Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What’s Your Parent Pet Peeve? Or Things You Love?
cheerfuldom 08:18 AM 07-09-2011
Obviously the big stuff like non-pays are beyond a pet peeve but what little things do you hate? Just a spot to vent and have a laugh most likely. Secondly, what do you LOVE that a parent has done for you?

*I HATE when parents blame EVERYTHING on teething! Oh man, I had a parent once that responded this way to everything their child did. Had a blowout diaper, must be teething, smacked some other kid, must be teething, ran out into the street, must be teething

*I LOVE it when the parents pick up a little early on Fridays. Even 10 or 15 minutes is just so awesome. I have a few parents that do that on a regular basis and what a treat to start my weekend early. Even just showing up on time on a Friday is a treat!
Hunni Bee 08:38 AM 07-09-2011
*I hate when parents try to pick apart or push the limits on every single policy you have. "whats wrong with my kid wearing sandals?" "can he finish his chicken nuggets - he'll cry if I take them" "why can't i bring her at 12:30? you still get paid regardless, right??"

*I love when parents tell me how I'm all their kid talks about at home
pfund2233 08:52 AM 07-09-2011
** I dislike when parents stay 30+ minitues at drop offs or pick ups.

** I like it when parents tell me thank you and that they don't know what they would do with out me.
Zoe 09:15 AM 07-09-2011
*My pet peeve is when they drop off early and I'm not quite ready for the day. It's not unusually early, but just enough that I get annoyed by it.

*I love it when they are so flexible with you and respect you enough to follow your policy with NO reminders. Makes it so easy!
TBird 09:48 AM 07-09-2011
*(Aside from non-payers) My pet peeve is when I get a parent who is ungrateful and overbearing and their child is perfectly happy with me. I offer my services...they are more than welcome to move on.

*I love five things:
Aside from one Pet Peever who is leaving the country next month, I have all great parents...thank God for them!!!
cheerfuldom 10:27 AM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
*(Aside from non-payers) My pet peeve is when I get a parent who is ungrateful and overbearing and their child is perfectly happy with me. I offer my services...they are more than welcome to move on.

*I love five things:
  • I love when the kids do a project and the parents show the appropriate amount of awe and make a huge deal about it
  • When they tell me that their child says "I love Miss T" or that their child loves it and is soooooo happy here
  • I love when they have an unexpected day off and are more than happy to spend it with their child (and have no problem with me still getting paid for the day)
  • I love when they pick up early and I'm done way before I expected
  • I love when they run after me with their checkbooks all flustered trying to make sure I get paid early or on time

Aside from one Pet Peever who is leaving the country next month, I have all great parents...thank God for them!!!
So how exactly do you get an annoying parent kicked out of the country? share your secret please
PitterPatter 10:40 AM 07-09-2011
* I hate when they use allergies as an excuse for every illness!
* I hate when they are unapreciative and have the entitled attitude!

* I love when the kids want to stay with me more than go home (makes me feel better after being unapreciated by DCP
* I love hugs!
sharlan 10:53 AM 07-09-2011
I hate when parents allow their angels to disrespect my neighbors' property.
I hate when parents show that they really don't want to be involved in their children's lives.

(Our jobs would be so much easier without many of the parents.)

I love seeing my kids in the store and having them run up to hug and kiss me.
I love seeing the smiles on my sleeping kids faces, knowing they feel secure.
I love the parents who drop off a "treat" to say they care.
TBird 11:00 AM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
So how exactly do you get an annoying parent kicked out of the country? share your secret please
HAAAAAAAA!!!

Actually, the DCB and his mom are here on a 6 month Visa. And it's not just me....the family they are staying with are ready for them to leave TOO!!! The uncle just recently asked me to keep the little boy until 8PM because the house full of ADULTS can't handle him and his overprotective mother. I told him "Um no...if that were the case then he might as well move in with me!" ROTFLMBO...you can't make this stuff up!!!
littlemissmuffet 08:56 PM 07-09-2011
I HATE it when parents lie. I always know. It could be anything from why they are late to having no idea that little Johnny wasn't feeling well... when he's pale, red-eyed, feverish and on the verge of puking at drop-off...
Honesty is a REQUIREMENT here.

I don't like it when parents say things like "Have a nice day off" or something similar when their child will not be in attendance when the daycare will still be open and I obviously have several other children to tend to!

I also don't like it when parents blame every little thing on teething or allergies!

With that being said, I have a really great group of parents right now... and I really have no complaints about any of them!

ALL of my parents say "thank you" every single drop-off and pick-up - which is the perfect beginning and end to all of my days!

