Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going to the Zoo.....Gonna be HOT!!!! :(
Christina72684 06:31 AM 06-16-2014
We're going to the Indy Zoo tomorrow with 10 kids and 7 babies and it's supposed to be 91 degrees and very humid :/ At first it was gonna thunderstorm but not anymore thank goodness. We went last year and it was pretty warm but not as hot and humid as they're predicting. Luckily there is a splash pad where the kids can get wet and play, but I'm really worried about the rest of the time.

Any tips/tricks on stuff to bring to keep the kids cool? (And adults bc my mom had a heat stroke when she was younger and doesn't do well in the heat) We have one fan that blows water but might get more tonight. I hate to reschedule since so many parents took the day off but I'm so worried about the kids.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
We're going to the Indy Zoo tomorrow with 10 kids and 7 babies and it's supposed to be 91 degrees and very humid :/ At first it was gonna thunderstorm but not anymore thank goodness. We went last year and it was pretty warm but not as hot and humid as they're predicting. Luckily there is a splash pad where the kids can get wet and play, but I'm really worried about the rest of the time.

Any tips/tricks on stuff to bring to keep the kids cool? (And adults bc my mom had a heat stroke when she was younger and doesn't do well in the heat) We have one fan that blows water but might get more tonight. I hate to reschedule since so many parents took the day off but I'm so worried about the kids.
I hate to be a wet blanket, but honestly...I'd reschedule.

Especially since you are bringing babies. They have no real way of sweating and self cooling or communicating to you that they feel hot.

I would be too concerned about dehydration and heat stroke.

Maybe cancel the trip for the babies and noncommunicators but still take the older ones.

That is probably the route I would go.
LysesKids 07:01 AM 06-16-2014
i would reschedule.. My dd almost died on a day like this because the daycare center refused to reschedule a trip and she got severely ill ( no AC on bus either where they put her after throwing up); part of reason I started my own childcare
SquirrellyMama 08:12 AM 06-16-2014
We went to the Omaha Zoo on a day it was 107 degrees. My kids were 4 months, 2 years and 4 at the time. We did fine with plenty of water, water sprayers around the zoo and all the inside exhibits with a/c.

What is the Indy zoo like? Do they have indoor exhibits. If not, I wouldn't risk it.

It looks like next Monday is going to be nice in your area with 78 degrees and partly cloudy. That would be a good day to reschedule. Might be hard for parents to take off again, though.

What a bummer. Sorry.

Kelly
sugar buzz 09:30 AM 06-16-2014
I'm in Noblesville, so I'll be suffering with you. Can you get there right at 9:00, when they open and leave after lunch? The early morning hours shouldn't be as bad as the afternoon. You could also take a break in the Dolphin show or chill out on the train. The Fort Wayne Zoo is also an idea for future fieldtrips. I know it takes longer to get there, but it's really accessible for little kids and most of it's in the shade. Good luck!
Christina72684 09:38 AM 06-16-2014
We will be there when the doors open at 9am, do inside/outside/inside/outside so they have chances to cool off, are doing the train, playing in the water park, and watching the indoor cool Dolphin show at 12:30. After that we're eating a quick lunch and gone by 1:30ish so at least we won't be there during the hottest part of the day. Next year we'll go in May or sometime cooler since I won't be doing after school care then, but this year the kids were in school till June 6 so we didn't have a lot of options.
sugar buzz 09:46 AM 06-16-2014
See, I think that sounds perfect. You'll be leaving before that unbearable 2-4 period. Have fun!
SquirrellyMama 09:52 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
See, I think that sounds perfect. You'll be leaving before that unbearable 2-4 period. Have fun!
Sounds like a good plan.

Kelly
MotherNature 10:02 AM 06-16-2014
Should be totally fine during those hours. You can always start in the plains since it tends to be the hottest, next to the deserts, but I don't know if desert is back open yet since the orangutans are done. That splash pad is great as well. I would just start off in the plains and work your way back to oceans at the exit. That way, as itgets hotter, you're in the a/c.
skybluepink02 11:18 AM 06-16-2014
I live in Georgia, where summers are just unpleasantly hot all the time. We plan everything in the mornings. Once it hits 1, we are done with outside till 6 or so. So I think your morning plan sounds like a good one.
CraftyMom 12:07 PM 06-16-2014
Sounds like you have it planned well. Just keep an eye on everyone and call it quits if need be
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 06-16-2014
We will be there when the doors open at 9am, do inside/outside/inside/outside so they have chances to cool off, are doing the train, playing in the water park, and watching the indoor cool Dolphin show at 12:30. After that we're eating a quick lunch and gone by 1:30ish so at least we won't be there during the hottest part of the day. Next year we'll go in May or sometime cooler since I won't be doing after school care then, but this year the kids were in school till June 6 so we didn't have a lot of options.
Sounds like you have your bases covered then.

Plus you can always leave if it appears that anyone looks like they are over heating.

I love hot weather but can see how it can be hard with littles. Maybe a trip in May next year like you said will not be so much trouble.

Bring water bottles, and lots of things to help the kids stay hydrated. Gatorade maybe or something similar. Frozen fruit etc..
SignMeUp 12:18 PM 06-16-2014
And if you're taking a cooler, you could put some wet washcloths in baggies in there. You could wipe down the babies every little while to cool them by evaporation. Make sure they don't get too hot in any stroller seat - some enclose them so much that they hold in the heat.
Christina72684 06:02 AM 06-18-2014
We got so lucky! It really wasn't that hot! I mean it was according to the temps, but there was a nice breeze the whole time and lots of shade. The splash pad definitely helped too! The biggest problem was having so many people. We wanted to keep everyone together in one group but the people in front were a little fast and the people in back were a little slow lol

Oh....and one big lesson learned for next year: go on a Friday! I did NOT want to wake up this morning lol
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 06-18-2014
We got so lucky! It really wasn't that hot! I mean it was according to the temps, but there was a nice breeze the whole time and lots of shade. The splash pad definitely helped too! The biggest problem was having so many people. We wanted to keep everyone together in one group but the people in front were a little fast and the people in back were a little slow lol

Oh....and one big lesson learned for next year: go on a Friday! I did NOT want to wake up this morning lol
Sounds like you all had a ton of fun though!!

I wish there was a zoo in my community. The nearest one worth seeing is atleast 3.5 hours away.

Maybe next time you could separate everyone up into smaller groups with times to meet up and do head counts and check ins every 2 hours or so.

I would also definitely plan it for a Friday too... Field trips ALWAYS wear me out!

Glad you all had a good time!
CraftyMom 06:47 AM 06-18-2014

Glad you guys had fun!
Reply Up