Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ripped Off AGAIN!!!!!!!
busymomof2 02:28 PM 05-18-2011
I can't believe it. I have been ripped off AGAIN on Craigslist. I posted last week that a previous parent opened up her own daycare and I saw her ad and photos (artwork from my daycare) and it is the same as mine. Today I go on Criagslist to check if she did it agian. To my surprise it happened again but this time it was somene else that I never met. She took my ad and cut and paste her name and information. I know I should feel flattered that everyone is copying my ad but WHAT THE F...!!!!! She didn't change a single word other than to paste her name and contact information. I am BEYOND PISSED. What really ticks me off is she is in my area and if a parent sees both ads their gonna wonder who stold what from who. Well I emailed her directly to tell her that I did not appreciate what she did and to make her own ad. She has not reponded so I posted on Craigslist so everyone can see what type of person she is. I was not mean about I just stated that i know times are hard but that I did not appreciate her taking my ad and copying it word for word. I explained that no 2 daycare programs are carbon copies so their ads should not be. My question is how can I avoid people copying off me? Craigslist is my only form of advertisement and where I have gotten all my kids. My ad is very detailed because I put thought and work into it. I don't know what to do. Help! It is cut throat around her and people don't care about stealing disrespecting eachother as long as they get that dc bussiness.
jen2651 02:55 PM 05-18-2011
Wow, I would love to see your ad! I guess I don't have any advice on what you could do. It is really unfortunate people are that lazy.
Mike Lassiter 03:42 PM 05-18-2011
At the bottom of your ads include a copyright notice. The ebay listings we do have one because someone took my pictures from our listings and used them in her listings competing against us. Another competitor sent me a message alerting me to it. When she replied back to my email threatening legal action she told me our stockings looked so nice she wanted to use them in her listings too and" didn't realize it wasn't ok to do it!
All of our listings now have each image water marked with our logo and copyright notice specifically stating they may not be copied by ANY means and intended to be used soley for buyer consideration in regards to that listing, any other use is strictly prohibited.
First it maybe flattery to have you ads copied; because they liked your work enough to copy it. It took me hundreds of hours to learn all I had to in order to create those ads. Now you want to steal my work to compete against me??
You invest the time and effort as I have to produce not only a ad or listing but also to create the custom item we are selling then have someone just copy all of your work and misrepresent themselves as having done what you did and see how you feel!
I hate people who steal such things trying to promote theirself as if they did my work. It's lazy and just wrong. Create your own work don't copy/steal mine then use it against me.
If you include the copyright and see others coping your stuff you can sic your lawyer on them. Or that least threaten to do so.
sharlan 03:46 PM 05-18-2011
Hey, I'm in CA, can I copy your ad, too???????????

(JUST KIDDING)

I've seen that daycare is becoming cutthroat here. It's hard when the local elementary schools are charging $35 a WEEK for afterschool care.
busymomof2 04:01 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter:
At the bottom of your ads include a copyright notice. The ebay listings we do have one because someone took my pictures from our listings and used them in her listings competing against us. Another competitor sent me a message alerting me to it. When she replied back to my email threatening legal action she told me our stockings looked so nice she wanted to use them in her listings too and" didn't realize it wasn't ok to do it!
All of our listings now have each image water marked with our logo and copyright notice specifically stating they may not be copied by ANY means and intended to be used soley for buyer consideration in regards to that listing, any other use is strictly prohibited.
First it maybe flattery to have you ads copied; because they liked your work enough to copy it. It took me hundreds of hours to learn all I had to in order to create those ads. Now you want to steal my work to compete against me??
You invest the time and effort as I have to produce not only a ad or listing but also to create the custom item we are selling then have someone just copy all of your work and misrepresent themselves as having done what you did and see how you feel!
I hate people who steal such things trying to promote theirself as if they did my work. It's lazy and just wrong. Create your own work don't copy/steal mine then use it against me.
If you include the copyright and see others coping your stuff you can sic your lawyer on them. Or that least threaten to do so.
My point exactely!!!!! How anyone can think that's right is beyond me. I was thinking of changing my ad but why I created it and someone else might steal that one too. I'm gonnna add what you said to the bottom of my ad. That way if she does it again I can threaten to sue. I hope she sees how embarrassing that is for her and I hope parents she that she is gonna be a lazy, uncreative provider who can't come up with one single original idea. In your face copy cat.
Country Kids 04:16 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Hey, I'm in CA, can I copy your ad, too???????????

(JUST KIDDING)

I've seen that daycare is becoming cutthroat here. It's hard when the local elementary schools are charging $35 a WEEK for afterschool care.
I charge $75 for the month for afterschool care-would love to be able to get $35 a week been doing this for 14 years so I'm not a newbie. We do have an organization here the boys and girls club that offer after school care and such for $50 a year if that much. Summers are extra but very affordable compared to a in home childcare or center.
Michael 04:20 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by busymomof2:
I can't believe it. I have been ripped off AGAIN on Craigslist. I posted last week that a previous parent opened up her own daycare and I saw her ad and photos (artwork from my daycare) and it is the same as mine. Today I go on Criagslist to check if she did it agian. To my surprise it happened again but this time it was somene else that I never met. She took my ad and cut and paste her name and information. I know I should feel flattered that everyone is copying my ad but WHAT THE F...!!!!!
A paid system like the Daycare.com registry has its benifits. People like that would never spend a dime to advertise and you wouldn't see them here. I see you have over 100 posts, you qualify for a free year on our registry. PM me if interested.
missnikki 04:22 PM 05-18-2011
I would also add to it:

"Providing quality, loving care to families since 1989 (or whenever)"

AND

"References available upon request- current and previous client testimonials, too!"

To give the reader a vote of confidence in your quality and longevity...that might help to distinguish between ads if they are reallllllllly looking for a quality provider. (That's the kind of parent you want to attract anyway, right?)
Mike Lassiter 05:16 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I would also add to it:

AND

"References available upon request- current and previous client testimonials, too!"

To give the reader a vote of confidence in your quality and longevity...that might help to distinguish between ads if they are reallllllllly looking for a quality provider. (That's the kind of parent you want to attract anyway, right?)
You go girl! That is right on the "money". That's exactly the stuff you want people to know.
Stacy214 11:11 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I would also add to it:

AND

Great idea!

I also have a very detailed add that I have used but NEVER thought about someone stealing it! I never looked but now I will lol...Some people are so ridiculous and lazy...
Tags:craigs list, ripped off
Reply Up