Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providers With Their Own Newborns?
KEG123 11:29 AM 07-11-2011
I don't know that I have a specific question but I would like those with newborns to give me a run down of how their days go. I guess really this could go for all providers who've cared for a newborn, not necessarily their own. However, I do plan to take only two weeks off. Currently I have my own 3 year old son (3.5 when baby comes), an 19 month old full timer (will be close to 2 when baby comes), and 2 part time twins who will move to full time in August, who will be a little over 2.5 when baby comes. Luckily I won't have two littles at the same time, because I really want to be able to give a lot of attention to the baby.

Anyways, my dbf is concerned I won't be able to handle it all. He's already saying things like "We better get a new tv for the daycare area in case you need to keep the kids out of your hair while you tend to the baby" which I kind of think is a good idea. We don't watch tv at all right now, but I think once in a while isn't really a bad thing. It would be something kid friendly of course, probably a dvd of sesame street or blues clues or the like.

And while I am not necessarily stressed out thinking about it, thoughts have popped into my head of "well what if I'm nursing the baby, and so and so needs me to do this..." or "What if the baby starts crying while I'm cooking breakfast/lunch..."

So help me out ladies. Give me your experiences with having a newborn + daycare.
Mom_of_two 11:51 AM 07-11-2011
It works out.

I think it is hard to address hypothetical's, but good to be prepared.

I find newborns/ infants that are not yet mobile actually easier than those that move around-lol!! You can put baby in a bouncy in the kitchen while you prep meals. Feed and change baby prior to doing tasks that might take more time.
And baby will sleep frequently during the day. My daughters (2 and 4 this week) had their days and nights mixed up for the first 2-3 months!

For me personally, I would not do something that is not comfortable for what you want for your daycare because you are anxious. I do not do TV during the day after 8:30 when our friends arrive (my girls watch it prior) and I will not add that in, even on a bad day. If it is something you are fine with that is different, but for me it is best not to use TV at all. I think it has the potential of becoming a slippery slope (you may use it way more than you intend.)

Good luck!! With everything there is an adjustment and learning curve- get through those first couple weeks and it will be just fine!!
SilverSabre25 12:05 PM 07-11-2011
Well, first and foremost, I have to admit that I have a dream baby who sleeps like a log most of the time and he honestly has slept through the night pretty much since birth. Unless I have eaten something that doesn't agree with him (dairy, possibly something else that I haven't quite tracked yet) he isn't even a fusser, much.

I have a Moby Wrap that I put him in if he's fussy while I'm getting lunch or snacks or while we're outside, etc. I'm making the simplest meals and snacks that I can. For the most part, baby seems to be getting on a schedule of sleeping while I'm prepping things, and for that I am truly grateful. I also do as much prep as I can the night before. If he cries while I'm doing lunch or snacks, he cries. If he cries too hard/too long, I pick him up and do what I can one-handed, or put him in the Moby, or give a quick cuddle to settle him a bit and set him down again.

If someone needs something while the baby is nursing, they either wait (if it can wait) or baby gets pulled off the breast and laid on the couch while I deal with the situation. He doesn't usually mind (much) and I'm lucky that I have a group that responds VERY well to my voice.

Naptime is sacred. My DD doesn't nap but I did start enforcing quiet time in her room with the door shut. I put my laptop in her room and stream things from Netflix and she stays in there unless she needs my help (to turn on another show, to fix it if the 'net lost connection, etc.). I insist that she watch either a movie or two one-hour shows. ALL DCKs NAP. NO EXCEPTIONS. During naptime, I snuggle the baby, eat my own lunch, put my feet up, give baby a good long nurse on both sides, and watch grown-up TV (currently watching SeaQuest DSV. I love Netflix Streaming...).

I haven't used TV at all for the bigs; haven't needed it.

