Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help!
Unregistered 01:17 PM 05-05-2015
This year I've had to use all five of my sick days to care for my son thanks to Pink eye, Roseola, and the stomach flu (all brought in by other kids). Which I should mention I keep the toys very clean and my home daycare is the cleanest and best organized in the area according to everyone! My son is 2 and I only close if he's really sick or it's a very transmittable disease otherwise I just care for him in a dedicated gated sick area off the main play area. Anyhow this last time I had to close when I finally came down with the flu after all the kids had it and most of the parents came down with it too. Today when I went to get something out of one of the kids diaper bags I noticed a handful of things from some of the large childcare centers in the area. I'm heartbroken their thinking of putting their child somewhere else, this little guy has been in my care since day 1 he's practically part of the family and best friends with my son, just the sweetest little dream kid ever. Maybe I'm overreacting and they are just arranging back up care for if I ever need to close again. in past years I've never had to close for more then a single day! Should I ask them or jsut ignore it and wait for the terrible news?!
grandmom 02:09 PM 05-05-2015
All you can do is ask. Unfortunately, family providers face this if they have young children, or get sick themselves. The option is for you to find a person to work in your place if this happens again. Then the parents aren't left with no care.
daycare 02:37 PM 05-05-2015
don't take it personal.... parents have to do what is best for them, just as you have to. as hard as it may be for you, I would let it go.

It might be a good idea to always have feelers out and to always advertise your care with a waiting list. If your contract is two weeks term notice, then you know at any given point and time for any reason parents can and will leave. This doesn't replace your feelings for the child, but it does ease the stress of you losing any money. I have a 30 day term notice so as soon as I find out, I hit my waiting list up and fill that spot without gaps.

Just think as a parent how hard it might be for some of them to miss work when their child is sick and then again when you are sick. It really is no ones fault, but some parents can't afford that much time off. It is one of the cons in an in-home daycare as opposed to a center. A center normally only closes on holidays and doesn't close when any other time. They also offer longer hours than most of us can work. The are a lot of cons to centers too, but this is one of the Pro's that most parents look at when having to decide how much time they can take off.

I personally would not say anything, but I would get to working on that waiting list and advertising....

don't take it personal...chin up
Reply Up