Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Payment Doing Home Daycare Good in Ohio?
Unregistered 07:22 AM 06-30-2011
I have been considering leaving my job doing in home daycare for almost a year now. I really love working with children and I have a 2 yr old daughter that I want to be able to be home with as well. So my question to you all who already does daycare out of your home is the payment good enough where you can live comfortably? If any of you don't mind telling about how much do you make a month and how many children do you keep? Thank in advance for any info!
Cat Herder 07:47 AM 06-30-2011
It really depends on your experience level, neighborhood, supplies/equipment/curriculum and the services you can offer.

I'd check around your area into providers who would be offering the same level of service.

That will give you a more accurate picture of your earnings potential.

Good luck, Hun!! This was one of the best decisions I ever made.
momofboys 07:48 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have been considering leaving my job doing in home daycare for almost a year now. I really love working with children and I have a 2 yr old daughter that I want to be able to be home with as well. So my question to you all who already does daycare out of your home is the payment good enough where you can live comfortably? If any of you don't mind telling about how much do you make a month and how many children do you keep? Thank in advance for any info!

It's dependent on a lot of factors - how many children you choose to watch, how much you charge, the demand for childcare in your area, etc. I live in western central Ohio (about 20 min west of Columbus) & on average providers in my area charge anywhere from $15-30/day. There is no way I could live comfortably on that income unless I was watching 5 kids a day & even then it would only be supplementing my husband's income. When I was doing in-home daycare I only had one or two families at a time so the most I ever made in a week was about $300/week.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 06-30-2011
I agree with Catherder. It depends on ALOT of factors.

Here we have daycares closing by the bunches because of poor enrollment while others are starting waiting lists.
SilverSabre25 07:52 AM 06-30-2011
depends entirely on where you are. If you're near Columbus, I wouldn't do it right now if I were you because we are WAY over-saturated with providers--many of whom offer very cheap care. If you're sticking within the laws (no more than 6 kids including your own, and no more than 3 of those under age 2) and charging something reasonable (I charge $120/week for full-time), you will have a hard time around here.

I don't know about other parts of OH; you might want to check your local Craigslist childcare listings for an idea of how many providers are in your exact area.
Tags:new provider, opening a child care, rates - fair and reasonable
Reply Up