Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Guess I Need An Early Drop Off Fee...
AfterSchoolMom 05:43 AM 01-06-2012
My contract has a fee for late pickups, but not for early drop offs. I've just never had it happen, at least not more than five or ten minutes or so.

This morning I'm upstairs getting dressed, I had only been up about five minutes and I had JUST starting getting my own kids ready for school, and all the lights are still off downstairs. It's pitch black out.

I'm brushing my teeth when I hear the doorbell ring. My youngest goes running downstairs, then comes back up and says "X" is here early! I rush to get finished and get a shirt on and go downstairs..... there stands DCM with DCK in my pitch black TV room.

She was nice an apologized about it, but I couldn't turn her away b/c she's a teacher and doesn't normally do drop offs. Apparently Dad had an early meeting today. She said "if he had dropped off it'd have to have been an hour ago." Haha! Um, no. I told her that that would have been totally unacceptable as we're still asleep at that time. I was so astounded that they were here at all that I didn't really say too much else.

When they pick up this afternoon, though, we'll have to have a talk. I don't do random drop offs an hour earlier than they're contracted for unless I'm getting compensated for it. DCD knew at some point yesterday, even if it was last night, that he had an early meeting today. Yesterday would have been the time to mention it!!!

To make matters worse, I'm pregnant and have been just exhausted all the time....I need all of the rest I can get. I refuse to get up any earlier than I already am. If they needed earlier drop offs then they should have said so when we interviewed.
Breezy 05:48 AM 01-06-2012
Ugh, how rude! So sorry!!
AfterSchoolMom 05:48 AM 01-06-2012
Just noticed that I misspelled my thread title. Sorry!
countrymom 05:55 AM 01-06-2012
this is what I don't understand, people know the day before if they have an appointment or a meeting, why do they wait till the day of, to inform us. I have a dad who would call in the early morning asking if he can bring his kid early (he's an afternoon drop off) because his other child has an orthodontist appointment, I know for a fact that those are schedualed way in advance, drives me crazy.
Zoe 06:00 AM 01-06-2012
I really don't think it occurs to parents sometimes how things work. I know that when I was on the other side of things, I really didn't think about how it affected the provider. Bad, I know, but true.

Hopefully after the talk, they'll get it and ask permission before interrupting your morning like that.
momofboys 06:02 AM 01-06-2012
Wow - so how early was she? I would definitely let them know that any early drop-offs must be pre=approved & that there will be an extra fee included.
AfterSchoolMom 06:17 AM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Wow - so how early was she? I would definitely let them know that any early drop-offs must be pre=approved & that there will be an extra fee included.
An hour early.
cheerfuldom 06:31 AM 01-06-2012
oh no, no, no....I would have turned them away and told them to come back in an hour.
momofboys 06:37 AM 01-06-2012
This really bothers me - a whole hour early. If it were me I would be in the shower & my DH would have already left for work! Where is the common courtesy? Couldn't they at least text/call last night to ask if it was okay - much better than showing up at your doorstep 1 hr early. I would definitely let them know tonight that you MUST have advance warning & I would let them know they owe you extra for this, too. Can you tell I'm ticked off for you? I once had a school teacher DCM who normally showed up @ 7:45 w/kids in tow. One morning she called me at about 6:45 to ask a quick question - I thought it was odd & wondered why she did not wait until drop-off. Then literally 5 min after I got off the phone w/her she was at my doorstep. I think she was calling to verify I was awake I was totally dumbfounded & didn't know what to say - I did say you MUST let me know if you are coming early - I did mention that had she come 2 min later I would have been in the shower & she would have been stuck on my doorstep.
wdmmom 08:06 AM 01-06-2012
I lost a daycare parent over dropping off 15 minutes early and I didn't care!!!

I don't open til 730am! My daycare parents know my hours. Granted, I'd be understanding IF

1. The parents had discussed an earlier drop off in advance!

2. Gotten the approval from me beforehand.

I don't do early drop offs. My policy on late pickups is $1.00 per minute. My early drop offs is $1.00 per minute.