Overall, this is MUCH smoother than I expected. My best advice is to have a bouncy seat just for taking outside with you in warm weather, have a good wrap/carrier that you and baby like (Moby is awesome for wee ones!), and by all that's holy, in those first two weeks, make sure you get nursing 100% sorted out. Any latch issues, possible tongue tie, possible food issues...anything. Get it sorted out early.
Crazy8 12:18 PM 07-11-2011
I had my 2nd and 3rd children while doing daycare. Took only 2 weeks off for each of them also. It does all work out!!

I told parents towards the end of my pregnancy that we may resort to some tv if they wanted me to work up until I delivered but really, we rarely needed it. The kids were able to play happily on the floor the same way they would have watched tv.

Overall you will just get into a routine with the new baby, just like if it was a daycare baby. Having a sling/carrier will help to free your hands for the other ones too.
CheekyChick 12:30 PM 07-11-2011
Personally, I think you will be fine. It may be hard the first month or two, but I think it will be no different then when you start a newborn. You'll do great!!!
AnneCordelia 12:50 PM 07-11-2011
A sling was a godsend for me!! My 4th baby is now 10 months old and super-easy but he wasn't always. For the first 3 months he was up every 1.5-2 hours in the night and it left me a zombie. I had to make priorities....make sure everyone is fed, changed and rested...and everything else was 'fly by the seat of my pants'. I didn't do any themes or curriculum work during that time. We didn't do any extra field trips (although getting out makes you feel human).

Once he turned 3 months things started to really fall into place and now it's easy.
spud912 01:34 PM 07-11-2011
I started daycare when my dd was 5-6 weeks old. My time off was extremely stressful for many reasons (I just had a baby, we had just moved prior to having the baby and I was still unpacking, juggling her older sister who was only 19 months old at the time, prepping for the daycare, quitting my job and starting a new one that I was unsure of, etc.). Once daycare started, I felt like all of the changes were complete and I could finally settle down into my new life, so it was almost a relief!

Nursing went really well (and still does!). I found that tv was not necessary at all and the kids never felt the need to be entertained while I was tending to the baby's needs. They were actually very curious about me "feeding the baby" and enjoyed how relaxed it made me! The lack of sleep did do a number on me because my dd had her days and nights mixed up for months. It's not that she would wake up frequently, but instead she would wake up wired and stay up for 4 hours at a time in the middle of the night! There were times that I had to just get used to hearing her cry because I had to tend to other things. I definitely held her less than my other daughter, but I think in a way it was good for her because she started rolling over and crawling much sooner.

My advice? I personally would use a nursing cover to prevent unwanted attention from the older kids. I also would not take any other babies until your little one is older. Baby carriers are great for walks and going outside, but being that I am on my feet the majority of the time, carrying my dd was too much weight on my back and I limited it. Bouncers and the Bumbo chair (when my dd was older) were my godsend. I also think that a Superyard is great because it's easily transportable and it will separate the older children from your baby. I've caught the older children trying to pick up my dd on a few occasions, so it is essential to teach them to keep their space. Also expect that you will frequently not get nap time breaks. My dd had the opposite schedule of the other children (asleep when they were awake, awake during their nap time).
KEG123 01:41 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Well, first and foremost, I have to admit that I have a dream baby who sleeps like a log most of the time and he honestly has slept through the night pretty much since birth. Unless I have eaten something that doesn't agree with him (dairy, possibly something else that I haven't quite tracked yet) he isn't even a fusser, much.

I have a Moby Wrap that I put him in if he's fussy while I'm getting lunch or snacks or while we're outside, etc. I'm making the simplest meals and snacks that I can. For the most part, baby seems to be getting on a schedule of sleeping while I'm prepping things, and for that I am truly grateful. I also do as much prep as I can the night before. If he cries while I'm doing lunch or snacks, he cries. If he cries too hard/too long, I pick him up and do what I can one-handed, or put him in the Moby, or give a quick cuddle to settle him a bit and set him down again.

