would go to sleep, its not hard. I dont do anything special or magical here
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 03-03-2014
I think it is pretty common that kids don't nap on weekends.

Not because parents are lazy of don't enforce napping but simply because the environment over the weekend doesn't warrant a nap.

My own kids rarely napped over the weekends but would fall asleep exhausted during the week while in care.

The weekends at home are usually spent sleeping in, being lazy or just mellow enough that a nap isn't necessary.

Plus a lot of parents spend so much time on the go that even a 10 minute power nap while in the car running errands will squash the need for a nap in a minute.
Play Care 11:12 AM 03-03-2014
My kids outgrew naps early because they could sleep in - though at 2 they were still napping.
Weekends are busy, there is a lot more going on, and some kids want to stay awake to spend as much time with their things/parents as possible.

Honestly, so long as they were napping at my house, I wouldn't give it another thought
lovemykidstoo 02:14 PM 03-03-2014
I think the other posts hit it already. The whole day is different at home. They're sleeping in, maybe not as active etc. Sometimes I have to remind the parents when they tell me that they don't think Jonny needs a nap here because he doesn't take one at home that Jonny doesn't have 5 other kids at home that he runs nonstop with all day. Jonny's tired by lunch here. Just different environment, probably more structured of course. When my kids were little, they didn't have that bang bang bang structure like my dck's do.
cheerfuldom 06:16 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think it is pretty common that kids don't nap on weekends.

Not because parents are lazy of don't enforce napping but simply because the environment over the weekend doesn't warrant a nap.

My own kids rarely napped over the weekends but would fall asleep exhausted during the week while in care.

The weekends at home are usually spent sleeping in, being lazy or just mellow enough that a nap isn't necessary.

Plus a lot of parents spend so much time on the go that even a 10 minute power nap while in the car running errands will squash the need for a nap in a minute.
The power nap in the car is what I see. Parents don't want to slow down for the kids and plan errands around a nap in the car. I had a family that would drive to the mall, about 15 minutes, so their child would have a nap on the weekend and then go run errands. The power nap was specifically "scheduled" as part of their day so they didnt have to be at home on the weekends. This kid was probably the worst sleep deprived toddler i ever had but the parents did not see the behavior that way. They thought that she was just being a toddler and that it was cute she was so "sassy" aka tantrums
CraftyMom 10:44 AM 03-04-2014
That all definitely makes sense! I think they have so much to do on weekends there is no time to slow down and take a real nap
countrymom 11:43 AM 03-04-2014
also another thing is that alot of the kids go to bed super early too so the parents don't want them to nap, why who knows. But I agree with who ever said that the kids here run all day, and they do literally. Its none stop busy of course they are going to be tired, heck I'm tired just watching what they do.
Reply Up