Wanna come in an hour early?! I'll get up for $60!
SandeeAR 08:09 AM 01-06-2012
I tell all my parents and sign up, When my front blinds are open, I am open. I won't take children before then. I have a phone alarm that rings at 7:30

I may have one or two parents in the driveway, but NOBODY at my door, until those blinds open.
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Just noticed that I misspelled my thread title. Sorry!
Fixed it!

I have a fee as well but it is not called a late fee it is more of an "outside your scheduled hours" fee. I charge the same $1 per minute for early AND late arrivals/pickups. If parents need to arrive early for reasons you stated they need to have it pre-arranged.
Cat Herder 12:37 PM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
oh no, no, no....I would have turned them away and told them to come back in an hour.
....... Or $60, cash, in hand at the door.

My children's time is VERY expensive.
Lucy 12:39 PM 01-06-2012
I would instruct your son not to answer the door just in case something like this happens again. For me, if they come early, too bad. I don't answer the door until I'm open. If it's a couple min early and I know they are out there, I will, but no more than about THREE minutes! If they are ringing my bell early, "I was brushing my teeth and didn't hear you". Or "I was still in my bathrobe". Etc. They can stand there and wait until opening time. Maybe they'll think twice about it tomorrow.

I realize you couldn't stop your son fast enough from answering the door, but if this were at my house, I would not have answered the door and they would have eventually realized they were WAY early, and hopefully go back to their car. If they called, I would sound as sleepy as possible and say "Oh, I don't even open for another hour." Basically, just make it as uncomfortable for them as possible so that they won't do it again. One time when it was like 15 degrees outside and someone was 20 min early, I answered the door in my nightgown with pillow head, glanced at the clock, and said, "wow, you guys are early!". Makes them really uncomfortable. But hey, they aren't likely to do it again!!!
daycare 12:46 PM 01-06-2012
This is what mine says..... I don't have any more issues.

Provider will try to be as flexible as possible if given proper notification. The *** DC uses an atomic clock that is stationed next to the daily log book, please set your clocks according to this time, as it will be used when determining early drop off and late pick up.

Please understand that arriving early or picking up late can cause chaotic moments for the provider, as well as the children. Early drop off and late pick up will result in a $1.00 per minute per child charge for each minute that you drop off early or pick up late. There will be a 5 minute grace period applied for both drop off and pick up. While things do happen out of our control, please do not let overtime become a habit.

Regardless of notification, any person(s) that drops off or picks up more than 10 minutes early or late will be required to pay the early/late fee of $1.00 per minute, less the 5 minute grace period. It is recommend, that you have a backup plan if you cannot drop off your child at the contracted time. The same applies for picking up. Failure to abide by contracted hours will result in termination of care. If a change in contract time is needed, please speak to the provider.
momofboys 06:10 AM 01-07-2012
How did your after-school conversation go w/DCM?
AfterSchoolMom 07:36 AM 01-07-2012
I talked to DCD about it, and I added a note to their daily report just in case he didn't say anything to DCM. He didn't apologize or anything (wasn't expecting it) but I think he gets it, and I don't expect it to happen again.

They're actually turning out to be very reasonable people...we're just working out the bugs right now.
PitterPatter 10:51 AM 01-07-2012
Maybe you can make it a rule that no one answers the door before a certain time. This is 1 problem I don't have because I refuse open my door anymore. My son knows to never open the door for anyone but his Grandma so no meeting in my living room.

I use to overlook it and just bite my tongue when parents arrived early but now after being walked on every which way and them arriving earlier and earlier, I put a stop to it without a hassle by simply ignoring them. I don't care if it's just 10 minutes early, I will go on about my morning routine and let them continue to knock. I have been asked angrily why I didn't open the door and I simply said I was not dressed yet as I don't open until 8:00 am! (That was summer) During school months I take my child to school in the morning and arrive back about 10 til. I have arrived back at home to an early parent sitting in my chair texting allowing their kids to roam the whole porch (runs the length of the whole house) and destroy my property. When she saw me coming she jumped up and started correcting the kids. I have also gotten property destroyed (nicnacs thrown off the deck and shattered) while on my way to get the door so now I gate the porch off so they can only get to the door. Ok rambling sorry.