If someone needs something while the baby is nursing, they either wait (if it can wait) or baby gets pulled off the breast and laid on the couch while I deal with the situation. He doesn't usually mind (much) and I'm lucky that I have a group that responds VERY well to my voice.

Naptime is sacred. My DD doesn't nap but I did start enforcing quiet time in her room with the door shut. I put my laptop in her room and stream things from Netflix and she stays in there unless she needs my help (to turn on another show, to fix it if the 'net lost connection, etc.). I insist that she watch either a movie or two one-hour shows. ALL DCKs NAP. NO EXCEPTIONS. During naptime, I snuggle the baby, eat my own lunch, put my feet up, give baby a good long nurse on both sides, and watch grown-up TV (currently watching SeaQuest DSV. I love Netflix Streaming...).

I haven't used TV at all for the bigs; haven't needed it.

Overall, this is MUCH smoother than I expected. My best advice is to have a bouncy seat just for taking outside with you in warm weather, have a good wrap/carrier that you and baby like (Moby is awesome for wee ones!), and by all that's holy, in those first two weeks, make sure you get nursing 100% sorted out. Any latch issues, possible tongue tie, possible food issues...anything. Get it sorted out early.
Yes, I have a moby-type carrier and LOVED it with my son. I have a feeling DD will LIVE in the moby. LOL And yes, sometimes my son naps, sometimes not, so I really need to get him to learn how to "Shhhh! The baby is sleeping!!" lol

Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Personally, I think you will be fine. It may be hard the first month or two, but I think it will be no different then when you start a newborn. You'll do great!!!
And I've only been doing daycare since the beginning of May... so the only newborn I really have interacted with (at least recently) is my own son 3 years ago. Plus, then it was just him and me, not him, me and 3-4 other kids.

Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
A sling was a godsend for me!! My 4th baby is now 10 months old and super-easy but he wasn't always. For the first 3 months he was up every 1.5-2 hours in the night and it left me a zombie. I had to make priorities....make sure everyone is fed, changed and rested...and everything else was 'fly by the seat of my pants'. I didn't do any themes or curriculum work during that time. We didn't do any extra field trips (although getting out makes you feel human).

Once he turned 3 months things started to really fall into place and now it's easy.
And this is why I worry a bit too. My son was a round the clock nurser. Didn't bother me then because I didn't work and so we just slept in if we needed to. Basically, I napped when he did. This time, it won't be so easy! Maybe weekends if I'm lucky! lol Hopefully she likes to sleep more than my son did...

And thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not TOO worried, but just a little since this is not only my second child, but the first child to be raised in a daycare setting.
mom2many 02:46 PM 07-11-2011
I started my daycare when my oldest was just 6 weeks old and took 2 weeks off when I had both of my other two. They were all about 2-3 years apart. I actually found it was easier with my older ones having playmates for them to play with when I had a newborn to care for.
cheerfuldom 03:05 PM 07-11-2011
I have a 9 week old right now. I put her on a routine from day one and she's responded really well to that. I time her feedings to happen when the kids are occupied or napping so for now, she is almost always sleeping when they are up and vice versa. Keeps the germs and whatnot at bay. I will say that she is easier than my older two were but the routine and good habits from day one are so helping. I basically do the Baby Whisperer's "eat, play, sleep" methods and that has worked pretty well. I do babywear if necessary and everyone continues the lesson of waiting their turn. Sometimes even the baby has to be put down or wait but she'll live. My older two did and everything worked out fine!
KatieNK 07:01 PM 07-11-2011
Well I don't have a daycare but when my baby was born, my twins were 14 months old and what was a HUGE lifesaver to me was putting the baby in a sling! At first I used a ring sling and then moved to a more structured sling, but the main point was just wearing her made tending to the older kids a million times easier! I could even nurse her in there and have my hands free! Not that you can nurse a baby and run after a two year old at the same time, lol. GL!
christinaskids 05:23 AM 07-12-2011
I am worried about breastfeeding with the next one. For some reason my milk supply diminished greatly unless I pumped so hooking myself up to a pump every 2-3 hours is a concern for me. I had a really good pump too but I am constantly doing something, or a kid is getting into something or the younger ones arent getting along. How did that work out for you guys?
SilverSabre25 05:37 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by christinaskids:
I am worried about breastfeeding with the next one. For some reason my milk supply diminished greatly unless I pumped so hooking myself up to a pump every 2-3 hours is a concern for me. I had a really good pump too but I am constantly doing something, or a kid is getting into something or the younger ones arent getting along. How did that work out for you guys?
If what you're concerned about is your supply, and maybe keeping a good supply without needing to pump, check out kellymom. DRINK WATER!!! Another suggestion is to take/eat galactagogues--things that increase your milk supply. Oatmeal, fenugreek...these are the two I see mentioned most often.
KatieNK 06:00 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by christinaskids:
Well, how do you know that your supply diminished? What made you think that?
KEG123 06:18 AM 07-12-2011
Thanks everyone. So basically my predicion is correct, my baby will live in the Moby. Haha! Not that it bothers me, but hopefully she likes it in there. I never got the hang of nursing DS in the moby, so maybe we'll have to practice more this time around.
KatieNK 09:30 AM 07-12-2011
If she doesn't like it, try all different holds or even different type of slings and if that doesn't work, just keep trying every week or so. Lots of babies actually don't like the sling (even though they want to be held) but grow into it.
Ariana 11:35 AM 07-12-2011
Great post!! I've been thinking about having #2 and these questions always come up in my mind so this has been great. In a lot of ways having play-mates for my daughter will be much better than having to deal with her and a newborn on my own

sorry to hijack the thread but....For those of you that breastfed, what did you do for privacy? Or did you just do it right there with the kids around etc? I had an easy BF experience the first time around so wanted to do it again with a 2nd but with a newborn nursing every 2-3 hours I'm not sure how to go about it. I hate pumping!!!
PolarCare 12:41 PM 07-12-2011
They're big, and come in every color and pattern you can think of. They're handy for about a billion different things, they're light and let a lot of air through, and they're big enough that they really cover any skin that anyone might see. They're easy to tuck in to your clothes, brastraps, etc, if you have to nurse while walking around or doing something else. They wash up and dry nicely and are cheap. Plus you can use them later after baby is no longer nursing.

I tried flannel receiving blankets initially but my daughter has IBS and if she gets too hot, she gets explosive blowout diarreah. You can imagine how exciting that was during breastfeeding, because of course they get warmed up then. Poo Poo Grenade!
SilverSabre25 12:44 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Great post!! I've been thinking about having #2 and these questions always come up in my mind so this has been great. In a lot of ways having play-mates for my daughter will be much better than having to deal with her and a newborn on my own

sorry to hijack the thread but....For those of you that breastfed, what did you do for privacy? Or did you just do it right there with the kids around etc? I had an easy BF experience the first time around so wanted to do it again with a 2nd but with a newborn nursing every 2-3 hours I'm not sure how to go about it. I hate pumping!!!
I just nurse with everyone around. After the first few days when the group was learning, "We do NOT touch the baby!", few of them even seem to notice that he's here. They barely look at him and not a single child has asked about what I'm doing while I'm feeding him. If they do, "I'm feeding the baby" is the simple answer.

The nursing tank tops from Target are my friends, though. They feel a bit bulky and warm under summer shirts, but not exposing my whole ugly tummy while nursing is a godsend. I don't worry much about exposure unless it's near pick-up time; near pick-up time I try to arrange my shirt all nice and pretty so not even the tank is showing.
KEG123 01:19 PM 07-12-2011
I don't plan to do anything different nurisng wise around the littles. I mean, to a certain extent I'll keep as covered as possible (Not gonna let it all hang out, lol) but they're little, they're going to be interested in what the baby is doing, and IMO especially if baby is covered up.
Tags:infant - behavior, infant - safety, infant - sleeping issues, provider - own child
Reply Up