ALL of my parents ask how I am each morning and seem to genuinely care. This is also very pleasant and welcome.

ALL of my parents pay on time... or even early.

ALL of my parents tell me they love me - and they love the quality care I provide. This is super motivating and makes me feel great!

I like that my parents recommend me to all their family and friends (we have a huge waiting list because of this) even when they know I am full!

I have one mom/dad who buy my husband and I "thank you" cards and periodically give us gift cards for "dates" (dinners, movies, etc). These are infanitly appreciated!

I have one mom who buys me make-up and other little treats every once in awhile, 'just because' - which is endlessly appreciated.

ALL of my parents have invited my husband and I to their homes for BBQs, trips to the cabin, etc... we always decline, however, because I don't believe in mixing business with pleasure like that - but the offers are always appreciated.

Like I said, I can't complain!
youretooloud 09:21 PM 07-09-2011
I hate the teething excuse too.

I hate when they toddlers go through that "if you open the pantry, you surely must want to get another snack out for me" so, they sit at the table and yell "YAY!" <--OK, that's not actually a parent thing.

I love that the parents all appreciate me.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE when they tag me on facebook in a picture of their kids doing something on the weekend, just because they know I like it.
CheekyChick 06:44 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Obviously the big stuff like non-pays are beyond a pet peeve but what little things do you hate? Just a spot to vent and have a laugh most likely. Secondly, what do you LOVE that a parent has done for you?

*I HATE when parents blame EVERYTHING on teething! Oh man, I had a parent once that responded this way to everything their child did. Had a blowout diaper, must be teething, smacked some other kid, must be teething, ran out into the street, must be teething

*I LOVE it when the parents pick up a little early on Fridays. Even 10 or 15 minutes is just so awesome. I have a few parents that do that on a regular basis and what a treat to start my weekend early. Even just showing up on time on a Friday is a treat!
I HATE when parents disregard my PH and allow their children to bring food, toys, sippy cups. I also hate when they don't pay on time.

I LOVE when I am thanked. It rarely happens, but it warms my heart when someone appreciates how hard myself and my staff work.
PolarCare 10:18 PM 07-10-2011
My rates and schedule are disclosed before interviews can be set up. This is to avoid situations where someone is wasting my time or I am wasting theirs.

I also have a questionairre that I have potential clients fill out for each person who might be picking up their child. There is a reason for this. Several good reasons actually. This is my home.

So before I conduct any interviews, I know several things about a family. What they do. Where they live. What their work schedule is like.

It really roasts me when someone comes to an interview after I have submitted my very simple rate schedule, and after I have seen that they live in a half million dollar home, and then tries the old "I can only afford $50 a day and I need full time care for all 4 kids". OR "I have to work 2 weekends a month and daycare dad can't watch them. He's writing his thesis!"

This after pulling up in a new SUV, drinking a $5 coffee, with $100 sunglasses on, wearing $130 shoes. I'm not knocking parents who do any of those things, but really? Your idea of a good area to cut costs is the care of your kids? Because I'd skip a coffee a day and chip in a little more on the quality of my child's 12 hour environment.

I LOVE it when parents tip. I work my ass off, and this is a job. Every once in a while, nothing says "Thanks" and "I get it" like $50 cash. Bonuses are nice, and it does make me think better of my families.
PitterPatter 04:09 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by PolarCare:

This after pulling up in a new SUV, drinking a $5 coffee, with $100 sunglasses on, wearing $130 shoes. I'm not knocking parents who do any of those things, but really? Your idea of a good area to cut costs is the care of your kids? Because I'd skip a coffee a day and chip in a little more on the quality of my child's 12 hour environment.
The only thing worse than this is when it's a family on welfare that is getting free daycare already and complains about paying $2.00 a day! AND they still have every luxury even more than I do!
AfterSchoolMom 05:23 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by :
I LOVE it when parents tip. I work my ass off, and this is a job. Every once in a while, nothing says "Thanks" and "I get it" like $50 cash. Bonuses are nice, and it does make me think better of my families.
Wow, I've never had that happen once.

Late payment is my biggest issue, and so is my biggest pet peeve. However, next is when the "extras" aren't appreciated - like when I go out of my way to give gifts at Christmas time to both parents and kids, or to make a really fun holiday party or an outing, and don't get even so much as a thank you in return.