I hope this doesn't become a problem for you. Crossing my fingers
PitterPatter 10:52 AM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I talked to DCD about it, and I added a note to their daily report just in case he didn't say anything to DCM. He didn't apologize or anything (wasn't expecting it) but I think he gets it, and I don't expect it to happen again.

They're actually turning out to be very reasonable people...we're just working out the bugs right now.
Glad your problem is solved, guess I should read all enteries before replying huh
jenny31052 01:47 PM 01-07-2012
That happened to me... Dad dropped off, and I was not downstairs yet
(6am) . I was still waking up and the phone rings. It was DCM, calling from work, saying that the husband was outside my door. It was 30 degrees out, I would have left him there, but I felt bad for the baby, so let them in, I was still in my PJ, my hair were a mess, and while I was taking the girl (who screams every morning at drop off) my son woke up upstairs, freaked out by the noise, and the screming baby in the living room. I was pissed. Dad left without saying anything, like I'm supposed to be available 24/7.

In the evening Mom was mortified, and was really sorry. I told her that I usually come downstair 10-15 minutes before the first kid is scheduled to show up. She was supposed to be dropped off at 6.45am, and not 6am. I told her that they need to call me, email me, text me, the night before if they have to drop off early, otherwise I cannor garantee I will be there to open the door.

It happened again, same family. Dad droppped off 30 minutes earlier. He waited in the car. I gave another reminder, and so far, so good!
momma2girls 02:15 PM 01-07-2012
I unlock my door, and turn on lights a couple min. before my opening time. I also dress all children that are still here, 10 min. before my pick up time. Otherwise they come right at my pick up time and can be here 10-15 min. later, talking and laughing, etc.. letting their children run around with their shoes on, etc... I have been trying very hard getting them all ready for pick up!!
PolarCare 04:59 PM 01-07-2012
I read stuff like this and I'm so grateful I have a gate at the end of my driveway. If someone comes by before I'm up and around in the morning, there's a great big locked gate at the end of the drive and they're stuck waiting til somebody comes down and unlocks it, which isn't til opening hours, when I've stowed my dog away and I'm dressed and ready to deal. I have a family too. We're full up on rudeness and inconsideration around here.
Blackcat31 05:34 PM 01-07-2012
Yeah, these posts make me glad I do daycare in a separate house. They can come at 3 a.m. if they want but I can't take kids until I actually arrive at work.
PitterPatter 05:54 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yeah, these posts make me glad I do daycare in a separate house. They can come at 3 a.m. if they want but I can't take kids until I actually arrive at work.
This sounds like the perfect solution!! Do you have an extra house lying around that I can borrow/rent Cat?
Mary Poppins 06:08 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
This sounds like the perfect solution!! Do you have an extra house lying around that I can borrow/rent Cat?
SERIOUSLY!!!!

I may move the family into our RV and just use the house for dc only.
skittles 06:20 PM 01-07-2012
I recently increased my late fees with my new once a year contract. I did not go up on rate. All my families have set hours but always fail to abide by them. So I have I close at 5:00 and after that it is $2.00 per minute, after 5:15 its $5.00 per minute, after 5:30 its $10.00 per minute, after 6pm its automatic termination. I had so had it with late pick up. I think daycare should be treated as school, once its closed kids are expected to leave. If parents arrive early its $1.00 per minute. I have not had to deal with that one yet. Anyways, I have ticked off some parents with my fees but I tell them at least I did not go up on my regular rate! 100.00 for 50 hours a week around here thats a good rate for fulltime!
MyKzooFamily 06:07 PM 01-09-2012
Wow, I would have been livid! I use to dread getting up on time for 7:30am arrivals, let alone an EARLY arrival!

