Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Daycare Home
LenaLoyd 12:17 AM 06-26-2020
We are planning to move in the next 10 months. I will be expanding my daycare in the new home. I live in a state where you have to actually live in the home that you provide childcare in.

With all this in mind, what are some things that you personally absolute need in a daycare home? I would really like a completely separate space for daycare so a walk out basement? Does anyone have a home where the daycare parents never go into your personal space?

What are some other things that would be in the "must have" category for your home/daycare?
rosieteddy 10:24 AM 06-26-2020
So many to list. I would definitely look for the separate entrance.Though personally I liked having use of my kitchen and back sunroom. I loved having the change of scenery ,mornings downstairs and nap ,lunch and afternoons upstairs.Parents dropped off and picked up in Foyer ,coats hung ,gate across daycare areas.
AmyKidsCo 12:45 PM 06-26-2020
In my dreams...
- Separate entrance for drop off/pick up.
- Another entrance to the outdoor play area.
- A separate screened porch the children would have independent access to.
- Lots of windows.
- Hard surface flooring (not carpet).
- Lots of storage.
- Be twice as big as my current playroom.
Unregistered 11:11 PM 06-28-2020
One of my criteria when moving was a dream in-home house. Did not happen. My house is alright but not exactly what I wanted. Thought we were going to move and again, I was trying to look for a home that would accomodate really well. It was a huge criteria in the house. I mean-I analyzed every house to see how a childcare would fit.

I definitely think a separate area is a good idea. My state doesn't allow a separate building on the property-but that would be cool if you could. Otherwise, a basement would do well. Like a tri level or a home on a hill where parents can easily access from outside. One that has, or has ability to, a kitchen in the main area, and some spare rooms. Office and storage, nap room, a special room for a change of scenery or indoor "playground."
Of course, the proper windows and emergency exits, etc.
mooseriot 04:55 AM 06-29-2020
My home is a two story so it has a lot of pros

It’s own entrance
Plenty of space
Tile floors
Lots of windows for natural lights
An office space
It’s completely separate from my living space

The downside is my kitchen is upstairs and we might have to do a mini kitchen downstairs in the future someday but it helps having that kind of distance so your home life and work life aren’t always together and you can have a “break”

Another downside is lack of storage as you know you accumulate so many things haha.
CountryRoads 06:19 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by LenaLoyd:
We are planning to move in the next 10 months. I will be expanding my daycare in the new home. I live in a state where you have to actually live in the home that you provide childcare in.

With all this in mind, what are some things that you personally absolute need in a daycare home? I would really like a completely separate space for daycare so a walk out basement? Does anyone have a home where the daycare parents never go into your personal space?

What are some other things that would be in the "must have" category for your home/daycare?
We have a walk-out basement and it works great. Separate entrance, separate living space. We also have a kitchenette downstairs, which works perfect! I don't think I could get by without it.

I used to have parents come in through the upstairs door and come downstairs. It was a nightmare! No one took off their shoes, dcps let their kids run wild upstairs, etc. It was the best thing I ever did (for our own kids - and for my sanity!) to change it to the downstairs entrance. Now, NOBODY is in our personal space

If my daycare wasn't in a separate space from my "living area", I don't think I would've lasted long doing this.
knoxmomof2 10:57 PM 07-25-2020
Find a place with as many dedicated daycare spaces as possible!! Dedicated daycare space with entrance, dedicated nap room, easy access to back yard from house, large backyard that's fairly level with shade and fenced in. Your own family's separate living room. Bathroom adjacent to daycare room.

We bought this house with the daycare's needs in mind 5 years ago. It has the driveway, front walk/ front door/ daycare room, nap room, bathroom and kitchen all adjacent to each other and on one side of the house. My family's living space is all on the opposite side of the house or downstairs from all of that. I also have a cool pass through room that allows us to go from the bedrooms into the kitchen/ dining room and downstairs to our family living room all without stepping foot into the daycare room or nap room.

Unfortunately, I have a hilly backyard with no shade. At least it's big and fenced though. I have a nice, flat front yard that is right off the daycare room/ front door, but my Husband doesn't want to fence it in because he says a play yard out front is unsightly and looks too commerical.

Also, if you have pets, think about where they'll be and how they'll get outside to potty during your work day. Another consideration is your own family, specifically your children. I homeschool my teens and they work at the dining room table, so I'm within earshot if they need me and they can drop in to chat sometimes. I can also listen out to see if they're doing what they should be and communicate with them if I need extra hands, or the dogs need to go out or whatever. I like that I'm not cut off from them while I'm working. I originally thought I wanted a basement for my daycare space, but this house isn't set up for that. Now I'm glad I didn't go that route because I would be cut off from them. We also have 2 little ones, a toddler and a baby. I like that their room is on the main level for the same reason. I also like the fact that the family living room is on a different level from my work spaces. I can leave work at the end of the day and not return until the next morning.
Tags:moving daycare, new daycare starts, planning, starting a daycare
Reply Up