Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Group Art Supplies Or Individual?
SilverSabre25 02:22 PM 07-26-2011
Do you have a set of art supplies (like crayons, markers, scissors) separate for each child, or do you just have big containers of each and everyone shares? I'm seriously tempted to give everyone their own.
grandmom 02:27 PM 07-26-2011
All together. For this very important reason.

One of the primary things children need to learn (after bonding) is to get along with their peers and negotiate when times are tough. If you give them their own set of everything they never learn that.

I will purposefully put 3 pair of scissors for 4 children and then watch them stretch and grow as they negotiate the deal.

I'm NOT talking about sharing, which is translated as *if you have it and I want it you have to share*. This is very different. The children have to learn to ask: may I have the scissors when you are finished? And then they have to learn patience.
pappyny 02:48 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
One of the primary things children need to learn (after bonding) is to get along with their peers and negotiate when times are tough. If you give them their own set of everything they never learn that.

I will purposefully put 3 pair of scissors for 4 children and then watch them stretch and grow as they negotiate the deal.
Great point, Grandmom!
I give the kids their own set of crayons, pair of scissors and pencils for our preschool time when they all need the same thing at roughly the same time. In our art center, they have supplies they need to share.
melskids 03:30 PM 07-26-2011
All together. For this very important reason.

I'm NOT talking about sharing, which is translated as *if you have it and I want it you have to share*. This is very different. The children have to learn to ask: may I have the scissors when you are finished? And then they have to learn patience.
i totally agree. this is how i do it too. not just with art supplies either...but with everything we use.
Pammie 05:01 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Do you have a set of art supplies (like crayons, markers, scissors) separate for each child, or do you just have big containers of each and everyone shares? I'm seriously tempted to give everyone their own.
I have both - group supplies and individual kits for the older kids (3+). My little ones share everything, as they are learning proper use of things like markers, glue and scissors, I like to closely monitor their use. But my older kids like to have their own crayons that haven't been broken by someone else, their own markers that have nice clean tips because the littles haven't scribbled over wet marker, etc. And they've earned the privilege of using their supplies during free-time.

I think it helps to teach my older kids responsibility to take care of their own supplies - and the natural reward, that if they take care of their things, then they'll have nice supplies to use - and the natural consequence, if they break their crayons, leave their lid off of their glue stick, then they won't have their own personal supply - they'll have to share the group supplies.

At back-to-school sales, all of my kids age 3+ get a new pencil box stocked with a 24ct crayons, glue stick, mini glue bottle, scissors, pencils, markers and a pen. When we work on preK activities, they get their box out for their work, and when they want to do free art/writing/drawing, they can use their personal box those times too. No one shares the contents of their personal box unless the owner of the box allows. Every June when we finish our preK curriculum for the year, they get to take their box and any remaining contents home - they're always so proud to do that:-) I do replenish box supplies that get worn-out (like markers) or empty (like glue/stix).

It works for me:-)
countrymom 06:45 PM 07-26-2011
hmmm thats a good idea to have a box and have their own supplies in it. I would write their names on it (so they learn to identify their names) but I think the kids would really like it. I feel like I'm constantly going thru markers and crayons and glue because some kids just use them up or break them.
countrymom 06:49 PM 07-26-2011
I just showed dh the wooden marker holder (the one where you have the caps in the wood) and he couldn't believe it cost 15 dollars. This weekend he will make it for me.
grandmom 02:54 PM 07-27-2011
Countrymom,

You can make this way cheaper than $15.

Take a small butter tub and sand the inside of it.
Sand the outside of 6-8 pen caps .
Mix about a cup of plaster of paris
Pour into butter tub
Insert pen caps into plaster of paris
Let dry

You need to sand them so that they will have rough edges and the pofp will hold.

The problem you will have now is that some children will try to match the color of the pen to the cap and they never quite match any more. I once used just black pen caps to see what they would do. I love this tool because then I always know if a pen is missing.
SilverSabre25 03:18 PM 07-27-2011
the point about learning to share is an excellent one. I hadn't thought of it in those terms, but it is a fabulous point. I really like the idea of not having *quite* enough scissors, etc, for the whole group to create those learning opportunities as well.

I think I will go the group supplies route, with personal supplies for those old enough to handle it. Right now I only have one of those, my DD, and she has her own stash in her room. The rest of my kids are still prone to breaking crayons on purpose, making big dots with markers, trying to eat crayons, and coloring on their skin with the markers. *sigh* I have an interesting group. So in other words, for this year anyway, it's group all around.
SimpleMom 03:19 PM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
hmmm thats a good idea to have a box and have their own supplies in it. I would write their names on it (so they learn to identify their names) but I think the kids would really like it. I feel like I'm constantly going thru markers and crayons and glue because some kids just use them up or break them.
I had this issue as well. Now< I get a large bootle of glue and pour some into a cup or bowl, put a few popcycle sticks in it and it goes much further
countrymom 06:56 PM 07-27-2011
Countrymom,

You can make this way cheaper than $15.

Take a small butter tub and sand the inside of it.
Sand the outside of 6-8 pen caps .
Mix about a cup of plaster of paris
Pour into butter tub
Insert pen caps into plaster of paris
Let dry

You need to sand them so that they will have rough edges and the pofp will hold.

The problem you will have now is that some children will try to match the color of the pen to the cap and they never quite match any more. I once used just black pen caps to see what they would do. I love this tool because then I always know if a pen is missing.
i don't care if they don't match, I just want a lid on it. I don't know how many dried out markers we have or I go in a bin and my hand comes out full of marker markings. I do buy my markers for cheap when target has them, they should have them on sale any day.
Tags:art supplies
Reply Up