Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Been to Court?
dolores 02:17 PM 12-09-2020
Saw a daycare provider suing a parent on Judge Judy.

Mom did not pay for several weeks because she thought provider was negligent. But kept taking her children to provider because she "had no choice"

Provider was awarded less than she sued for because late payment fees were dismissed.

Made me remember the time I almost took a DCM to court. Completed paperwork but the family moved out of state before I could file...Ugh!

I was new, naive, disorganized and overly accommodating at the time which I paid dearly for. Not only with her, but with others.

Watching it made me mad all over again . Even though it was a long time ago.

Any of you took a parent to court or a parent took you?

Did you win? Lose?
Cat Herder 02:20 PM 12-09-2020
There was a provider here who was on Judge Judy and won. I can't remember who it was, though... It has been a while, now.

Mine all paid after a lawyer letter, I never made it to court.
dolores 02:29 PM 12-09-2020
Good for her! Not sure I would want to be broadcasted.
A lawyer letter...I didn't even think of that then.
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 12-09-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
There was a provider here who was on Judge Judy and won. I can't remember who it was, though... It has been a while, now.

Mine all paid after a lawyer letter, I never made it to court.
Her story is in one of these threads

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=judge+judy
Rockgirl 03:02 PM 12-09-2020
I don’t allow children to attend unless parents have paid for the week in advance, so I don’t see myself ever needing to take anyone to court. Seems like a huge hassle!
Pandaluver21 05:55 PM 12-09-2020
I did several years back. She didn't respond to any letters, and one of my other parents was an investigator/attorney, so she set everything up for me. The mom didn't even show up to court, so I won. I ended up hiring a company to get the money for her (they took a percent) but I ended up getting enough that it made it worth it.
Cat Herder 03:41 AM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I don’t allow children to attend unless parents have paid for the week in advance, so I don’t see myself ever needing to take anyone to court. Seems like a huge hassle!
That is what I do now because of the past issues. It used to not be the norm and parents would not do it, they assumed you were sketchy. It was a weird way to do business, IMO.

I don't accept checks. I don't do deposits or two week notices, either. Too much policing. They pay on Mondays, for the week in advance or they don't drop off and their slot is filled from the waiting list. Usually by Tuesday. Easy.
Rockgirl 08:06 AM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That is what I do now because of the past issues. It used to not be the norm and parents would not do it, they assumed you were sketchy. It was a weird way to do business, IMO.

I don't accept checks. I don't do deposits or two week notices, either. Too much policing. They pay on Mondays, for the week in advance or they don't drop off and their slot is filled from the waiting list. Usually by Tuesday. Easy.
No two weeks’ notice here, either. When we’re done, we’re done. Even if it’s abrupt, though it rarely is.
dolores 11:54 AM 12-12-2020
Yep! Learnt the hard way. After 1 too many lessons I switched to monthly billing/payment so I get paid for the month in advance. Payment is non-refundable once made. Haven't had that problem since.
Unregistered 02:57 PM 12-13-2020
I did and it wasn't worth it. I had to pay all sort of legal fees and nothing was done to enforce payment.
Tags:small claims court
Reply Up