Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walking Rope
284878 10:43 PM 10-18-2020
I am considering a walking rope and wondering if any one use one. I am not sure how to introduce the rope.

I am walking less than 6 kids, in a private driveway, mostly preschool or older. When I have younger ones ride in a stroller. This little girl is too big for the stroller.

We walk to the bus stop and I have a little girl 3.5 that does not want to stay with the group, she keeps taking off running. I keep talking to her and she will stop for a while but then takes off again. I am considering a child leash just for her but I am not sure if that is allowed or how the parents would feel about that. (With the child leash, I thinking of using it as a walking rope, were she just hold on to it as we walk, not wrapped on her in any way)

Recommendations?
Gemma 04:05 AM 10-19-2020
I use the Grab&Go and I love it!
I had no problem introducing it to the kids, it has velcro straps that can adjust so I let the bigger kids hold the ring, and I strap the wrist of the ones in training asking them to hold the rope. The distance between kids is good so no one trips over if one of the happens to fall.
I only walk on my property, or private street.
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 10-19-2020
Other threads about walking ropes

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=walking+ropes
rosieteddy 11:33 AM 10-19-2020
I always pushed a double stroller .The infants 2 and under rode toddlers 2up held on.Every child had a "safety "strap.It was elastic fastened to the stroller in front on side and side handles in back.The wrist area was velcro.Iplaced stickers on the sides to show where to hold. Worked out wonderfully The older kids held up front youngests in back next to me. Just last week I gave them to my daughter for a trip to the zoo.Perfect.
284878 03:33 PM 10-19-2020
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I always pushed a double stroller .The infants 2 and under rode toddlers 2up held on.Every child had a "safety "strap.It was elastic fastened to the stroller in front on side and side handles in back.The wrist area was velcro.Iplaced stickers on the sides to show where to hold. Worked out wonderfully The older kids held up front youngests in back next to me. Just last week I gave them to my daughter for a trip to the zoo.Perfect.
That sounds interesting but I'm having a hard time picturing it. Do you have pictures of it?
springv 12:15 PM 10-20-2020
We used a walking rope with our 4's and up when we use to go to the library once a week and it worked out great. The parents didn't have a problem with it at all. They were very happy that we was doing things like that.
rosieteddy 09:08 AM 10-21-2020
I am computer challenged and cant figure how to leave a link.Amazon has Anti lost wrist links that would work.Google them they are not to expensive 12.99 for two.I would attatch to stroller then each day children held on but were attatched as well.We did have assigned straps older kids up front littles in back .Worked best with two or more seat stroller tandem. Kids were excited to move up when older kids went off to school.
284878 02:46 PM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I am computer challenged and cant figure how to leave a link.Amazon has Anti lost wrist links that would work.Google them they are not to expensive 12.99 for two.I would attatch to stroller then each day children held on but were attatched as well.We did have assigned straps older kids up front littles in back .Worked best with two or more seat stroller tandem. Kids were excited to move up when older kids went off to school.
Do you mean like these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07332BF8N..._uWkKFb6VG01XV
rosieteddy 07:16 AM 10-22-2020
Yes those would work.Mine were elastic ,not coil but same idea.Fasten and leave one end on stroller then each child gets fastened for walk.It worked great we went everywhere they held onto stroller ,but if someone tried to run I could catch them easily.
284878 10:26 PM 10-31-2020
Okay, that was a failure.

I have dck 3.5 & 7 (siblings) that keep running down the driveway and then my 8 & 2. My 2 will walk holding my hand and my 8 is not too far in front of me. I ordered the rope and put it up.

I told all of the kids before we left out the door that there was to be no running, 7 took off again and 3.5 follows. I had to holler at 7 to stop because just calling his name does not get him to stop. He HAS to be the first one to the tree/bus stop. I made him sit where he is until I get to him, which is a while because I am going at the speed of a 2-year-old. As soon as I get to him he tries to take off, I explain that since he insists on running and not listening that we will be using a rope that everyone will hold on to as we walk down. He is not happy.

So the next day, I got out the rope, 7 took the first colored loop and 3.5 took the second, my 2 took one by me at the other end, and my 8 the middle. 7 walked fast and pulled 3.5 to the point she was having trouble keeping up. (the rope was tight at that point and loose behind her)

Any suggestions?

bg - 7 will be the crabbiest in the morning. He gets upset if he does not get to wash his hands first. (so I have him go first on TH and 3.5 on T) However, I say Breakfast time, 7 go wash your hands first and come to the table, he washes and goes back to play because he didn't get to play as long as 3.5. Then 3.5 will be washing her hands and when I see 7 playing, I have to have him get back in line to wash again. Then he is upset that he is not first.

He is so concerned with being in line first to go outside, he will put on only his coat or shoes than rush to the door. I have to send him back and then he gets mad because 3.5 is standing where he was even though she is line leader that day.

Last year that sat and had breakfast upon entering but this year the bus comes 30 min later, so I have been letting them play for 30 min before breakfast. He is so focused on getting to the toys first he does not remove his shoes or coat.

(I know the answer is right in front of me) But any thoughts or insight on how to change his NEED to be first?
Unregistered 10:16 AM 11-11-2020
We did a jump rope and tied more rope to it in circular knots. Kids could fit a wrist and it was adjustable. I always told them we had big business to attend to and since they were older, they got to hold rope but if they ran off, they will have to sit in stroller like babies. No one wanted to be "that baby". We also did rewards at end of week which was an outing to a restaurant liked liked if we had 0 incidents of anyone running away. I was BLESSED not to have any escapees. However, with outings being difficult, another reward might be needed. Most of my kids were 3 to 5 and 2 infants and 2 school ages. I really didn't take many non-potty trained toddlers.
Tags:walking harness, walking ropes, walking safety
Reply Up