Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Daycare Rates
awestbrook713 09:59 AM 09-13-2011
Is there a website I can research average daycare rates for this year and the state of New York. I have search online but can't seem to find a good site.
daycare 10:04 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
Is there a website I can research average daycare rates for this year and the state of New York. I have search online but can't seem to find a good site.
In my state every two years LIC does a survey on dc rate by zip code. Maybe you can call licensing and see if they have one.

otherwise what I would do is call all of the local daycares and preschools in your area to find out what kind of program they offer and how much they charge, along with hours of opertation. This is how I was able to set my rates.
awestbrook713 10:06 AM 09-13-2011
When I became registered I was given a rate sheet for my area but it was from 2008 so I am looking for more recent. There is only one actual daycare center in the area so I could call them, the rest is just ppl caring for children in their homes unregistered.
daycare 10:15 AM 09-13-2011
I see, yeah I keep asking my licensing for an updated one as the last one was put out in 2009, but they keep telling me they will but then never do...lol

I would call everyone!

My prices are right down the middle, not too high and not too low. Just call and act as a parent in need of care for their child. I hate it when people do it to me, but we have to do our homework so we know where to put our rates....
awestbrook713 11:31 AM 09-13-2011
I'm sitting here looking at the market rates and see it was 2009 as well not 2008. So if I were to go with the weekly rates as of 10-01-09 the rates for under 1 1/2 is $140, 1 1/2-2 $139, 3-5 $135, 6-12$130. If I were to use rates like these how do you start to figure in a second child. I would be willing to give a discount for second child just don't know what. The other thing is the two families I am worried about the most I know would qualify for payment assistance so if I give them the info and they don't use it and complain about the prices thats their problem right?
daycare 11:39 AM 09-13-2011
I do offer discounts and this is how I do it.

I offer sibling discounts and monthly discounts for paying account in full one month in advance. BUT only under these terms.

I offer a 5% discount off the total monthly bill ONLY if the payment is made ON TIME. so if the payment is late in october, then they will not get a discount in november.

If the parents don't like your price DONT CHANGE IT... you will regret it later....trust me on this one... I mean if it is only going to be a matter of a few dollars go ahead, but don't discount it to make them happy, because in the end, you won't be....

p.s. I didnt understand your rates....lol sorry
awestbrook713 11:45 AM 09-13-2011
I look at these rates and they make me uncomfortable if that makes sense at all. I have either been cheating myself really bad or these maybe more for a city like area. I feel like one of the children in my care when they start to whine lol " but i don't know how!!" Why does this have to be so difficult and why do I have to be such a chicken. I am going to a class tonight for for Intensive technical assistance I'm hoping I can get some answers to my hard to answer questions. You are being so much help daycare thank you and I'm sorry for whining
daycare 11:50 AM 09-13-2011
you can whine all you want... I a def to it....lol

I know its hard starting out and trying to figure out how to make everyone happy. BUT one thing that you have to remember is:

Why you started this business and you have to make yourself happy first or you can't make anyone else happy.....

I have never heard of that class. Is that a form of a state program for daycare assistance?
TomCopeland 12:49 PM 09-13-2011
Your local child care resource and referral agency will have rate information.
awestbrook713 12:50 PM 09-13-2011
It is actually called excellence in childcare. I am not 100% sure what it is about but guessing I will find out tonight and can always fill you in.

I just sat down and figured out when I will have kids and not and with the spots I am holding for potentials this just isn't worth it. I am drowning and fast I have to make a change and it might end up being extreme, but for the best in the long run. There is no way I can charge a rate that will give me any kind of income with the amount of hours any of the kids will be here for.
daycare 01:01 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
It is actually called excellence in childcare. I am not 100% sure what it is about but guessing I will find out tonight and can always fill you in.

I just sat down and figured out when I will have kids and not and with the spots I am holding for potentials this just isn't worth it. I am drowning and fast I have to make a change and it might end up being extreme, but for the best in the long run. There is no way I can charge a rate that will give me any kind of income with the amount of hours any of the kids will be here for.
sounds great, I am always open to hear about classes. For some strange reason the ones the county offers are always scheduled during the day or at 6:00 PM when I still can't go. I would loev to hear about it.

Don't stress, just get your letter out to the parents about teh necessary changes that need to be made. If they cant comit to your changes, then you will find people who will. Like I said before, you can't bend so much that you have to change everything for everyone......lol I should take my own advice...lol

How long have you been open? Are you having trouble filling spots? I would start adviertising right now. Some of the parents may not be able to afford to adapt to your new changes, so you will have to find the ones that will make a great fit.

one word of advice I wish I had gotten long ago is: DOn't take a child/famiy for the sake of the $ or filling a spot. You will be miserable. Wait it out. You will find the right ones that you want for your business and it takes time to weed them out.
Tags:rates - fair and reasonable
Reply Up