Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Head Lice
Interested 12:58 PM 08-30-2007
I work for the Orange County health department in Texas. I am getting alot of question about when a child at day care should be sent home if head lice are found. There seem to be several different procedures. Some day care centers send the child home at once and others tell the parents when they come to pick up the child in the evening that they can't come back until
they have been treated. I would appreciate any info you can supply on this question.
jenny b 03:55 PM 11-17-2007
If you have found them in one head there are probably more too so don't send them home just tell all the parents at home time!

Tell them not to buy any special shampoos because we have found they just dont work here!

Get a good comb and conditioner.

Best wishes

Jenny B
naimasluv 03:28 AM 06-09-2008
I have been a school nurse for 7 years. You should have a form letter for all common childhood illnesses to send to parents, in addition to the other suggestions that have been given here. If you have further questions, you can contact me at lumaeagle@hotmail.com.
Unregistered 05:44 AM 09-12-2008
The "Orange County" employee should be fired. You need to learn how to think if you're making decisions about kids. You expect us to believe that you don't know how to send out a letter such as naimasluv describes? It is CommonSense 101.

Only jenny b and naimasluv are legit here--other posts are an attempt to sell crap products.

Plenty of cheap home remedies work: combos of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and mayo; brand-name mouthwash; conditioner slathered on--all picked through with fine-toothed lice combs. Vacuum living areas, throw away vacuum bag. Wash laundry; bag up stuffed animals/plush toys in plastic for a month or so.

Search "lice" and "home remedies" to get tons of ideas. Store-bought doesn't work; only killing the adult lice/nymphs and removing the eggs (nits) and breaking the louse's lifecycle does.

Cheeck out University of Nebraska's cooperative extension info on this subject, and don't get too broke or stressed over this ancient, universal, TEMPORARY problem.
Unregistered 08:08 AM 01-09-2009
Our school nurse has a case of lice gunk. She has dealt with it for years (our son had lice AGAIN this year) and says lots of name-brand stuff is to harsh on sensitive skin--our boy has psoriasis--and she gave us a bottle of it. I highly suggest (at risk of sounding like a spam salesmen: Licenex) it and we don't have to deal with mayonnaise and he doesn't break out all over his scalp.
Tags:lice
Reply Up