Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Time & Vacation
JennyBear 11:05 AM 10-12-2011
What does everyone do regarding their Vacation/Sick Time (When a child is sick or on Vacation with their family). Do you charge full rate? half rate? nothing?
Do you charge parents when you're on vacation or sick?

My contract now states that vacation and sick time will be paid at half rate but someone is always away or sick and I'm loosing money. I'm spending money on good food and a preschool curriculum for these children and think I should revise my contract to state that all children's time off should be paid at full rate.
When I have to close the daycare b/c I'm sick or on vacation (or my daughter is sick) I have it set up that I do not receive any pay for that day, I also don't get paid for my vacation time. but I do get paid for stats (full rate)

Before I do this, I would like some other opinions.

Thanks
GotKids 12:06 PM 10-12-2011
I charge by the week and only have full-timers. If they are sick they still need to pay. I do not charge for vacation time IF I am given 2 weeks notice. Rarely do I have a parent take vacation and I have never had an issue over payment when their children are sick.
caligirl 12:46 PM 10-12-2011
The only time they don't have to pay me is if I take a vacation day. If I am open, they pay whether their child is here or not, for whatever reason. And I do get paid for holidays.
Unregistered 12:49 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by JennyBear:
What does everyone do regarding their Vacation/Sick Time (When a child is sick or on Vacation with their family). Do you charge full rate? half rate? nothing?
Do you charge parents when you're on vacation or sick?

My contract now states that vacation and sick time will be paid at half rate but someone is always away or sick and I'm loosing money. I'm spending money on good food and a preschool curriculum for these children and think I should revise my contract to state that all children's time off should be paid at full rate.
When I have to close the daycare b/c I'm sick or on vacation (or my daughter is sick) I have it set up that I do not receive any pay for that day, I also don't get paid for my vacation time. but I do get paid for stats (full rate)

Before I do this, I would like some other opinions.

Thanks
I charge for when daycare kids are sick, and when on vacation. For my sick/personal days I charge I do not ask to be paid for my week vacation thou as I know parents have to pay someone else while I am away and thats what I feel comfortable with doing.
Unregistered 12:49 PM 10-12-2011
Same rate all year, payable weekly or monthly regardless of their vacation/sick days or mine. My vacation days are given each Dec for the following year so they can plan. Rarely if ever do I close due to illness or emergency but if I do, I am paid. One rate all year always, so much easier -
MommieNana4 05:21 PM 10-12-2011
In my contract, I charge when the kids are sick or just not here. They are paying for the slot. Also, parents pay when on their vacation (up to 2 weeks). I can take two weeks of vacation...one paid and one unpaid. I normally take one week vacation (paid).
Ariana 06:35 PM 10-12-2011
I charge for DCK sick days and my own up to 5 days. If I'm sick more than 5 days the missed days are free.

I don't charge for my own vacation but I charge for theirs.
Tags:rates - fair and reasonable, sick days, vacation pay
Reply Up