When I start interviewing again, in the pamphlet it will state that we are NOT open until the sign on the front of the door says "open", or something. I was going to figure out how to do something with my porch light. But I like the light on at night, and I want it to be on so parents can see. I'll have to figure out a way to show that I'm 'open', so when I DON'T answer the door early, they know why.
AfterSchoolMom 05:35 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily:
Wow, I would have been livid! I use to dread getting up on time for 7:30am arrivals, let alone an EARLY arrival!

When I start interviewing again, in the pamphlet it will state that we are NOT open until the sign on the front of the door says "open", or something. I was going to figure out how to do something with my porch light. But I like the light on at night, and I want it to be on so parents can see. I'll have to figure out a way to show that I'm 'open', so when I DON'T answer the door early, they know why.
If you have a doorbell, I recommend disabling it.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:41 PM 01-11-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
this is what I don't understand, people know the day before if they have an appointment or a meeting, why do they wait till the day of, to inform us. I have a dad who would call in the early morning asking if he can bring his kid early (he's an afternoon drop off) because his other child has an orthodontist appointment, I know for a fact that those are schedualed way in advance, drives me crazy.
Not to hijack, just had to agree with how I cannot get this figured out either. Few weeks back a mom called to ask if her son could get off the bus here (he wasn't scheduled that day, but it would have been fine). Thing is, she knew before hand that she might need him to get off here, but waited until the very last minute. So last minute that the bus is dropping off, and pulling away as she's still getting to her question of "can you get him off the bus?" When she finally got to the point, I had to tell her the bus had just pulled away while she was talking! She got really upset and said, "but no one's at home!"
DaisyMamma 11:30 AM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
SO TRUE!

I would have been too stunned to say anything then either. But I would have turned them away. Sorry, we just got up and I'm not open for another hour. Also, start locking the door before you go to bed.

I still can't believe they came into a dark house! You obviously WERE NOT UP!
DaisyMamma 11:30 AM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by preschool/daycare teacher:
not to hijack, just had to agree with how i cannot get this figured out either. Few weeks back a mom called to ask if her son could get off the bus here (he wasn't scheduled that day, but it would have been fine). Thing is, she knew before hand that she might need him to get off here, but waited until the very last minute. So last minute that the bus is dropping off, and pulling away as she's still getting to her question of "can you get him off the bus?" when she finally got to the point, i had to tell her the bus had just pulled away while she was talking! She got really upset and said, "but no one's at home!"

oh well not your problem!
Texasjeepgirl 12:55 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by PolarCare:
I read stuff like this and I'm so grateful I have a gate at the end of my driveway. If someone comes by before I'm up and around in the morning, there's a great big locked gate at the end of the drive and they're stuck waiting til somebody comes down and unlocks it, which isn't til opening hours, when I've stowed my dog away and I'm dressed and ready to deal. I have a family too. We're full up on rudeness and inconsideration around here.

Can I say 'ditto'... We live inside our retail furniture store... we have a private apartment.. and daycare has a private entrance... property is over an acre..6 ft chain link fence with razor wire across the top... double wide gate entrance.. when I open the gate.. the daycare is open....

Unregistered 08:06 PM 01-14-2012
Oh no! Our doors stay locked until 7:00 on our clock, then the parents can come in. You will see many cars sitting in the parking lot but i will NOT open the door any earlier. Another child care center that i worked at opened at 630 & they had a keypad to get in, if they came in before 630, i would not go into the baby room until 630 on the dot, so if they wanted to leave their child in an empty dark room by theirselves, they waited till i came in & turned on the lights! its sad to say, that those kids who were there at 630/7 were also the ones still there at 530/6 .... i understand some ppl work long hours, but your children suffer from the lack of parenting, so DONT be mad at me, when you come to pick up your child & he doesnt want to go with you, because he has been with me the last 10hrs of the day!
Tags:early arrival fee
Reply Up