I love when parents follow the rules.
I love when they respect me.
I love when they pick up on time.
I love when the kids don't want to go home.
I love when they're all getting along and we get into a good "rythym".
I LOVE it when someone recommends me to another family!
squareone 05:24 AM 07-11-2011
-I hate hate hate late pickups - even if it is just 2 minutes. Especially if they don't call until AFTER they were supposed to be here - that's IF they even call at all.

-LOVE when my daycare kids see me out in public and they run up to me and hug me and tell me they can't wait to come back to my house.
Cat Herder 05:53 AM 07-11-2011
* I dislike it when they continue talking on their cellphone the entire drop-off AND pick-up without greeting/saying goodbye to me OR their child. This happens WAY too often here. Hand signals are not appropriate communication in this setting.

* I like it when parents are proactive and tell me of any issues they are having at home with their child. It gives me a headstart on how to manage it before it becomes an issue here, too. Every now and again, I may even be able to help end it all together.
MarinaVanessa 06:46 AM 07-11-2011
I LOVE

My Peeves
Unregistered 10:36 AM 07-11-2011
Amen to that, I had a client that blamed everything on teething also . Esp if her boy was misbehaving! Another thing that bugs me is if I cant reach a parent if a child is sick or they take forever to get her. One time I had a sick child and it was 2 hours until the child was p/u. One thing I love is when they show/say how much they appreciate me. Just this morning one of my Dads said " your the best". Now Im not trying to pat my own back its just nice to here once in a while!
Christian Mother 01:20 PM 07-11-2011
I absolutely love when parents are appreciative of the care that I give there little ones. They show it in the Thank You's, Little gifts they give me, How excited they are in seeing the art activities they bring home. Sometimes I get text messages with thanks you's from the other parent which wasn't at pick up expressing thanks...that is just sooo nice!!

My biggest pet peeve I think is late pick ups...I am a person who likes to keep to a schedule and it drives me nutz when a parent is late specially if I hadn't gotten a call. Disrespect is def. a pet peeve also.
MamaBear 01:33 PM 07-11-2011
I HATE:

----------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE:

SilverSabre25 01:36 PM 07-11-2011
peeve: not calling to let me know of schedule changes

perk: being able to communicate honestly and openly about problems/issues/etc and have the parent not only listen, but take to heart, what I have to say. I love parents being on board about issues and working on them at home, whether it's potty training or biting or whatever!
daycare 01:40 PM 07-11-2011
I love:
When a parent respects my advice and is willing to help out with the problems that their child may have here at care. Or when child makes me a picture at home.

I dislike:
When parents feel as though I am at their service for everything their child needs becuase they pay me. Like getting told that I have to wipe a 5 year old childs bottom becuase that is what they pay me to do!!!!
MarinaVanessa 04:48 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Like getting told that I have to wipe a 5 year old childs bottom becuase that is what they pay me to do!!!!
Say Whuh?!
daycare 05:02 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Say Whuh?!
yup you read that right.... I had a parent tell me this before.... hints the word HAD, as that family is no longer here.....
LittleLambs 01:59 PM 07-12-2011
I hate when parents are rude, come in talking on their cells, wake up nappers and try to push limits on contract policies

I love when parents are responsible about bringing in diapers, wipies etc. and when the kiddos ask me if they can stay and live with me
nannyde 03:43 PM 07-12-2011
I dislike:
When parents feel as though I am at their service for everything their child needs becuase they pay me. Like getting told that I have to wipe a 5 year old childs bottom becuase that is what they pay me to do!!!!
I have an ap for that.

"Oh excellent. You want my butt wiping service too? That will be 20 dollars per wipe. How many times a day does he poop?" Cha Ching
daycare 03:46 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have an ap for that.

"Oh excellent. You want my butt wiping service too? That will be 20 dollars per wipe. How many times a day does he poop?" Cha Ching
lmao .... ok Nan this might sound creepy, but I had a dream about you last night..

I was dreaming that I was looking to hire a person for my DC. And in walked you... yeah it was a drem cuz I know that would never happen!!!
nannyde 03:55 PM 07-12-2011
lmao .... ok Nan this might sound creepy, but I had a dream about you last night..

I was dreaming that I was looking to hire a person for my DC. And in walked you... yeah it was a drem cuz I know that would never happen!!!
Well did I get the job?

I've had people tell me that before. It cracks me up.
daycare 03:57 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Well did I get the job?

I've had people tell me that before. It cracks me up.
lol I don't know... I got woken up by a wrong phone number about 2 am..

I just remember in my dream that i was so excited that I had to call my husband to tell him that you were at my house for an interveiw.......then the phone rang and the dream was over.....lol
Tags:parent - unrealistic expectations, peeve, pet peeve
Reply Up